Comodo 3.0.16.295 is out.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fuzzfas, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I have thought about the firewall status screen, but in order to appear there, i must first accept the connection, right?

As for the log, i do have it disabled. I installed beta 74 25 minutes ago and i uninstalled it again. No log, but it's CPU time even with no p2p, was a bit higher. Not awfully high, but i saw oagui having periodic 0-3% spikes, while the gui was closed. In about 10 minutes, with just surfing, OAserv had about 00.00.14 CPU time and OAgui 00.00.10. After 1 hour with Comodo, cmdagent was 00.00.00 and cpf.exe was 00.00.14. (the oddest thing, the gui eating more CPU than the driver,but anyway). With p2p this gap will increase.

I know that it's not much CPU time anyway, it's just me being picky about it. I m spoiled from Kerio 2 that even with the heaviest p2p you have 00.00.00 after 12 hours. As if it wasn't working...

Now i ve put back Comodo with only firewall and leak protection on to see if it gets any lighter.

EDIT: Tried beta74 again. After launching all internet apps to create rules and rebooting for 2nd time CPU time is reduced. But for my taste there is always room for improvement.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Nobody is holding a gun on your head to force you to buy their warranty and unlike e.g. Avira or Sanboxie they don't show you a big popup every day. Comodo is offering a full featured firewall and HIPS for free while Online Armor has many basic features disabled in the free version.

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

So not true
    No body can make you buy a product.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I think most of the people that come to Wilders know what to do if the do become infected. At $79 us a year....my AV costs $39.95 US a year and it updates at least once a day. I use Comodo with D+, I like to have the most protection I can get. I haven't had a popup in days, unless I've installed a update for something. Really D+ is pretty quiet :cool:

5. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I heard that the firewall only option with leak protection disables some protections so you get less pop ups,

I did that same thing when I installed it on a friends pc I disabled most of defense +'s protection so that she wouldn't get many pop ups and now I was wondering what does comodo disable?

I think I disabled all of the protections except loopback, protected registry, protected files/folders, and termination protection,

I didn't notice some one say what it disabled in this thread so please excuse me if some one already answered this I could've missed it.

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is not true. OA free passes all the basic tests. So it is incorrect to say it has basic features disabled. It passes even more than basic tests, its free version is top at Matousec. Despite of the value of those tests it cannot be said OA free has basic features disabled.

7. Dieselman

Protection feature are mostly there but read and compare. With OA free you get a good firewall with limited feature. With Comodo you get all features and more for free.

http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

8. Dieselman

This has always been my problem with OA. Higher pings and slower web browsing.

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I can't deny this. Free Comodo is fully featured product and free OA is feature limited product. This is natural. Comodo is big company (I'd even say FAT company <smile>) and can afford to spend some money just to satisfy their ambitions. Tall Emu doesn't make a feeling of being too fat to make too much charity and is forced to sell their product. This is why I'll be with Tall Emu despite of anything Comodo will show. I like those brave men who risked to penetrate this very very crowded market and posess there an excellent place in such a short time with such a limited resources. Half a year ago I regarded them just crazy, but now I gave my heart to them :)

10. Fuzzfas

Well, CPU Time doesn't have anything to do with ping or browsing. To tell the truth, i can't complain about browsing speed with OA. I haven't noticed any slowdown.

11. Fuzzfas

I will agree that morally speaking, i support OA's behaviour more. They had the same policy since the beginning, clear goals, gave a nice firewall-HIPS for free, didn't resort to slanderous comments to strike their competition and on the contrary have received such attacks. I see Tall Emu as the underdog and i always sympathize for the underdogs.

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Interestion opinion. I'm not native speaker so I'm not sure I've got you right. Does "underdog" == "small company" ? For me "underdog" is rather a company that was big once and then went small :)

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

The underdog is the team that is popularly expected to lose in a contest :)

14. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Thats why I always disable cpfupdate :D
    but not because I don´t trust comodo either because malware could hijack this process.

And I saw how empty process (Windows Operation System) went without asking into Network Security Policy. I deleted all those Ghost entries.

Exactly. Actually state of the art.

Yep many disadvantages that nobody wants to take so comodo is nr.1 and remains nr.1.

15. Fuzzfas

Don't worry, i 'm not exactly native speaker either. Underdog or "dark horse" is as opposed to favourite.

http://www.answers.com/topic/underdog

I mean, you have a small, i suppose, company from Australia, that in a few months come out of the blue and gives a firewall that even in its free edition, wins the first place at matousec and puts all the "old and well-known" companies behind. Not only, but manages to come up with a firewall-HIPS combination that is more user friendly than most hips. How many firewalls of that security level do you know that auto-open ports for example that for not experienced people is a blessing? Personally i prefer controlling myself if a port is allowed to open (i actually prefer Comodo's predefined policies or Kerio's 2 on the fly rule creation) , but there are many people that will see this as a relief.

So, really, this firewall out of nowhere, can beat most commercial firewalls. You can bet that there are many competitors out there that don't like Mike Nash one bit. :D Many won't like Comodo's CEO either, but because there has been a direct clash between the two parts too, i generally appreciated Mike Nash's stance on this issue. He has responded to all attackes (from any part) that i have seen, with dignity. Even in OA's forum there is a quality difference with the way he handled the clash with Comodo. Nash replied in a topic and he locked it, so that we others can't transform it into a Comodo bashing thread. I *think* (not sure) he also deleted another thread someone started about the same issue. Not all behave like him.

16. Fuzzfas

After the ZA-phoning home era, i don't trust anyone but myself. :D

I don't have anything against Comodo, i am using it right now. But, i do have to say that their last firewall release, didn't seem to me 100% coherent with their preaching. I would have appreciated much more and felt much more comfortable to trust them, if , when they came out with Comodo they were answering to the "Why free" question, more directly: Meaning, admitting that they want to create a pool of users, a database of safe applications, sell services to enterprises AND eventually to the home users that want to as well. If not for anything else, because the CEO has an almost dramatic way of saying things, sometimes i thought i was reading the Messiah of internet Security, while, at the end, it is proven that "his kingdom, IS of this world too". This is further proved from the fact that the implementation of the non updatable virus scanner in this release, served only to launch the paid service. Because i can't see any other reason to implement a new feature like a scanner, that can't update. You release the version on 5 February? On 6, the scanner is already getting obsolete, on 13 it will be rather old, on 23 it will be quite useless. The feature IMHO is a "theoretical" feature that could have waited until it made more sense, but they didn't wait because they wanted to launch the paid service. So they added 20 MB of dead weight on the installer because they needed to launch the paid service. I mean, it's their product, they write the EULA and it's fine, i just don't take what they say about their motives as gold anymore and don't get impressed by big words and political-like manifestos.

Not all people are Wilders' members. Comodo has its own disadvantages. OA is easier to use. If it was on par in CPU Time, i would be using it probably. Comodo has some nice features, but it's so fragmented, that can make a newbie user get dizzy. If i had to choose a firewall for my dad between OA and Comodo, i would certainly choose OA, because poor man, he wouldn't have a clue on what Comodo is doing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Thanks. Now I hope I understand what did you mean. And if I do, this is very close to what I personally think but cannot express :)

18. Fuzzfas

You 're welcome. Yes, i think we are saying the same thing. :)

19. Dieselman

The problem with Comodo is that it is clearly not for beginners. It is a full featured Firewall with great HIPS. It takes some learning and patience but it comes with a great help file system which has always been lacking in OA. If you want simple then use ZA or maybe OA free. If you take the time to learn and read and understand Comodo you will be fine. The latest version solves the pending files problem. If you use Clean PC Mode in D+ you will get pending files. Any other mode will not give you pending files. The D+ alerts are clear to understand.

20. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Personally I distrust anything that comes from theplanet.com. I think so, the last version is extremely strange.

I like firewalls but now I understand why hoglund said firewalls are a joke. Someone tried Shark 3 against Comodo, if you allow access to service control, Comodo has lost and becomes TOTALLY useless. (keyloggs work with ease, firewall don´t take notice of outbound activities and so on.. full range kernel level unhooking=full firewall/hip bypass)

They (firewalls) need inner core protection even if things are allowed otherwise joke-like toys.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I went to CFP v2.4 because it is simple enough to use that even a firewall newbie can use it. After about 2 years of waiting for v3 it finally arrived, and I did the upgrade only to be transported to a FW with too many options to consider like what's the best mode to put it in for me. Should I install with D+ or not. Then I was confronted with the insurmountable bugs that didn't allow me to continue. I guess by now they have corrected the bugs, but my needs are simple and I don't require that complicated a FW. I tried OA after reading comments in Wilders, and it fits like a glove. No BS just a well organized FW. As for their help file being lacking, you should check the web site and access the new help file. Put it in your Favorites and access it as you need it. It's nice. I'm patiently waiting for the new release which is reported to have made some decent improvements. :D

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Is it me, or has any mention of Comodo Pro being easy to use even for the novice completely gone now on their website? I know this was mentioned on the "old" website download page that has now been replaced by the more marketable give us your money version. Also I think something was mentioned in the previous versions release notes about how the firewall's learning mode enables "gamers" as well as novice users to configure their firewalls easily. I googled "Comodo Pro Firewall 3.0 for novice users" and it seems many websites claim it is indeed for novice users as well as advanced ones. I just wonder what Comodo has to say about the firewall being for novice users now? Can anyone find anything on this?

23. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Folks, let's focus this thread back to "Comodo 3.0.16.295" specific posts, and stay away from any additional comparisons between CPF and other products, or any discussions about how the various companies manage their product marketing differently.

A couple replies about other products have been removed.

24. Dieselman

Your statement about "give us your money" is false. Comodo Firewall is FREE and will remain free forever. Comodo is offering an OPTIONAL protection service if you choice to use it. It is clearly not part of the firewall. Its like when you buy a car and the saleman offers you an OPTIONAL extended warranty. Does it mean you have to buy it. NO. Thats what optional mean. As far as easy to use this is the case if you dont use Clean PC Mode.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I think this one needs to be rephrased.

I have installed Comodo firewall w/o defense+ for some high school kids--most are first year pc users. They like it, enjoy it, and are very grateful. Therefore, I say Comodo firewall is clearly for beginners, if you make it to work to that effect.

As to the optional warranty service , IMO, it has clearly pushed Comodo out of elite class--quality freeware offers quality free service. It is a shame, why on earth, the CEO would allow this to happen ? is he a changed man now? where is his respectful missions ? He must have had too much of LOUIS thirteen.

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.