Comodo AV better now?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by country2, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

If I may, Id like to add a few points to this discussion.
    As I said earlier, I do use CIS.
    AV enabled, FW to safe, Defense and security level to safe and configuration to Proactive Security.
    IMHO the the AV has improved since I started using it along with the rest of the suite.
    I feel secure running CIS.

As to the forums and the posters, some there are definitely fanatics to the point that Comodo can do no wrong.
    On the other hand there are some good people there also.
    andyman35,:thumb: , who posts here regularly, tried to help me get CIS running on my Vista laptop. I just became frustrated and decided to wait for the next version.
    Other posters have answered some questions I've had and some were never answered.
    In a forum of that size there will be a mix of different people.
    Some good and some bad.
    I think a little patience, which I sometimes lack, is called for at times.
    Starting with myself. :cool:

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Thanks RejZor

It's just that 'cfp.exe' seems too inactive when starting a large program for it to be checking.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can try with EICAR. If it's detected, then it's working.

4. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

If you mean the Av then I know that it by default only checks files to the size of 20 MB. (something I dislike). But you can change that under Av > scanner settings.

5. yashau

yashau Registered Member

The last time I tried the AV in CIS it marked one of my MP3's as a trojan. Imagine that. Haven't used it since. I'd imagine it must have been a weird FP and they would have corrected it by now. Seems there's still a long way to go. Free is good tho.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I notice you selectively quoted only half my post there,missing out the part where I criticised the attitude of some fanboys on the forum.You have a great future in politics:rolleyes:

I dislike aggressive fanboyism the same way I dislike forum trolls but alas both are a part and parcel of any web forums.It's wrong to tar the whole of Comodo with the same brush however.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Andyman, I think you have hit the nail on the head there, because I notice far more aggression here than you will find on the Comodo forum.

Many posters there are very young and like to have fun as well as discussing serious things, but it is full of people trying their best to be helpful and the general atmosphere makes their forum a pleasure to read.

Sure Melih is a showman and trying to spread his message without paying vast amounts for advertising. If you give a free product you have to restrict the budget surely.

I doubt whether you could access the CEOs of any of the paid competition.

8. sded

sded Registered Member

Gee, I see Mike Nash of OA, Vlk of Avast!, others on their own forums and here at Wilders all the time, lots of other principals whose products i don't use but who provide interesting insight into where the industry is going. Prevx provides almost instantaneous full time support here for their users, with communication to their development team and management. Both here and on their own forums we talk to them regularly, and get real answers at that level instead of mostly showmanship and rhetoric and self-serving positioning. And I have yet to see them try to whip up the frenzy of the fanboys in either place as is done on the Comodo forum.
    BTW, I don't know how you can describe the thread closures, banning, use of a Forum Policy Violation Board ( http://forums.comodo.com/forum_policy_violation_board-b111.0/ plus lots of stuff just removed from public view at Comodo as symptoms of anything but "aggression." But I don't post there, so probably miss much of the flavor, LOL.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

~rant over Comodo~

10. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

A sad day for the comodo community + comodo ofc.. (really I think so, not trying to be a sarcastic jerk..) :argh: :argh:

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They obviously want bad publicity...

12. sded

sded Registered Member

Interesting. Went to look at what was happening at Comodo, and discovered that one of the mods who disagreed with their plan to not test CAVS is no longer a mod (and made a post in RejZor's defense) and one of the members who agreed with him is now a guest (presumably banned). http://forums.comodo.com/general_di...was_rejzor_banned-t37498.0.html;msg266968#new . So purging of the dissidents appears to be underway at Comodo. Does anyone know what happened to Gibran, BTW?

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I got a feeling the others in that thread will get warnings or bans too. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, criticism is treason and the defense goes to the gallows with the "offender". *sigh* Again, not a knock on their product, but if the forums are handled that way, who bloody cares how could the product is.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It seems someone was a bit too trigger happy on their end, though i have to admit it i'm sometimes maybe too agressive when i'm trying to make a point.

15. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

To your defense RejZor, I'm not one to criticize software. After all, I program myself on the iSeries in some obscure language called RPGLE. But to get to the point, I believe the points you had been making all seem valid enough and Comodo should have at least tried some of the suggestions you did bring up. You do come off hard at times but that's life. Every software developer should expect some accolades and some criticism.

Just my .02 cents
    Ice

16. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Thanks guys. Been there, done that. :)
    So, maintaining separation between the product and the hype, cred must go to the Comodo devs for scanning so much (.exe .bin .dll etc.) with so little (impact, that is!)

==========================================================

In the interest of encouraging mature, balanced points of view, the response by 'bobbybobbyyup' to the PCMAG review has been a real hit with me since I frist saw it.

and then there's Melih Vision

Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  17. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

If you're referring to who I think you are referring to, it's OK, as he has several other accounts there and is actively using them all. Again, assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, he wasn't banned. The user deleted his own account.

Yes, I do. Although I don't think this is the most appropriate place to discuss this, I do not want this left hanging, given the current tone and emphasis on this topic, despite the original topic being about whether Comodo's AV has improved.

He decided to voluntarily stand down as a moderator. His input was, and still is, highly regarded and very much appreciated. He is still a member and he will be welcomed back as a mod whenever he chooses.

He's a nice guy and one that I still count as a friend.

CT :)

18. andyman35

I'd be sorry to see anyone banned from Comodo merely for expressing an opinion contrary to that of the product developers.Unfortunately as is the case in the real world some mods get a bit giddy with power and let personal dislike toward other members cloud their judgement.o_O

19. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You're a reasonable guy AM. Some people become so enthusiastic about a product, which is understandable, but that enthusiasm can sometimes lead to 'religous' type behaviour.

When it comes down to it, it's a program, that's all it is. And everyone likes to see programs improve.

Hey, if it starts to do what I want it to do, I won't hesitate in using it. :)

20. sded

sded Registered Member

CT, thank you for the information. :)

21. andyman35

I think sometimes what some people on forums don't realise is that while a reported issue may well be rare or hard to reproduce,that issue is a problem for the individual involved.Stock answers such as "hey it works fine for me" or "wait until version x,it'll be great" are of no help to those suffering BSODs or lockups with the product here and now.

In those circumstances people may well be justifiably irritated with the company in question and as long as they keep to the guidelines (no personal abuse,etc),shouldn't be censured for expressing their annoyance.

There's a world of difference between these people and the type of trolls that regrettably frequent every forum.

22. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

excuse me for just jumping in but comodo av'll include antimalware (boclean) functionality or does it allready?

would anyone consider comodos av enough or should I stick to avast home?

asking since I'm starting clean today, thanks.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Version 3.9 will have BOClean integrated and there were some words from devs that CIMA heuristics will be there too.
    As for changing from avast!. Donno. Response time and FP's fixing is awful with Comodo. They seems to have massive problems with poly file infectors.
    D+ does detect it at one stage but AV just isn't up to the task yet.
    avast! on the other hand has superb detection of new Virut variants (Win32:Vitro), response on new samples is very fast and fixing FP's is just a question of hours usually. Thats something i'd usually not trade for anything else.

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

BOClean is a non-factor. Unless you want a HIPS, stick with avast.

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Probably not as good as Avast yet but Improving.
    I'm running the whole suite with configuration in proactive security.
    No problems and extremely lite.
    Scan with MalwareBytes or SAS once a week just to be sure. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.