COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

After a few tries that put me in the "I cant stand this thing group" I seem to be conquering Comodo 3. It must be that I hate setting up new firewalls. The first half hour with this thing is brutal, but it does get better after that. Anyway, I can see what all the excitement is about. Unless something unexpected goes wrong in the next few days, this is a keeper.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

It may be more of a keeper than you think. I had uninstalled CPF a few days ago and yesterday I had installed McAfee VS+ trial. I was surprised when MVS's firewall told me that a Comodo service wanted access to the net. It appears it did not clean itself out fully so rather than trying to fix it I just disabled it.

EDIT: Plus I had to go through the Repository reset again because SecCenter was still showing CPF being installed and on.

Attached Files:

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Defense+ > Common Tasks > View Active Process List

4. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

I installed CFP 3 on my spare XP machine, & spent several hours
    configuring it. When it finally settled down, & was working correctly, I
    made an ATI image of C:\, then disabled both the FW & Defense+.

Next, I uninstalled it with Windows Add/Remove programs, without
    saving the CFP config settings.

The result was that it was gone, no services were left behind, the
    Windows Security Center was operating normally, with Windows Firewall
    operating, and RegSeeker showed nothing left behind. Even the desktop
    shortcut vanished.

5. midway40

With Vista it is a different deal. What I can't understand is that I did a system restore to the point before the install and somehow this service survived it.

As long as it is disabled I guess no harm is being done. When SP1 goes final I plan to do a fresh reinstall anyway.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have never had much luck with system restore on XP or my several months sojourn with Vista. It does help to uninstall first before rolling back, but nothing beats a good image of your system partition.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Oddly enough (or not) I had the exact same thing happen with McAfee... I removed/uninstalled McAfee and installed Jetico, only to have Jetico alert me that parts of McAfee were trying to load. So it's not uncommon. You can remove the services via the registry if you know where to look etc, but for me an image is easiest and the best bet.

8. midway40

Come to think of it, I think I had installed CFP three times. I might not have went back far enough on the restore point. Since I was so relieved to see that SR fixed the ISATAP problem I didn't take notice until McAfee informed me of the service's existance.

9. midway40

After SP1 comes out I plan to reinstall as I mentioned but after I have installed the drivers and updates I also plan to use Vista's full system backup to create a "base" install to work from in the future.

10. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Ok main problem after installing Comodo on any pc. Why the hell does the learning box cover the allow/deny box. After I installed it in my pc and rebooted it was learning for 10 min and the learn box was hiding me from checking off anything else. So I 3 finger saluted it and then went into options and disabled the learn box. And whats this whole "pending file" thing. I have about 200 apps in my pc and I am not going to spend a week clicking "allow" or "deny". Yes I know about learn mode which I did with World Of Warcraft but after I put it back in normal mode it asked me again. Comodo 2.4 was alot better and more user friendly. Comodo 3.0 is too good for itself in my opinion.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

To make it like ZA (better even imo) you can disable D+ and use the good firewall. Best freeware anyway, better than most paid without fuss.

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

The easiest thing to do is to drag the alert window up a bit until you can see the whole window. I complained about learning box behavior in the Comodo forums, but I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed.

Al

13. Dieselman

Ok so disable a products main feature to make it work right. That makes sense why? I was a long time user of Comodo 2.4 which was far more use friendly then 3.0. I also hate having to open it from that taskbar instead of a desktop short cut. Comodo 3.0 may be more secure then 2.4 but 2.4 definetly has a better GUI.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I've said as much where it matters. But Defense + is NOT the main feature, i'm sorry. I disabled it in 2/3 days due to the confusing GUI. The firewall though is top, rules creation a breeze.
    The only problem is hashes, since D+ is disabled - i don't know exactly how the app is verified.
    But since i use SSM, any change in applications is verified anyway, and i get execution control, which is my main concern.

Of course, it's been a while since i boot XP.. but that's for another day.

15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

You can drag the window from behind the pop up's but I agree it's a tad annoying.

Pending files. First click 'Purge' and any no longer kicking around will be removed from the list. Click 'look up' to check if the remaining files have been checked by Comodo. The one's that have can be removed. You can review what's left and submit the one's you don't know.

16. Dieselman

Thats dumb. If your installing this on a completely clean pc which I am why should you be going through this. Its a hassle. Set it and forget I say. I am sticking with ZAAS which is far more user friendly. Aslong as your using one of the top 10 firewalls as reviewed by Matousec you should be good to go. I am constantly forever changing my pc around and especially gaming and installing drivers. I dont need some firewall bugging me 24/7.

17. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure

That's the great thing about having choices; I am sure you can find another firewall which more closely satisfies your "needs".

18. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

Really, Comodo has a great forum where the developers and even the CEO frequently respond to user questions.

Instead of whining and complaining about something that Comodo doesn't do "properly" here, why not just post the same rant in the Comodo forums?
    At least someone within the Comodo organization will be able to see it, and there will be a greater possibility that the "deficiency" will be rectified.

IMO, the action of posting negatively about product A while simultaneously claiming that product B is somehow better in a general forum such as this, without first trying to "enlighten" the developers of product A, is definitely questionable with regards to motive.

19. Dieselman

I have posted stuff and so have others. Its not exactly problems with the program its just the way it runs. No errors or anything. There are alot of others that think Comodo is too much of a pain. I was along time user of Comodo 2.4

20. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hi, Diesel and for everyone else who have problems with Comodo: What should Comodo change to satisfy your needs?

Also, Diesel could you give me the links where you posted on Comodo's forums about the problems with Comodo that you and other have experienced?

That's why I'm so afraid of using Comodo 3.0 because there are still a lot of people who have problems with it, and especially those extremely annoying pop ups who never stop when you try to install something...

Thanks for you help...

21. Dieselman

I would rather just not use it. I am happy with ZAAS which I have free for a year and maybe by then Comodo will be fixed. If your affraid then dont use it cause its very annoying.

22. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I don't know if ZAAS has a hips function or not, but if you just use Comodo 3 with Defence+ disabled, it is a simple to use , great working firewall. If you want to take a short period of time to understand Defence+, you have even greater protection. I simply don't know what all the fuss is about.

23. Dieselman

Ok here we go again. D+ is a feature that sets Comodo apart from any other firewall so why disable it. Its not just the D+ its the whole program. ZAAS doesnt have HIPS but uses a triple threat protection system. Comodo is a good firewall for your average user but if your a gamer and always installing patches and trying out new drivers its a hassle.

24. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Vette you forgot your password or just switching identities :D.

25. Dieselman

What ? Who are you and what is Vette?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.