Comodo Cloud Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol, what happens to ones machine when they accept and remove all malware found by this cloud scanner? :)

:argh:

2. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

lol You just gave me an idea.

I will do just that on my sandboxed VM. :argh:

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*Says a small prayer for said system* Their "reputation" is dropping faster than the temperatures across the U.S. I'm not "against" Comodo in the least. I have no reason to want to see less competition in the security market, we all benefit from it. But, they've really got to shape up and do it soon.

4. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I visited the link.. It seems the post is removed.

I wasn't able to download the installer.

Does anyone have a redirect link or 3rd party link for Comodo's Cloud Scanner "BETA"??

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Their choosing of colours, is like a 3 year old being given the options to pick after telling him "pick the colours that strike your eye the most".

I wish instead of spitting yet another software, they 'd fix existing things. Like the fact that i have deregistered from their newsletter for at least 3 times and today i still got their newsletter. Now i went over to Comodo forum and changed my email, i hope this will be enough to make them stop spamming me.

6. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Josh
    There is just so much "essence of Comodo" in that line that.. I'm lost for words!
    But for the benefit of Comodo Forum non-registrants, here is a reprint from someone who never is, in answer to the question, "Where did Comodo Cloud Scanner (CCS) originate from?"

"Better Safe Than Sorry.

That's what our Live PC Support (GeekBuddy) technicians trained on. When they are cleaning our customer's computers,
    they don't say: I don't know this process in memory so I will ignore it,
    they will say: I better mark this as suspicious and analyse it before I give it a clean bill of health.

So over the last year or so, they built tools that helped them clean customers computers. One of the tool was called LHA (Livepcsupport Helper Application: btw this is an internal name and you can't find it as a product anywhere).

What this tool did was to identify all the issues that needed addressing, from checking all the processes in memory to cleaning registry to cleaning cookies that could be used tracking etc etc.

One of the most important feature of this was about identifying all running processes (that's where malware is going to be if you are infected) and making sure you can verify every single one to be legit. If you can't verify its legit, then worry and continue analysing. Don't give up until you know. Thats the philosophy behind this tool that we internally call LHA. It can also identify hidden processes (used by real nasties) so that we can check to see if they are malware or not.

So we use services like CIMA to analyse uknown files in realtime and check the SHA1 of a file against our whitelist and blacklist and so on in this LHA (but mainly it was done manually initially). LHA also has the ability to validate Digitally signed files by trusted vendors.

So we thought, it would be a great idea to have a product that could be much smaller than a traditional security product that helped identify all the issues on your PC. Then you have a choice of either fixing those yourself, or get us to do it. It would both help end users to see if they have issues (no matter what kind of Anti virus product they are running) and would help Comodo as we can promote our services.

Thats' when we decided to build Comodo Cloud Scanner. Its a neat tool (when its fully working that is :) ), that has the philosophy of "better safe than sorry". If an application is unknown and cannot be concluded as safe it should remain as unknown/suspicious. Of course as the use of this product grows we expect the unknown to be a small enough number not to be a nuisance. And after all if its still unknown after all that analysis, then its a healthy thing to be suspicious of it.

Its the first of its kind, it will need user feedback to improve. CCS comes from Technician's toolbox straight to users, there will be some expected usability issues. We, as always, will work with our users to build this product to their liking!

Comodo is a Technology Company driven by Innovation and mission to create trust online! As a result, we will always have new products, service coming out of our Research Labs. But we will always listen to our users and improve, as we have been for last 3 years, every product we have. With over 25 million installations Comodo is now a leading provider of Security.

Melih
    "

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  7. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Regarding names.

Comodo Dragon?

Panda Antivirus?

I tried Comodo Cloud Scanner but was very disappointed.
    It couldn't tell me anthing about any of the clouds passing overhead.
    Oh well. I guess it's back to the Weather Bureau website.

8. I made the beta only available to comodo forum users (Added a beta board). At the moment, The Scanner is like giving a gun to a kid without instructions on how to use it. The issues will be fixed.

Again, I am much as disappointed in this product as you guys. Btw: ALL Comodo Software have thier own optimal team. Same developers do not work in CIS, then comodo antispam, then comodo time machine and then this. All different teams.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I guess Comodo software can be dangerous.

I wonder if 'Mad Max' had anything to do with this. :rolleyes:

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No more like Melih MAXimus

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wouldn't call them "dangerous", shoddy and rushed, heck yes. The buck stops with Melih, he makes the calls on what gets created and sent out. Whether it was shoddy work by the team or a rushed release by order of Melih, the fact is it needs to be his head on the chopping block when the sh** hits the fan. If the dev team made a horrible product, he is the one that should have said "I think not, shape up or get shipped out".

If the product was fine, just unfinished (which is what I believe to be the case) and he made them release it, well, I say off with his head. I still recommend their firewall to those that can use it properly. I don't think you'll find a better one. However, if these half-ass programs and/or rushed releases continue occur, I won't even recommend the firewall anymore.

I would like for them to remove everything out of that Cloud Scanner except what it uses to do the job it is advertised to do. I don't need a registry cleaner or a junk file cleaner and there is nothing "anti-malware" about either of them. Also, either make it a free program period, or make it a paid program. Giving the user the option to clean an infection for free by themselves or have Comodo support do it for them for a price is just silly.

12. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

That screenshot is just priceless. Thats one way of keeping a machine clean. remove ntdll.dll. It will never be infected again. Minor issue that the machine wont boot:p

Is comodo a serious company, or a front for some Rogue AV product.

13. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Instead of showing off your superiority, why don't some of you download the latest version which is much improved?

It is about time some childish folk on this forum kept themselves to discussion of the software, rather than indulging in personal abuse which is becoming tiresome.

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I actually tried the latest version over the weekend, and it flagged half the files/registry entries on my system as bad. This product is complete garbage at this point.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Downloaded it and tested on a machine I didn't need...it still has MAJOR and, imho, at this point, inexcusable issues.. We are discussing the software, we're discussing how bad it was and still is. The "abuse" is well deserved in this case, the vendor in question has been putting out software and has been in this business long enough now to have known better than to deem a half-done, not even Beta quality project a "release". Now, on to the subject, it is still, as clock mentioned, tagging well-known, legitimate registry entries and files as suspicious and/or flat out bad.

As long as it stays that way, there will be complaints both here and at Comodos forums, it's called feedback. You're not required to read it if you don't wish to. In the meantime, let's all hope Comodo retains the respect, that it certainly once had with its firewall, with all of its products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.