Comodo 3.0.16.295 is out.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fuzzfas, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

on protected files/folders of Opera u can add allowed files/folders like this for example:
    C:\Documents...\User\Desktop\*
    this way Opera is allowed to create anything on the desktop without asking every time

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks. Yes, i know. You can also go to Opera's own rule and click modify and give it permission, so that only opera can access the desktop and create whatever she likes.

But then i have other programs too that need to access various folders and so i prefer disabling it.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The installer could show all the options earlier. If D+ is chosen then the different levels are only shown if default is not chosen, but the anti-leak mode is not shown unless the firewall only mode is chosen. This last point is strange as it puts one right back in D+ after choosing to not use it. Probably part of the fallout from Scott Finney's idiotic babble.

4. xandros

xandros Registered Member

thank you

5. EricEgan

EricEgan Registered Member

Just a bit of advice regarding these "PENDING FILES".

I only myself figured it out the other day but if you click on "PURGE" this will remove all the "TEMPORARY" .tmp etc files from your pending list. You'll be surprised how many this clears out!

You can then do your Lookup and Submit afterwards. If it's a file from a program you know to be safe just select thoes ones and ADD to my Safe Files" This will for now put these in your SAFE FILES list and you can lookup and submit those in your own time or just check them every now and then with the Lookup feature and it will add the "Comodo SAFE" files to the Defense+ Safe Files List (not sure where exactly these are held).

Purging your Pending Files now and again will really clear out those items. Usually there are hundreds of temp files from when you install a program etc...

Eric

6. Fuzzfas

I asked twice about this in Comodo forum, but nobody seems willing to reply.

Has anyone figured out whether there is really an AV signature update in Comodo? There is no signature version anywhere.

Check for updates doesn't seem to download signatures either.

IF (big if) there is a signature update, then it is during boot as Coolio said and behind the back of the user that can't verify anything. But i tend to find it odd to not be able to update manually too. I also blocked internet access during boot to see if it would try to update later. No connection was made. And i have had no pop up from Comodo during normal operation.

So, what's the deal with the AV scanner? I tend to believe that it doesn't update anything.

Ehm...Coolio maybe?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Installed the new verion. IMO virus scan is useless without a right click scan menue for explorer. Did anyone posted a wish list for this feature? Also on scan results there is only delete option, no quarantine.

8. Fuzzfas

Yes, this is how on theory you should do it. But i have better things to do that eating my upload speed to send all pending files to Comodo. So i purge, send them to safe files and then remove them. With the new version, my plan is to soon abbandon clean PC mode and go to Train with Safe mode, that shouldn't create pending files anylonger.

9. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

If you want less pending files the move the slider in D+ to Train with Safe Mode like the Firewall slider. If you are in Clean PC Mode then any file or app introduced after the initial install of Comodo will be added to pending files. When ever I download something it shows up in my pending files if I use Clean PC Mode. With the slider on Train with Safe Mode I no longer get pending files. You still have the same protection also. :)

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Rather than starting a new thread, as this concerns the updated
    Comodo firewall, I will take my chances here. My question (also posted
    in Comodo forum) :-

I did a clean install (the whole hog !) in order to get Firewall plus Leak Test option.
    Now if I import my previous configuration, will this nullify the Leak Test protection ?

Under Manage Configurations I now have 'My Firewall Prefs' ticked instead of
    Comodo Network Security which includes Leak Test protection.

Please advise. Thank and regards.

11. Dieselman

Well I have D+ enabled and I pass all leak tests.

EC: Dieselman, please don't quote the entire post, especially when it's the most recent post in the thread. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  12. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

This version did not work for me, network installation corrupted. I stepped back to 3.0.15.

13. Dieselman

Make sure you do a complete uninstall first.

14. SystemJunkie

I tried several times, at the end I wasn´t able to connect to the internet therefore I reinstalled my backup from january this runs with ease (fluent and fast like water) and I doubt that I will retry to install latest Comodo, because of the network problems. Never change a running system. :D

15. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Sounds like you need a maintenance run on your computer... perhaps a registry and file clutter scan + defragmentation might help.

16. Dieselman

There is an extensive uninstall and clean procedure in the Comodo fourms. I never had to use it but give it try. Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode always does the trick for me. Also CCleaner registry issues.

17. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Anti-Leak is Defense+ without protection against direct access to Monitor, Disks and Keyboard and less Protected files and less Protected COM Interfaces.

18. Dieselman

Note: Pending files has been addressed and fixed. You should only see pending files in Clean PC mode so novices can see what files are added or ones they are not sure of. Use D+ in Training plus Safe Mode and you will not have any pending files or atleast hardly any. I have no pending files any more using Training plus Safe Mode.

19. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I just guessed :D. Oh and people who think the virus scanner is useless it is not suppose to be full fledged av. It is the CAVS3 engine but since none of you read the forums you would not know.

I love the new antileak. I pass all tests on firewall leak tester with 2 or less alerts. So they must have done some internal changes too which is why the updater will not turn on anti-leak itself.

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep newest release is in fact RC3

21. SystemJunkie

I have to agree actually I remain with old version.
    Old brooms sweep better. :D :D :D

Maybe I will give it a try again next release or on another system.

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

You know, I think I'm beginning to trust Comodo less and less. They are a big business with making money as their goal, and to me this is slowly becoming more apparent. Although I won't argue that there is nothing wrong with a company wanting to make money. I somehow feel it has been their goal all along to woo us, pull us in, (and perhaps even use us as guinea pigs with these releases) and now no matter how inexpensive it sounds, they are asking for money to remove infections that none of us will probably ever incur. Say what you will, but Online Armor offers a free version with no strings attached and offers excellent support to boot. Which if you check out the Comodo forums as of late seems to be lacking. Just my opinion of course, but I have been around the block a few times at my age, and I am beginning to think the old addage "if it sounds to good to be true, then maybe it is" seems to be beginning to fit here a little more than it did before.

23. Fuzzfas

There is certainly a discrepancy between older claims and current facts in Comodo policy. They used to say that they target the enterprise market, while now it turns that they want to introduce a paid service to home users that would want to. It's their right of course, but i too have become more cautious towards them. But, as long as i get it for free , it's light and doesn't phone home, i can live with it. I do think that their motives aren't as candid as they present them. I have also suspected that their lookup-submit policy, was made in order to obtain a vast library of applications. I mean, for example, the only way to have a "clean" My Safe Files folder, is to look them up. I was always curious about this. I mean, if you look the file up, it will disappear from the list and leave it tidy and empty. If you ARE certain it is a trusted application, there is no way to get rid of it from the list and put it to trusted. It will remain there to clog you list forever. I was always suspicious about that. I saw this as a subtle way to "encourage" you to sumbit files to them. Now you can avoid pending files alltogether, but clean PC mode, *is* the easiest mode to operate.

I am also baffled by the fact that the latest version introduces a scanner that apparently doesn't update its definitions. The weirdest thing, is that nobody in Comodo's forum seems to care. There are people that want to know about the engine used, its speed, others that complain that it doesn't work in Vista, others that would have liked a scheduled scan option etc. And nobody sees that if it doesn't update, it is worthless. So what good scheduled scans will do to you in one month from now, when it will have 1 month old definitions? People are weird... :blink: In fact, the only valid readon that i can find for the inclusion of this new, but "feature" in this version, is to launch the paid service. Because otherwise, for the non paying user, i can't see the use of a scanner that can't update its signatures. So, IMHO, adding in the change log a "NEW!" feature that is incomplete at best, only served as firework to introduce the paid service. It's their right of course, but i don't like such fireworks.

I am waiting for the final OA Free too and then will weigh my decision. Problem is OA eats a bit more CPU Time with p2p than Comodo and i hate the fact that doesn't tell me the destination IP.

We 'll see.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I use Comodo firewall pro as a firewall only, nothing more. Its added features including recent one begging fees for its clean service is an indication that this app is drifting farther and further away its primary mission-protecting its users in Internet traffic control.

Whether this development is a healthy or corrupted one, time will tell. Meantime, as an end user, just needs to put your own guard up.

Take care.

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Sorry for off-topic-ness - but check the firewall status screen for destination IP address, and turn off firewall logging to avoid cpu use.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.