COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.10.238 BETA Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

CFP v 2 was a bit diffrent. It was having a rather passive HIPS that used to just watch the system, letting applications hook the keyboard, modifoy memory of other applications and create remore thread etc. It used to warn only when during such activity, some applications try for outbound access. It was a big advantage that user will get very few popusp, only when ther is something real fishy going on( except for OLE automation popups and windows messages, I used to turn them off due to frequent popups by these filters).

CFP v 3 is a bit differet. It has a built in HIPS( DefencePlus) that goes one step ahead, and intercept all such activities, like hooking, memory modification etc in real time. Advantage of this approach is that if there is a malware, it will be intercepted at an early stage and the disadvantage is a lot of popups generated by this active HIPS, though different learning modes and esp safe PC mode will off-set this disadvantage to some extent.

I still think that as a FW, v 2 was much more user friendly. It would have been better to use the same concept while improving basic FW function. They could haver produced a separate stand alone HIPS instead( if desired).

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi guys,

the final release will come with 2 additional options:

1. ICS setting
    2. Antileak setting

If you enable antileak it will pass all the leaktests. ;)

ps. this info came directly the development team. :)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s very good.
    Seems they will add a pssive HIPS as well, like the one in CFP v. Am I true?

Any links for this info BTW!

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

has anyone put this firewall/HIPS through the usual tests : killdisk, keylogger tests, registry protection tests, etc...?

cause i haven't messed with the beta yet (still have v2.4). but the GUI and the resource usage on CPF v3 look excellent.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh yes! I forgot KillDisk, amy be Peter can do it... !

6. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

I don't think so. Does it have for example anti-port-scaner functionaly or "block ip for few minutes" while smb is atacking?

No.:/

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Yes ?

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Of course it has this feature. It was there in v2 and also in v3 (though disabled in beta4).
    Did you really tested Comodo ?

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

In Yo Face! :D

Attached Files:

• cpfb.jpg
      cpfb.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
  10. prozabor

Ohh.. sorry. I was wrong. Did You hear that IT experts don't like COMODO ant they think that it is not so good as in tests?

11. Coolio10

So they think matousec is wrong for putting comodo in first for leak testing?

What IT experts?

12. Coolio10

Where is this information? Private part of forum for mods? :D

13. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I haven't tried any of those test methods, but as a simple test, Defense+ does prevent disabling either cmdagent.exe or cfp.exe from Task Manager.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I just downloaded comodo not the beta. I am just wondering is this a good free firewall I no nothing about comodo and why? In the summuray view In the right corner where it shows My ip address on the bottom it says mac address whats up with that I have windows xp any other tips and advice I would appreciate thank you. So Far I like it nice GUI.

15. Coolio10

Not the best place to ask here. Everyone at wilders has their own personal opinion so your better off checking download sites.

http://www.download.com/Comodo-Firewall-Pro/3000-10435_4-10750532.html?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1969207,00.asp

Do not worry about the mac address. Comodo is just giving system information. Everyone has one.

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks again Aigle and thank you pandlouk. I'm more concerned about outbound control since I have a router. I'm happy with OA right now, but I'm always curious about new products. I have used Comodo 2.3 and 2.4 and I wish they would have polished 2.4 a little more and fixed the little bugs.

Cheers

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I do not know how exactly it will work.

Yes, I cannot provide a link since it was posted in the mod section of the comodo forums.

ps. I do not know if those features will be included in the first stable release or in future updates.

18. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Well we saw how quickly the ability to disable Defense+ when installing was pushed out when it was supposed to be out after the final release :D

19. prozabor

I read it on one page but I have forgotten its adress. They think that inbound protection is worse than for example Kasperky IS or ZoneAlarm.

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

It has been a while since I used COMODO 2.4, but it had extremely strong inbound protection even when compared to it's competitors. COMODO 3 will be even better.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Is this a prophecy or do you have inside *technical* information? If so, please share it. :cool:

22. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The current Beta already has some network filtering features that 2.4 did not.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

QUESTION - When the RC or final version 3 is issued, will I be able to install it over the beta? If not, will I have to re-enter all my configs?

24. Coolio10

You can use export tool under misc

25. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Don't know how long Comodo have been making Firewalls but have to admit they've done a really impressive job there. They not only actively seek opinions and suggestions, they implement them too if they help make a better product.

They must be worrying some of the vendors who market paid for Firewalls with the sheer pace of their development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.