COMODO Disk Encryption 1.0.0.43 BETA Released!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 3xist, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3xist

3xist Guest

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_dis..._encryption_10043_beta_released-t24667.0.html

Josh

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Interesting. Is this an open-source project? I like that it supports hardware keys in their first version. TrueCrypt still has that as a future improvement. It would take a lot to move me away from the trusted and true - but I'll put this beta on one of my boxes and give it a spin. Thanks for the post!

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I didn't know Comodo made open-source products? o_O o_O

4. Someone

Hi

What's the difference between this and Truecrypt?

Thanks

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How many projects are these guys working on, jeez. I hope they have a sizable operation going, lest I worry about one or more projects not getting enough attention, meaning bugs and such being overlooked. Good grief, a firewall, antivirus, buffer overflow app, Returnil clone, and now encryption? More power to them if they can pull them all off successfully.

6. Someone

Hi

I agree, I'm a bit worried some of products will have many bugs or good features which are not implemented or something because of this. I mean, they currently have 10 products. I hope I'm wrong.

BTW does anyone know how large Comodo is?

Thanks

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

From the looks of it, I'm assuming we can probably knock the AV off that list. Has it even slightly budged forward in the last few months?

8. Someone

Hi

Well I haven't used it but I would assume they are at least still adding signatures to it?

Thanks

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

The antivirus is still being developed into version 3 which there should be a beta at the end of this month. Also CIS (Comodo Internet Security) is being developed too. They have many projects going but this should not take away from the quality because comodo has tons of developers for each product. Just look at all the names with the staff tag in comodo's forum.

10. Someone

That sounds interesting! Is it going to be free too?

But do you know approximately how many people there are?

Thanks

11. Coolio10

Should be free.

Melih says over 200 developers.

12. Someone

Hi

OK Thanks!

13. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I dont see why Comodo are jumping in now with drive encryption. Truecrypt are pretty much dominating that single handedly, and the only way that comodo could beat TrueCrypt, is if they develope it nowm, and then bug test it for 3 years, and then go back in time to now, and release it fully tested and working with "Windows 7" Because TrueCrypt already have this covered. Oh and it would have to be open source. I love a good closed source firewall, but when it comes to encryption, i flat out REFUSE to use closed source of any kind.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, I don't fault Comodo for trying to get into that market too. After all, isn't competition a GOOD thing? It's what keeps us from having another Microsoft company to deal with. I think they make perfectly fine products, some may not work to the liking of everyone, but I don't think anyone here thinks Comodo is a terrible company. I sometimes wonder how many products they will make free until they one day decide "Whoa boys, our income is a little short here", but other than that, more power to them.

15. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I love the firewall they make, but when it comes to encryption, i have a few questions. For example, Is it going to be opensource and freeware? and What will set it apart from Truecrypt? You can have all the features under the sun, but if its closed source, there will be a huge population of people who will not use it (myself included). When it comes to encryption, open source is the only way to go.

16. Coolio10

Why is that?

Isn't encryption about safety so closed source better?

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have a feeling he is trying to point out the sometimes valid point that closed source can contain bugs, holes, "backdoors" and other such things that aren't so easily found out about in closed source unless the developer is very open and honest. Those kinds of issues don't freak out a majority of people until they show up in security software, then it gets touchy, and, rightly so to be honest. Do I think Comodo is that kind of company that we'd have to worry about withholding, no, but no one that has a fraction of the common sense God gave a duck can say they know 100%, without a doubt sure Comodo isn't that way. Comodo does, we don't. That's not conspiracy theory, that's fact. No one should blindly trust anything or anybody, ever.

18. Coolio10

Is the CEO's word good enough?

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_dis...ta_released-t24667.0.html;msg177240#msg177240

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

"Is the CEO's word good enough?"

Do you know him personally? Do you work at/with Comodo? Please don't take those as sarcastic remarks, they are in no way, shape or form meant that way. But I could pose the same question to you, such as, oh let's say someone in the news is accused of something, and they state they didn't do it. Well, without undeniable proof, are you truly being logical to readily say you believe that person, without knowing anything about them personally or about the case in question?

That's how I look at things, I'm not accusing Comodo of anything whatsoever, and I do not THINK they do such things, but since I know not a single individual of that company or any shred of inside information, it would not be sensible for me to blindly trust them. Blindly trusting anyone or anything in this world is nothing less than foolish and dangerous. You do not have to be holed up in a bomb shelter somewhere in the mountains waiting for the Apocalypse to believe that way, you simply have to believe that people will lie to protect their interests, and that belief has been proven time and time again.

20. Someone

Hi

Not really. As long as the company has built a good reputation, like PGP. Comodo also has a very good reputation.

21. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

PGP has the source available lol, thats why they have a good reputation. I would be interested in more detail regarding this Comodo product.

Any person is human, humans "can" lie. If i promise you that my post does not contain any text, if you can see text and read it, you can call me a lier, but if i was an admin, and made it so you could not read my post, but i told you "trust me theres nothing in the post, its empty" how would you know? Thats why open source is always the best policy, at least for me when it comes to encryption.

22. Someone

Sorry didn't realise. :doubt:

But I still think as long as a company has a good reputation it's OK.

23. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

Yes, if we "presume", presuming something is no substitute for "knowing" that security professionals all over the world (and savvy programmers) have been scrutinizing the code of truecrypt for issues. Also i bet you there are hackers galore who sift through PGP and Truecrypt just looking for something meaty, so i personally feel much more safe with those 2 products than any other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.