Comodo AV better now?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by country2, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So if it's free, you will tolerate bugs and all sorts of other nonsense?
    I'm perfectionist and i don't tolerate such things anywhere.
    HIPS is good for expert users, not casual users which Comodo is clearly targeting.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

you are right

3. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

No security software is perfect.

You should no that by now.

Even the best of the best amongst security software available in the market have major bugs and performance/compatibility issues.

Anyways, good luck in trying to find that imaginary "perfect security program" you're looking for :rolleyes: .

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well for avast! they fixed even the smallest things i reported in each next update. Once i asked why some checkbox isn't greyed out on 64bit systems and they fixed that. It was just a minor visual glitch and they fixed it.
    With comodo i've reported few bigger bugs and they acted like they don't give a damn. Hello?

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also agree that Comodo team put very low quality on software they produce.

Like others here, I felt useless to use their forum or support because everything remains the same after we suggest or report something, so I just left to care about any Comodo development for some time, and as you know and to be honest we have better options out there, and they are also free and with much better quality on every aspect, so...

6. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Maybe Companies producing paid products think that they can afford to employ people to drop everything so as to concentrate on a few users who demand immediate attention and action.

When you consider when Comodo launched this av, I think it is amazing how much progress they have made with it. Of course it still has improvements to come and I would imagine the development team are working hard to achieve what they set out to do, rather than spend most of their time chatting on forums.

It would be good if some folk could see their way to being helpful and supportive of this project, rather than constantly moaning about lack of attention to their personal concerns.

OK so don't use it for now if you don't think it is ready yet.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If you can, I suggest you give the legion of cartoon characters led by Melih a wide berth, and get directly in touch with some of the developers (like umesh) via PM. I find it a lot more productive to talk direct with the people who actually know stuff, instead of wasting time with the fanboys.

8. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I don't like answering tons of Allow and deny pop-ups personally, not because I don't understand how it works, but I like to actually do things with my PC, instead of time consuming annoying pop-ups. Some claim Defense + or similar is the best form of sercurity and in theory it is, but I don't believe it's bullet proof as claimed because it still relies solely on user decision. Such systems prompt on the good as well as the bad, so unless it's obvious malware, who's to say it wont get on your system anyway by mistake? Comodo claim they are trying to reduce the pop-ups with White listing, but with my recent experience, this wasn't the case. Since Comodos Anti-virus still sucks and some of us don't want endless pop-ups means Comodo has a way to go until they can move into the mainstream of sercurity and compete with the big guns. I know Comodo is free and all that, but Comodo couldn't reasonably charge for that dinosaur.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, it is what it is. I'm most probably not going to waste any of my time with them anymore.

10. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Its fun to see how a comodo thread here at wilders ALWAYS turns into a whine thread where people starts criticising all aspects of CIS you can find..
    THE HIPS is chatty.. Its too complicated, I prefer bla bla..
    Comodo sucks.. Fanboys keep defending this flawed junk bla bla..

The comodo forum does have fanboys, but most posts is answered respectfully and people there tries to help out. And being a fan dosn't automatically mean that the response is any worse than the response from a none fan. many comodo "fans" are as skilled if not more than some wilder users. who cares.. There is non technical people on all forums..
    But its far from a FANBOY only place. as some try to make it sound. I doubt the Avast! or norton forum totaly lacks fans either..? ;)

The AV does this against you?
    What makes you think Comodo has a lower quality than other softwares?
    I mean try CSC for instance, much better than CCleaner imo.

Its not like CIS is the ONLY software with bugs. No software is BUG free. No software. With millions of CIS users the expectation for CIS to be totally bug free is unrealistic. Norton is not bug free either neither is AVIRA or PrevX or... MS office..

11. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

There's Nothing wrong with liking something and being a fan, but it's just some people take this to a different level and act childishly...that's the difference.

12. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

But there is something wrong with describing a Company's product like this:
    The sort of remarks designed to give offense and I have to wonder why someone would wish to do that.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It was quite accurate, as far as I can tell. What specifically is your problem with it?

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote ! Definitively.

15. sded

sded Registered Member

Well, you made me look, even though I don't use Comodo and have never tried their AV. As usual, some of the funniest stuff is in the discard pile at http://forums.comodo.com/forum_poli...illion_signatures-t37231.0.html;msg266337#new . From reading the thread, Comodo is taking the position of no formal AV testing until dynamic testing is available so they can throw D+ into the mix, instead of just testing CAVS-after all, CAVS doesn't deal with executing malware either. They have made a business decision. So your choice to use it on faith or go somewhere else. But don't count on outside influences to get changes made, at least in the near term. Or was there some other message, other than a little abuse and browbeating of the dissenting posters?

16. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Gratuitously offensive to a competitor's product.

Mind you I have come to expect that from some self-opinionated members of this forum, but it is unpleasant don't you think?

17. Julian

Julian Registered Member

The Comodo fan boys are a curse, you can't talk with these people.
    Another problem is Melih, you can't discuss with him either...

Nevertheless I like CIS and AV detection really improved.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  18. gery

gery Registered Member

I agree that no product is bug free but some are overloaded and for worst they are too tough to admit it and especially COMODO are too proud for their product. But it is a fact they are doing a hard job refimimg their product

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Actually most turn into threads defending Comodo if you do some searching around.

Depends on who's answering the posts. You're right, quite a few are answered respectfully...by regular users. Once you get a dev, mod, or Melih involved, it often (not always) turns into a different story, and those are the posts that matter, right? I claim that as fact because I have posted there in the past quite often myself. Half the time it turned into " There must be a problem with other software you're using" or "We can't duplicate that issue" (when quite a few others had the same issue) or, as Rezjor has said, "It'll get fixed in the next release" (it didn't).

I'm all for defending one's product, any sensible developer would and should. But there have been too many cases of "Our products' sh** don't stink and can do no wrong" for me to want to use it even if the bugs and useability WERE worked out. That's all I really have on the matter.

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The respect works both ways.Often people post a complaint with little detail,then start flaming and disrespecting when an instant solution isn't provided.The majority of folks there are unpaid volunteers trying to assist with issues,some of which are extremely complex,why should they waste time on rude and obnoxious people?
    Where I agree with you is that some fanboys won't hear of any criticism of CIS however minor,and rear up on anybody doing so.It can be frustrating to suffer issues with the software and to be harangued for pointing them out,it's unfortunate when reasonable people give up on finding a solution because of this.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree wholeheartedly, if you act like a horses behind right off the bat, you SHOULDN'T expect a reasonable response. You're also right that when it comes to posts that state the software doesn't work or is giving errors, without also explaining what was being done at the time or what other software you have on the system, expecting clear, precise help isn't likely either.

However, I often found there that even when details were given, efforts had been made to self-diagnose, and the question was polite and to the point, the posts still managed to get "Comodo does no wrong, you do"-type posts, and not just from the general forum members. That's not the quickest way to get me to use their product, but that's me. As far as the product itself, I had trouble with CIS and the firewall itself, but I can't say that that makes it a bad product.

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Let's stop kidding ourselves. Comodo's reputation for indulging in fanboyism is more than well-deserved. There are well-populated forums out there catering to other products with user bases multiple times the size of Comodo's, and many of them fail to suffer from such a disgusting reputation.

I may be only a reader there, but as far as I can tell there are certain Comodo company officials posting on the forums (I won't name who) who actually seem to actively encourage the fanboy culture. Advertising with exaggerated superlatives and theatrics, dispensing with the type of flattering and fawning that only the immature would fall for, and of course clamping down on dissent (I've once seen that particular company official claim that "like their products", he's good at "detecting and shutting down malicious intent" when he locked a thread by a user reporting a problem). It's a telling sign that you can hardly find people who actually know stuff on the Comodo forums, because they become disillusioned sooner or later; RejZor isn't the only one, though judging by the number of intelligent people still there, he may be the last.

23. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Agreed.

24. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Comodo is unique.
    I've used or seen others using Comodo 3.X a number of times and it's the only security app for which I find it necessary to keep my thoughts about the program itself completely separated from the enigmatic propagandists who promote it "110%".

No, not "want to have". Rather "are accustomed to having".

My observation is that CIS 3.8 AV resident scanner doesn't scan executables on-access. Anyone know if this is true?

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

CIS does scan files on-access just like other AV's do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.