Comodo Aquires BoClean!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mele20, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Too bad. If you had picked the right name you might have gotten a free copy.:D

Best,
    Jerry

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: No kidding? Anti-malware ? Wasn't Ewido gone thru the very same path? Ewido> Anti-malware>AVG Anti-Spyware ? Now AVG Anti-malware does contain AV function. Will C-B Anti-malware include AV in very near future?or they have an innovative concept for a big surprise? Let the game begin! Best wishes to C-B Anti-malware(?).

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Through out all of this the most important question has never been answered and pointedly ignored by Kevin. How is BoClean going to survive (Comodo not withstanding) without the protection of the NY court ruling making it a private club? I don't think it can in the long run and I feel it very telling that there has been NO answer to this question from Comodo or Kevin. I think this is the beginning of the end for BoClean. I have read nothing to convince me otherwise, in fact, everything I have read just solidifies my belief.

4. malformed

malformed Former Poster

The same way every other Anti-X application does.

How is "Comodo not withstanding" relevant? It's irrelevant, BoClean is now the property of Comodo, it doesn't exist outside that context.

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I think Mele20 bought up a point that some of the long time users may still be wondering about.
    But....The BOClean we knew, used and loved all these years is gone.
    It's "private club" status does not exist any more being there is no private club today.
    Nancy and Kevin are not the owners any more.
    The only thing that is relevant right now is that this is a Comodo product, to do with as they please.:cool:
    We have to forget what BOClean was, and now wait, to see what it will become.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Is Comodo's property, and they can do anyway they please ? Not so. It all depends upon what has contained in the aged court documents. Comodo may be a rich company, but to fork out $ acquiring another company w/ legal restriction hanging overhead and then turn it into a freeware. I did not see too many this type of takeover, except, of course, MS's purchase of Giant AS two years ago. But Microsoft is so rich that they do not mind losing their heads once a while, but Comodo,? I do not know. Their hidden agenda is what I am curious to find out. Again Comodo may throw us a curve ball, and each of us may just miss it. Best luck to C-B antimalware's debut, in next few days ? eh?

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Definitely, All the best to C-B.:cool:

8. mwb1100

mwb1100 Registered Member

It seems to me that the private club issue was never part of the court ruling - it was simply one of the claims that Privacy Software Corporation (PSC) made. If you carefully read the press release:

http://www.privsoft.com/archive/nws-dsc.html

there are several items that relate to the NY court:

1) a settlement was reached between PSC and whoever the unnamed Netbus dealer was, that the lawsuit would be dropped if PSC added an opt-out to tag Netbus as a trojan
    2) the NY court approved the settlement, which indicates that the opt-out was an 'adequate remedy'
    3) the 'private club' claim is just an assertion by PSC that they believe allows them to designate whatever they want (on behalf of their subscribers) as malware. As far as the press release mentions, that particular claim was never tested in court.

So, it seems to me that the fact that BOClean might no longer be a 'private club' does not make BOClean or Comodo any more vulnerable to legal action that any other anti-malware software. I don't think it'll have any impact on the survival of BOClean.

Of course, the standard disclaimer applies: I'm not a lawyer, and I have no information about any legal proceedings that PSC might have been involved in except what's in the above mentioned link. I'm just giving what I believe is a common-sense interpretation of the press release.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks: So this "private club" thing is actually served as a Shiled for BoClean to repel any potential legal tangles resulting from designating any malwares they see it fit. Under that protection, they do not have to retreat any def updates just because of other's objections. No wonder they made BoClean a supertool w/ a freehand. After this merger, will they still enjoy this privilege ? We will find out very soon.

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ditto.......such is life..

11. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Melih has responded. I specifically asked him about it in this thread:

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7549.30.html

My post is #44 and Melih's reply is #45.

Furthermore, when you asked the same question in the thread at Broadband Reports, I pointed out my post (and Melih's reply) and you commented on it. So, you are incorrect when you say there has been NO answer to this question from Comodo.

Here's the thread at BBR:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18075683~days=9999~start=100

My post is on page 6, your reply is on page 7. Basically Melih isn't worried about any malware companies trying to sue, he says Comodo has enough legal power to take them on. You then claim that he must not have understood the question and was boasting.

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Look's like Tue. April 24th. for ver.4.23 release.

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Personily I'm not worried.Been using BOClean for a while now.(Great app)
    I believe Kevin when he stated that BOClean would only get better.
    Never regretted buying it. Only regretted not buying it sooner.

14. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

After rereading this entire thread again, I have to wonder why some people seem to want to bring a fine security app. like BoClean down with half or no truth post.

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Comodo Firewall for free....Comodo AV for free....

Now BOClean now part of Comodo security company....for free....seems only logical step in the business plan to me. :doubt:

I only wonder how many companies who really did not want to make a bid now wish they did. Kind of like I don't want them but I don't want anyone else to have them either. They're so effective I just wish they would go away. Competition isn't it great. :thumb:

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, Melih said that but it was obvious he doesn't understand. (I don't think 1 in a 1000 understand...look at the confusion here and at dslr when this ruling is mentioned). I wanted Kevin or actually Nancy to answer it. She is the one, the only one, to really be able to answer this. If she has said anything I have forgotten it but I don't think she has plus Kevin is the one who has been doing all the forum talking. I do not believe Melih has the money or will want to spend the money if he really does have it. I think he is stringing Kevin along while blowing airbubbles. Kevin and Nancy evidently had no choice but to sell so now they are trying to convince themselves that it will all work out ok. And it probably will in the short run...until the sleazeballs step up the pressure and start suing.

17. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Well, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

I am curious about something though. You obviously have an axe to grind with Melih, you knock him at every opportunity in various security forums. What exactly did he do to get on your bad side? ~Off topic comments removed - Ron~ From the posts of his that I have read, he seems to be sincere when he says he wants to help everyone, plus he is making his software available for free. Kevin also speaks highly of him and Kevin is known to speak his mind even when it negatively affects his business.

So, care to explain the chip on your shoulder regarding Melih and Comodo?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  18. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Umm, Mele20 why are you convinced that people will be rushing to sue Comodo BoClean?

The company that had sued earlier has since gone out of business. Also times have changed since then, and now the courts look much more unfavorably on
    malware creators.

That time PSC was picked on because they were a small company. Now Comodo will probably have a few lawyers on retainer.

All providers of AV and anti-malware software faces legal threats from time to time, but usually these are just legal bluffs.

So why do you think Comodo will be especially vulnerable now?

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have reread the link on the BOClean history and the law suit (it has been a while). I now have placed that in context of the merger.

The good news: BOClean can still be described as a "subscription service".

The bad news it is now free to the general public...opps :doubt: .

However times have changed. If this issue arises again there is more likely imho that the courts would rule in favor of security companies due to the increase in malware related headaches. Particullarly I. D. theft. How many judges have been spammed today. How many in a jury box have gotten their system hosed by crapware.

I do hope that if Comodo were to be sued that they would really be a dragon and not a salamander (the fire breather and not the little silent creature that runs).

EDIT: I see while I was typing extratime was reading my mind. :thumb:

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks; Legal tangles are not healthy signs for a growing company such as Comodo. Fighting vigorously and at any costs against maleware writers is certainly a great news and firm support for its users, but at end of the day, that retainer will hurt their balance sheets, and stock holders (if a publicly traded already) are likely not wanting to see their dividends to be swallowed by these Legal Staff. I do admire the courage and vision the new owner posesses. Perhaps Bill Gates shoud invite him to sit w/ MS advisory board.

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

Part of the confusion is probably tied to the lack of an explicit document for all to read from.

I'd put my own reading of the situation as "muddled". Although quoted many times elsewhere, I'll just repeat that acccording to the PSC archives:
    I'm not sure what this means, since providers of antimalware are not carriers (common or private) under standard use of the term. Publicly traversed networks such as the Internet are often treated as common carriers, but this is a program typically installed on an end-node PC in a private residence/corporate location. I'm not a lawyer, so I really can't argue the legal fine points. I can understand the pretrial settlement part, a simple change was instituted to make the case go away and save everyone the costs associated with a trial. However, the remainder is a little hazy. Like any precedent, it is subject to challenge if anyone were to desire.

As in all matters pertaining to law, anyone can initiate a case against anyone else for virtually anything - that doesn't mean the case has legel merit or that it wouldn't be tossed on the first day of trial if one were actually held.

Blue

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:thumb:
    Dead issue.
    Resolved then with #$%!)*& Netbus: No longer relevant
    Fwik: The issue set a precedent then and BOClean and PSC were able to forestall any further actions by applying the "private subscription" approach.

Highly unlikely there could be a successful prosecution or civil suit now, even if so a precedent already set for solution.

I was never sure if there were any other unresolved legals affecting PSC: Kevin made some veiled references here and there ?:(

theres a thread at dslr where 'NetFixer' is being chased by an allegation of slander from a post 2 years ago.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18208144

23. controler

controler Guest

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/70015

Remember this thread found here
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5767&st=80&p=38469&#entry38469

It is now confirmed by Kevin McAleavey that the Sony rootkit(s) install the moment you insert the CD BEFORE YOU READ THE EULA. The rootkit REMAINS INSTALLED EVEN IF YOU DECLINE THE AGREEMENT.

The class action lawsuit filed in New York, on behalf of all affected USA customers, now has BoClean (incorporated in New York) as a party to suit.

This latest development, and Kevin becoming an expert witness in the class action suit, just about seals Sony's fate and also guarantees criminal charges against Sony in the USA courts. Sony has acted with malice toward its customers.

First4Internet has also been sued in the same class action lawsuit in New York.

However, lawsuits take a very long time to wind their way through the courts (years). In the meantime, users who have the Sony Rootkit(s) on their computers are faced with a bleak decision. Either keep the rootkit which allows Sony to be privy to all communication between the computer and optical drive or reformat. No tool, including Microsoft's, will remove the wire tap portion of the rootkit. Very advanced users can attempt the steps Mark Russinovich detailed in his blog.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING THREAD AND SUPPORT KEVIN in his fight with his lawyers to be able to release a free tool to remove the wire tap portion (filter driver components) of the Sony rootkit as well as the rest of it. Kevin promised this tool last Friday (BoClean already stops its installation but the tool was to be free for all those who already have the infection and didn't have BoClean to prevent it). Now Kevin's lawyers are saying he can be sued (even criminally) if he releases this tool! Microsoft's tool, Computer Associates, Sophos, etc. NONE of these tools remove the wire tap portion! Kevin explains all of this in this thread and is asking for support of his position, from readers of the thread, so that he can convince his attorneys. He has asked his attorneys to read the thread. Kevin explains why Kaspersky and others have either done nothing, or are providing a tool that only uncloaks, or in Microsoft's case, removes only a PORTION of the rootkit.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14802823

oh and will through a DRM link of a thred about our well known Starforce.

I wonder if Mele is trying to make us aware of the fact that Maleware writers of today are in it for the money unlike years ago the kiddies did it to wreck your computer and that is not only SMALL maleware companies that file lawsuits but ALSO large companies such as Starforce & Sony. I don't know Melih but I know Kevin & Nancy and what kind of honerable people they are and trust they would not work for someone they did not trust even if they were backed into a ever getting worse corner.

Even Microsoft got sued by Blue MT gretting cards because of a filter in OE that sent the cards to the junk mail folder LOL
    http://www.ttgnet.com/daynotes/1999/0315RTDN.html
    Thursday, March 18, 1999

Well, Internet Explorer 5.0 is due to be released today. I haven't tried to download it yet, but I'll do so as soon as I finish and post this. Thankfully, the release of IE5 was not delayed by the Blue Mountain Arts lawsuit.

Even in 99 Kevin was battling with MS's GUID in Win98 as you can read at the last posted link LOL

24. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for sharing.
    Water under the bridge as many posters have already said and Kevin confirms again.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.