Comodo Anti-Virus=Too Many False Reports

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dionisiog, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

I am curious of the opinions of other people concerning the legitimacy of Comodo's anit-virus software in regards to what seems to be a propensity which it has for false detections. I have utilized Comodo firewall (free personal edition) for some time and do not feel that I have any problems with that. But I seem to have seen a history of false detections allowing Comodo to automatically scan my computer on it's own.

This evening that came to a head when I looked at the list of software which Comodo had chosen to define as 'contaminated' and necessary to remove. Here is the list of Comodo's results:

Combofix
    legitimate installation driver files for an Emachine laptop (Bios update file)
    Jv16 powertools (Unset.exe)
    a gateway laptop support driver file (Afuwin.exe)

This seems to be a rather typical line-up of results which I receive when I do an occasional scan with Comodo anti-virus. And this is why I allow the anti-virus portion of my Comodo Internet Security Suite (personal edition) to update, but I have it deactivated, and use other anti-virus software (Avast, along with Malwarebytes and Spyware Terminator) to protect my system.

It simply seems to me that as an anti-virus software that Comodo anti-virus is not yet mature enough to rely upon to protect my system in any manner. Perhaps it will be someday in the future, but certainly not at the present moment. It consistently appears to offer false reports (or so it would seem to me, although I do not consider myself an expert in these matters). I would think that a typical average user relying on Comodo anti-virus would be feeling rather insecure, especially considering that by and large most computer users (at last glance) seem less wll informed than I am regarding good software, and I would think that all of these false reports must be leaving them feeling rather nervous indeed.

What would you do if security. anti-viral and most other computer software were a totally new concept to you? With Comodo's false alerts I would probably tell it to delete everything, just to be on the safe side.

After that, I would find myself wondering if all sorts of legitimate software was safe at all. It sort of defeats the purpose of software designed to protect a user when the software becomes the malware itself.

2. progress

progress Guest

There is nothing more to say than that :(

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If it gets as good as the other well established AV then great and I'm sure we'll all hear about it. Until then there is better software to use

4. icr

icr Registered Member

Yeah FPs is still an issue with respect to comodo I had even cases when comodo detected as MD BETA installers as suspicious.HEUR:oops:

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, their antivirus is kinda average/good :rolleyes:

6. sded

sded Registered Member

People continue use an AV from a company whose CEO continually rants against AVs in threads like https://forums.comodo.com/melihs-co...ons-to-execute-on-your-computer-t56458.0.html , https://forums.comodo.com/melihs-co...est-fraud-in-the-security-world-t53232.0.html , https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t53963.0.html;topicseen , and expect them to enthusiastically upgrade their AV capabilities toward the evolving malware problems? Sure looks like there is a lot of disrepect for the AV industry and probably the AV developers going on there to support other agendas. Remember the assertions that Comodo AV would be among the best by last October and that Threatcast would be the Users salvation? Testimonials like "I have been using it for a year and haven't got a virus" and YouTube videos certainly pale by comparison to companies reviewed by AVComparatives and other non-hobbiest sites. There are lots of other good free AVs out there that are dedicated to making AV/AM a more successful product instead of just dumping everything on their HIPS. I use Avast! as do lots of CIS users, have used MSE recently and AVG and others in the past, and current reviews at this site and elsewhere indicate that the new crop are also being successful with various technologies, as are established companies like Prevx, A**2, Norton, ... that aren't free. Lots of other choices to work with. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

Right or wrong, I tend to respect Comodo for their improvements with their firewall service, especially considering it as a free offering. I am willing to give them some time to improve on their anti-virus and perhaps they will. I am thinking it is not such an easy device to perfect. The challenges offered to these devices has been calling for some very innovative thinking, the best that the brightest minds have to offer.

Just the same I continue to think that it is a very important aspect of this type of product not to have false detections as it can confuse even experienced users into making problems for themselves, instead of avoiding or resolving them. Too many false detections, from my point of view, leave me wondering if I am working with a real instrument or a toy designed to look like one.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think there AV will never become more than acceptable. It was better for them to licence some well known AV like Antivir, Avast etc.

9. icr

icr Registered Member

Even I agree with you. They have come a long way late during v3.x comodo had big virus db but they have trimed it to a great extent. Also they have reduced the FPs but still an issue as I mentioned in earlier post. Just wait for its major product release. It is one of very few suites that provides layers of protection (AV----D+----Sandbox----Firewall) for FREE

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Just because they giving you "free" you don't have to be a fanboy.

You can pick free products and build a complete internet security, example:

Firewall: OA Free(with good HIPS), Outpost Free, ZoneAlarm Free(the latest version got the HIPS that Extreme Security uses)

Sandbox: Sandboxie, or use Google Chrome with built-in sandbox.

AV: lots of good and free AVs, Avira, Avast, PC Tools, AVG

11. jay2007tech

jay2007tech Registered Member

combofix <---alot of AV's flag this
    Driver files generally get more scrutiny because they go very deep into the system

If your using comodo V4. Just click on "report as false positive button"
    If using V3. It's located under the "Misc" in the comodo main screen

All companys are like that one way or another. It's not just AV company's, it's also just about any company(in general for that matter) Yes, people do expect companys AV products to improve. (People also expect Toyota to improve there brakes too!!) LOL

Some people like to keep the same products and others like to keep changing it. That just the way it:)

12. icr

icr Registered Member

Oh.... fanboy:eek: I am not the one atleast I am not in terms of AVs:rolleyes:

13. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

"Comodo Anti-Virus=Too Many False Reports"

Just a thought.. a case where the product resembles the CEO?

14. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Why well said!! And all of these without the ethical issues of dealing with a Rogue company!!

(Nor the endless promises that 5 year old bugs will be fixed in the next Messianic release!!)

rat

PS# What is free? Does anyone thank Melih and henchmen, are not knocking down a few bucks on every re-branded Ask toolbar,A.K.A "Hop Surf",they foist on some poor Schmuck?

Come on!!!

15. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Why do you call them a rogue company?

As for the toolbar, anyone who can't figure out how to uninstall it is probably not going to last long with Comodo anyway.

16. ratwing

ratwing Guest

The security certs aspect,(selling to malware domains) has pretty well been
    beaten to death,and if any one is not convinced by now,that it is not a good idea to be selling certs to rogues,at the same time you are offering end point security,they never will be.

I will just go with the cutsey,"gotcha"!! game they played with the ask tool bar.

"We heard your cry's!! You have a problem with Ask!,and they are outta here!!
    Now we have Hop-Surf!! Same default,install,but totally new!!.
    With Ask! search built in,but this a totally in-house operation!!"

(As if the search function is not the money maker on any toolbar!!!)

I understand that an advanced user will not get hooked with a foist ware toolbar/crapware.

What I do not understand is why an advanced user would patronize a company that pulls these shenanigans.

rat

17. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Absolutely!! If a person don't know how to avoid the installation of a crap toolbar, then he's not literate in computers and doesn't deserve to use COMODO IS.

18. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Take a break and relax a little. :rolleyes:

19. AvinashR

Nice writeup, i must say !! And nice way to tell that "Hey, please buy premium product if you don't want to mess up with Ask-Toolbar" :)

20. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

Free is renamed into premium for those with no need for those services, so there is nothing to pay. You pay for Live PC Support....
    But then again, if you use Comodo, you are able to solve things on your own....:thumb:

21. ratwing

ratwing Guest

OK fellows.

Comodo rules

rat

22. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I am sure some of the faithful at the Comodo forum who have dealt with the same bugs for years,would benefit from someone who is able to solve them.

Any words of wisdom on repairing MBR destroyed by Comodo TimeMachine for example?

If Melih invested the same effort in his his software he does in his shills,
    Kaspersky,Norton,Avira and others would be in for sleepless nights.

"Originally Posted by CEO of a rogue company"

Now that is truth in advertising!!

23. AvinashR

Prevention is better than Cure !! So if you want to save your MBR then do not uninstall CTM in any-case.

By the way i have found this software as good as EAZ-FIX, RollbackRX and Radix Reload Premium...The only problem i have faced with CTM is total mass destruction of MBR while uninstalling CTM. :D :D

By the way "Sorry for Off-topic"

24. ratwing

ratwing Guest

"Prevention is better than Cure !! So if you want to save your MBR then do not uninstall CTM in any-case."

Now that Sir,is a masterpiece!!

respect,
    rat

25. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Or you could prevent installing CIS in the first place and save yourself the cure.:argh:

Back on topic, I really don't like their AV because of the FP's. At one time, Avira had some FP's also but they seemed to correct them.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.