comodo and sandboxie

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i get this sandboxie errors

i tried to open a pdf inside the sandboxie

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm installing CIS right now on another machine, alongside Sandboxie.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Some of the OP's problems may have resulted from what was on the box prior to Comodo and how it was uninstalled.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I am not running Comodo now but I have installed it along Sandboxie,
    with no issue at all. No slowdown or nothing to complain.
    I had the Comodo sandbox disabled. Its my opinion that they can be
    used together, works perfectly if somebody wants to use a HIPS
    with Sandboxie.

Bo

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

look the screenshot

Attached Files:

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i agee
    but i need a firewall
    outside comodo , looking for a light firewall , there is only the old version of outpost like 2.7 still a rock

6. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Read my signature, you will see a superb firewall listed.

John

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

zonealarm ?!?!
    is not light like comodo
    i did like the old versions

8. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

OK, but the OP says that Comodo goes plonk with SBxie, so in this case, who cares what Comodo is or does if it is no use ?

I have as you see SBxie + ZA and never had a problem. The whole thing hum`s away like a kitten lapping up cream. Infections bounce off ZA like a squash ball. I suggest you recommend your FW choice to the OP, excluding of course Comodo.

What we must all remember and never do, is that the world`s PC`s cover an infinite selection of individual combinations. I would think that the chance of TWO sets being exactly the same has astronomic odds against.

So individual programs play OK with some combinations and fail with others. That is why some of us call a program crap and others reckon the sun shines out of it`s back end. All we can do is try these things based on what people say and if they work then fine, we win whilst if they do not work, we lose and must try something else.

It is perhaps unjust for us to call a particular program crap, more likely it is our own PC combination that is crap.

Like beauty, the merits of any program are in the mind of the beholder.

John

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The member you are replying to IS the OP. And I'm assuming it is also he "who cares what Comodo is or does if it is no use". Notice the name of the thread?

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

seems that sandboxie author is working on

-> http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10013

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sounds like you are getting some attention over there, mantra.
    Have you tried 3.53.05?
    Plus tzuk says 3.53.06 might fix it too.
    ;)

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes with no luck
    you?

13. lws

lws Registered Member

Just curious if you did install CIS and if you did how did it work with sandboxie. I see that OA is still in your signature. Any feed back would be appreciated. By the way I think that both OA and CIS firewall are both good and both worked well with sandboxie and geswall on my system.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello lws... yes I installed CIS, and I was quite excited about the prospects of trying out a new suite. I took great care to thoroughly uninstall OA (followed their advice to uninstall in safemode and reboot twice to remove all drivers). I searched for any leftover remnants to help assure no future problems with CIS. I also uninstalled Prevx, which comes off very cleanly.

The CIS install went fine, but I immediately found that I could not update the virus defs. That sent me to their forum where I discovered a thread started 8 months ago about users being unable to update defs on a new install! I read all 10 pages and tried close to a half dozen of the suggested remedies, to no avail. Quite a few of the posts in that thread were people expressing dismay over Comodo not fixing this known issue after all this time.

Not to be deterred, I uninstalled CIS and re-installed just the firewall. I wasn't really thrilled with that route, as I was most interested in the whole suite, but figured I'd try the FW and HIPS for awhile. Unfortunately, I discovered that the Acronis boot disks that I have on hand no longer worked with CIS installed. That was quite confusing, and of course unnerving, as I can not in good faith operate my computers without a tried and true method of recovery from HD failure.

I don't think that SBIE was interfering with CIS in any way. I see that Comodo Verification Engine was already checked in SBIE 'all applications' list, and I was totally able to open IE sandboxed and browse just fine. My email client worked perfectly while sandboxed too.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed from the getgo with Comodo AV, but had decided to rely upon it as a security solution for awhile, as part of the CIS suite. When I encountered the definition update problem (and saw how documented it was and how unresolved it was), I began to lose interest. The final straw was when I discovered the odd situation with the Acronis boot disks not working.

I restored my most recent image (made just prior to installing CIS) and I was golden once again.

One thing I learned (or remembered from a long time ago) while reading the 10 page thread about the virus updating issue was to check the Non-Plug and Play Drivers in Device Manager (click on View and then Show hidden devices) for anything from old programs. I actually found a Symantec driver (symlcbrd), which I uninstalled and then searched for and found in a number of places in the registry. I also took out the old gmer driver (probably an avast remnant) too. I'm now going through the list of drivers on my other pc and checking each one to see if I want it hanging around.

Hope this helps to explain. ;)

15. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Sorry to see you faced lot of problems with Comodo AV part. I don't have any experience with it as i just once used it during v4.

Coming to Sandboxie, luckily i don't have any issue with it. I regularly use it w/o any issues.

Thanks,
    Harsha.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, Harsha.
    The problems were all educational... nothing for me to get angry about... and I learned some stuff. ;)

17. lws

lws Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Page42. Too bad about the problems with CIS however OA will probably serve you well along with Prevx. I never had a problem with CIS full or just the firewall part on my system but that is the way things work out some times. Mix and match and see what runs best. So far CIS firewall defense+ is working well for me along with Geswall but so was sandboxie and OA. It's nice to have a few options to choose from that work equally well. I also added Prevx SOL and feel quite safe browsing with firefox sans AV. :thumb:

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i guess i'm the only one that i have issue with sandboxie + comodo +defense+ enabled

but in the sandboxie there are a lot of users with the same issue :(

what's about OA should be online armor ,is light and simple like comodo?
    but i read conflicts with sandboxie and online armor

drive snapshot ?
    i'm bored to backup & restore via boot cd:cautious:

it's quite scary
    how could cis modify the mbr or boot loader ?

about how make a clean uninstall ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm sticking with official releases, mantra, so I still have 3.52.
    Say, have you tried kjdemuth's suggestions...
    And what about the Comodo Verification Engine... is it checked in SBIE 'all applications' list?

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

OA and SBIE work great together... for me. ;)

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i did everything
    i'm waitning the new sandboxie build
    by the way cis worried me reading your feedbacks:cautious:

sandboxie + cis work 100% to you , good for you , right?

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

CIS worried you, in regard to the Acronis boot disks not working? Is that what you mean? It worried me too. And I don't know why that would be that way. But the disks stopped working upon installation of CIS, and started working when I restored an image.

You ask, "sandboxie + cis work 100% to you , good for you , right?"... and I would say yes, except for the virus update issue. As I wrote, I was able to browse with ease in a sandboxed browser, and I was able to use a sandboxed email client. But I didn't keep CIS around long enough to say for certain whether it worked flawlessly with Sandboxie.

23. Fizbin

Fizbin Registered Member

For those who say their Sandboxie and Comodo are working perfectly, are you running Comodo's sandbox as well? Most haven't mentioned that.

My only concern about solely using Sandboxie and Comodo are drive by's. I'm not sure if Comodo would let me know if I got one...And yes it would be gone when I close Sandboxie (and delete), but if I happen to log in to my banking, before I close, I could be screwed.

mantra: For each time you reinstall Sandboxie (assuming your doing that in your quest to get it working) make sure it goes in a different directory. Like c:/program files/sbie/ for example.

Anyway, careful on the Sandboxie forum. You ask too many questions and tzuk will delete your account (and posts). That's what happened to me.

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Fizbin,
    I'm running sandboxie paid and CIS v5.3 w/ everything enabled. I haven't had any issues. I'm also running it on Win 7 32bit. Having tested CIS with multiple links from MDL and malcode, I can say that you are protected very well against drive by's. I would recommend some tweaking of CIS settings though.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, they work fine together. Just don't sandbox the same things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.