COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I bet you 1,000$ money order that it will never cost money :D

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Honestly, this version works so well, that i could easily keep using it for years with XP. It even works with Vista, so, it would have plenty of future ahead of it. It's like Kerio 2.15, which is still an excellent firewall for light resource consumption, but for the more paranoid. :D

Personally, from time to time i change security applications, as a hobby. I like tinkering with them. I hope in an OA Free "golden version" soon. At the end, one can have enough freebies to last for years, even if they do decide to cancell the free versions. :D

Thinking about Comodo, there is certainly one gain they have with giving it for free. Apart pubblicity, they also get over time a HUGE database of "safe" applications (through submission by users), that they may use in other -non free- programs in the future.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Its still bugs you too much. I am always installing new things and I dont need some firewall asking me if I want to install it since I was the one to download it anyways. Game patches and driver updates for example.

4. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Could you not just go.... right click on comodo icon---defense + security level-----disabled ....every time you install something and then switch it back on afterwards?

That's what I do if I have to do a large install.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Just bring up the GUI and select 'installation mode'.

6. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

That still throws up pop ups though in my experience albeit less of them

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Who wants to bother with that all the time. Even OA did that. ZAAS doesnt bother me about installs. And what if the icon is on auto hide and hidden.

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

What if something untoward gets installed while ZAAS is not bothering you?

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok we are getting off topic. I am a gamer and I am forever patching games or installing new video card drivers atleast once a week or so. These are trusted patches and drivers. I have better things to do when I am trying to improve my pc then hitting allow 10 times.

10. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Next question...why were you hitting allow 10 times? When you could of pressed it once :D.

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

cause thats what happens when you install someting using Comodo or Online Armor. Drivers especially.Tons of pop ups.

12. Fuzzfas

Personally, when i have to install something big and want to avoid problems (like installing a game), i right click on comodo icon and use "trainning mode". In this way it doesn't alert and learns all new habbits of the game.

For ordinary programs i use "treat as installer".

13. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

And what if your system has been up and running for awhile and your icons are auto hidden. Comodo does not let you gain access to it via a desktop icon or start menu. Point being you shouldnt have to go that far all the time. I just installed COD 1.4 patch using ZAAS and it didnt bug me. ZAAS popped a warning about program change after the patch was applied and the game was launched.

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Comodo V3 is a great application. Only for gamers, the pending files/programs to assess is a hassle. Xfire for instance auto patches the games you are using/subscribed on. For most Security Programs this can simply not be handled in a user friendly way.

Only application which could handle it well is GesWall.

My son is on Vista64 and until Comodo handles it this way, we will keep using UAC + Defender + PRSC + VistaFireWallControl. STill we have 281 days to go before I have to renew our PRSC lisence.

Big help would be that I can change the default rules for untrusted applications. Programs on the pending list are marked as untrusted, point is I did not find where to change the rules for 'untrusted applications in D+', even setting off the image execution option did not help.

So either a tip on how to handle this, e.g. allowing pending applications to do everything, but install a driver, change a registry setting (with my own additionals), change a protected file (of which I had losened up the security).

Another smart thing would be to split the rules for pending programs in two categories: re-installs of existing programs and new installs. It is a bit silly COmodo uses the same security level. When you configure D+ correctly, no program can be messed with without you knowing. So why apply the same protection for new/unknown and already on you harddisk/known programs.

Also the pending files does not seem to be integrated in the whitelist (why do I have to allow Avast all the time?)

Regards Kees

15. Fuzzfas

I am not sure i understand what you mean... You mean icons auto-hidden in the task bar, next to the systray? I don't see any problem there... I can open all programs. What do you mean by gaining access "to it"?

Yesterday i installed a 3 CD game using trainning mode and Comodo didn't ask anything. I think your system might be indigestive to Comodo or you haven't understood well how it works.

Said that, ZA is of course a no brainer, since you don't need to change any setting to do anything. But it comes up to what one needs and what he can put up with. I had a ZA antivirus licence, gifted it to a friend without ever running it beyond the trial period. I also got the free ZA Antispyware offer and i have yet to install it. Why? Because ZA is more heavy on my system, doesn't provide the same degree of lockdown and behaves worse in Emule...

I would rather run Ashampoo firewall free than ZA. The friend to which i gifted the ZA licence, stopped using it, as soon as i informed him about the Bit Defender free offer. Because ZA AV was making his PC run like molasses. He was joking to me that he could make coffee before booting into Windows. :D

Different system configurations, different problems.
    Different people, different tastes and needs.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, any discussion on CFP forums about that?

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I noticed that DEfence+ doesn,t have any MD5 checksum for application execution rules. Am I correct?

I made a rule for a.exe to allow it,s execution and another rule for b.exe to block its execution. Then I renamed b.exe to a.exe and this renamed b.exe was able to run without popup.

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

See thats odd. Comodo and OA slowed my system down. Especially browsing. ZAAS has a slow boot up thats all. I know it uses more memory but yet my pc runs faster. Honestly. With OA and Comodo FF opened up slowly. With ZAAS it opens up in secs. I know I can make the icon show. I know more about pc's then most. I built my own. I spent about a week with Comodo and could not be bothered. Comodo 2.4 was alot better. I spent awhile with OA till it started screwing up my pc and locking up all games. OA would not let me play WOW all of a sudden. I reinstalled ZAAS and my pc runs great and the GUI is so very user friendly. I installed it on my aunts and cousins pc. Comodo is a good firewall but the alerts need to be brought down a notch.

21. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

You are correct. Comodo 3 doesn't control checksums.

If an application tries to create/rename/modify/delete a protected file you will receive an alert, unless "protected files/folders" is set to allow for that application (explorer.exe is allowed dy default). Also the renamed file will appear in the Pending files list.

If the change happens in safe mode, I think Comodo will not notice it

22. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Maybe some of your patching sides use a browser exploit.. not likely bot not unlikely too.

You should not focuss your mind on such things.
    Think so.
    No don´t think so, it is a profit thing... they don´t want to protect you against keyloggers only show their firewall abilities and unhooking resistance. :D o_O :D

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Anyone see this? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2236657,00.asp For what it's worth Comodo Pro 3.0 received a very good review here. I gotta say I installed Comodo again because of this review and well, I'm quite pleased with it. I only had Avast Home and Spyware Terminator running for a few days when I decided to uninstalled ST and try ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware again. However, even though ZAAS ran well with Avast and I liked it, after trying Comodo again, I like using Comodo a little more. Using both so close together I can't see much of a difference in PC or Internet speed between the two, but I do believe Comodo gets the edge here. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  24. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Thanks for the link :)

I just installed Comodo today after changing my security setup. I had used Comodo in the past when I was on XP and liked it alot. The Defense+ module complements AVG in which proactive protection is it's weak point. After a couple of hours of training everything is running smooth as silk, system is quick and web browsing likewise.

I did have problems at first only because I installed Comodo before AVG which on the next reboot caused a kernel failure in AVG. After using System Restore to go back before the CFP install, I then installed AVG and then CFP . Everything went ok afterwards.

25. Diver

Diver Registered Member

A PC Mag Editor's Choice for a product like Comodo is definitely newsworthy. My take on why they like it is because it can be set up either for experts with Defense+ on, or for Joe Sixpack with Defense+ off plus its free. Honestly, I don't know how any ordinary computer user could cope with Defense+.

I wonder how good it is with Defense+ off or turned down to the minimum setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.