COMODO DiskShield 1.0.51539.35 BETA Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Adric, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Battle over for me - I've finally got something I can test software with across reboots. Just tested it on an old machine, and although it was a little slow (probably due to the age of the machine and low memory) it worked and worked well! System changes kept until I said otherwise. Brilliant!

Not sure how it stacks up on the security front but I'm sure some of you guys with more knowledge on these things will test that!

3. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

This is great improvement being able to keep changes across multiple reboots and then restoring to your previous state before using the disk sheild.

This would be exxcellent for using at schools or testing at home

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Works great so far. Its looking bad for other developers of similar paid for software. If this gets off the ground it could spell the end for them.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Is DiskShield similar to MS SteadyState or DeepFreeze? Is it pretty easy to figure out?

6. Kyle1420

Just try it out mate :) It's very similiar to Returnil - Pro. It's free though ;)

7. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

This works great with testing software with reboots and the like.

Thank you Comodo !! Bye, bye Returnil free .....

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Pete,

Have you tested this ? Could be the Returnil RVS killer alternative and better as it is free (atm), use virtual drive, keep sessions during reboot and great support. Not sure if this will protect the MBR and keep the nasties out.

Unfortunately, this does not have the exclude files and folders feature that ShadowDefender uses which is important for me, else, this will be the one for me. Again provided if the protection is strong.:rolleyes:

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I agree with farmerlee, this thing works great. I am highly impressed. Uninstalled Sandboxie (at least for now) to give DiskShield a fair shake. It seemed Sandboxie and DiskShield didn't play well together (Firefox slowed to a crawl) at least for me. At present I'm running XP Pro SP3 with SRP. Browsing is so much more snappy now. Some people over at the Comodo forum are reporting BSOD with DiskShield but luckily no problems so far.

Later...

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

the only competitor is shadow user with more advanced features ,but with less reliability.

11. 3xist

3xist Guest

Keeps nasties out.

I personally, Put with this on a VM, and messed up the Reg with LOADS of malware on it. I had DiskShield, and One Reboot everything was back to normal!

This eventually will be in CIS too (Comodo Internet Security). exclude files and folders will come in good time. :) Comodo DiskShield an extremely powerful solution... perhaps too powerful for the average user, I love it!

Josh

12. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Could someone explain to me what the virtual drive is for. I know when it is activated a .img file is saved there.

1) What does this img file contain, is it the whole image BEFORE changes are made, or AFTER changes are made, or is it just the changes?

2) How do you view the img file to get at the files?

3) Is it possible to restore this image, if so how?

Thank you

Terry

13. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I too wanted to know that, what it is for :rolleyes:
    i know this , the files on virtual drive is not deleted on reboot.But i dont knowwhether it has to do something with imaging.....

14. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

For those who are interested,

I uninstalled this latest DiskShield beta release due to the following observations and experiences under Vista 32 SP1 with hardware DEP(OptOut) enabled.

-38-40K total working set memory for the two running processes when the primary system partition is not shielded. I consider this to be excessive and unacceptable.
    -Enabling the shield takes too long. In my case, it took 1-min. and 25-sec.
    -It takes 2-3x longer to shutdown my computer when coming out of a shielded session and rebooting.

On the other hand, I found DiskShield to be relatively stable and worked as advertised on my system. Until the above listed issues have been addressed, I will stick with Returnil 2008 Personal Edition(free) for testing purposes.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

15. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I just tested CDS on my PentiumM 1.5Ghz with 512mb RAM and it was pretty sluggish. Then again it is a pretty old laptop. Bootup and getting to the desktop while waiting for the hard drive to stop thrashing took a good 5 minutes or so after rebooting to "recover" the previous session.

I also agree with CogitoErgoSum that memory usage seemed kind of high considering it's idle state. The service and the CDS process took about 35,000k in total WITHOUT the shield enabled at the time.

Otherwise, I did some testing with deleting a few files and rebooting and it seemed to work well.

Also, maybe if someone can clear this up for me as I'm new to this kind of virtualization. I don't see myself leaving this running 24/7. However, this might seem useful for certain times and cases. So all I do is just enable the Shield on a certain partition first, set it to "Do not keep Session", and reboot when necessary? Is that it?

I don't see myself using the virtual drive feature since I have multiple drives/partitions. Does this also work fine in a limited user account??

16. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I just tested it on Vista 64. After the reboot most of my RAM disappeared in to a black hole :eek: Suddenly only 490MB of 4GB was available.
    When I looked in Process Explorer there where no signs (processes) of Diskshield or what processes uses more than 1.8GB of the ram, so I guess it hides the processes rootkit style?
    Apparently it uses at least two services (cdsmon and cdsraw) I noticed that when I did a quick and dirty uninstall with Totalinstall, it could not turn off those two services (or devices, Total install told me).
    Me think I wait until the 64bit version gets out of beta :)

17. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

In my case there were two DiskShield processes running in task manager each using less than 2000kbs of Ram each.

18. Yoda1953

Da@#it, just got the dreaded BSOD. Oh, well, imaging your drive before testing beta's is a must !!

19. raakii

raakii Registered Member

:thumb:
    works excellent for me and my friends..great for reliable testing environment

20. Kyle1420

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

Can you post the BSOD at the forums pls. We want to get an RC as soon as possible. :)

Thx m8.

22. Yoda1953

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  23. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The service wouldn't even start on 2008 Server x64. It did slow down the machine and eat up my paging file though. Lots of drive activity too, although I don't know what it was doing.

24. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Gave this a try but it slowed my machine to a crawl - worse than anything else I've ever tried. And when I rebooted, my machine took at least five minutes to shut down! It was almost quicker for me to restore a disk image with ATI than use this. A real shame. If the final version is quicker, then I'll give it another go, but until then, not for me.

25. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I find it working fine , hmm lots of bugs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.