comodo 2.4 - whats's up??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by watch-it, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watch-it

watch-it Registered Member

hi there,

I read a lot of comodo firewall in this forum, all in all most users here are convinced of it's superior qualitiy; as I'm using NOD32 I'm looking for a good firewall and comodo seems to be no.1 in this case, so I installed it a few weeks ago and I felt quite comfortable with it. :)

When they released the new version 2.4, I used acronis to recover the image I made before I installed the "old" version and installed this new version.

First, everything seemed to be fine, but then I recognized the following: when I started Nero, comodo informed me that Nero wants to access the internet (it always trys to, because it downloads a "special offer" for the Nero user, which is then popping up in the task-bar on the right bottom of the screen); comodo asked me what to do, I chose "deny" and "remeber my answer".

I couldn't believe what happend next: the comodo task icon was animated with a green arrow showing that there is outgoing traffic and nero recieved its' information from the internet and showed up the "special offer"....:eek:

Can it be that comodo passes every leaktest and on the other hand is not able to fulfill one of the most basic task a firewall has, namely to stop applications connecting to the internet? o_O

Im just wondering if anyone else made similar experiences... someone has an explanation for this behaviour??

I tried other firewalls from Security-Suites (trial versions: Bitdefender 10, NIS 2007, PC-Cillin 2007)and everytime I first recovered my image so it was all under same conditions; the result: ervery firewall blocked nero efficiently, no "special offer" was popping up.

Finally I repeated the "test" again with comodo, thinking I probably hit the wrong button, but same result.

any comments??

2. Mr. Malware

Mr. Malware Registered Member

Sounds like yet another good reason to NEVER install Comodo Firewall.

3. waters

waters Registered Member

The last version asked me about nero and i clicked no .Does this mean that it allowed nero , though i said no

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That is strange, but you should post at the comodo forum for a proper answer, unless Stem has something to say. Either the forum, or support directly.

5. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Just check your "Application Monitor" rules. If you see nero in there, delete it. Then the next time nero tries to communicate out, you should be able to permanently block it. What may have happened is you elected to "Scan for Trusted Applications" when you setup Comodo, and doing so, I believe, automatically supplies "allowed" rules to known trusted apps.

6. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

...or Nero :shifty:

Prassi ONES is the way to go...

7. watch-it

watch-it Registered Member

hmm... that may be, I remember that comodo scanned for applications.... I'll check this out and will let you know.

anyway, very strange to handle it that way: if a firewall asks me what to to with an application and I tell the firewall to stop it, then I expect the firewall to do so; the user believes an application is stopped while comodo allows it to connect, that's a very bad handling in my humble opinion.

thx

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  8. Mr. Malware

Mr. Malware Registered Member

Exactly. When you block an application in a Firewall, you should expect it to be blocked, not go ahead and do what ever it wants. Especially when you set up a blocking rule.
    That's not very good on Comodo's part in my opinion. I would be looking for another Firewall if it continue's.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Again, the thing is, you should say that in the comodo forum. I would appreciate it, it could happen to me, but since it happened to you, you can expain the situation better.
    Remember, it's a free firewall, and the developers are open to suggestions, bug reports, etc..

10. cprtech

I re-installed Comodo just to verify this and some other things. The option when installing is actually: "Automatically approve the applications certified by Comodo". Choosing this will allow these types of apps network access.

Also, I use Nero and when I chose the updater function I was easily able to block it when Comodo alerted me on it. I have never encountered Comodo allowing access to anything I have chosen to block, though I used their previous full release far more extensively than this one.

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I would think if Nero was listed in the approved applications, Comodo wouldn't be asking if it wanted Internet access in the first place - it would just allow it. That is the purpose of it scanning for known apps - so you don't have to approve them all and be bugged with prompts. I have had some of the same problems with Comodo forgetting both application and network rules. Doesn't happen very often, but is a little disconcerting. Comodo is not the only firewall I've used that has had this problem at times, however. I've used a couple of others that were worse - either forgetting the rule or changing the order of my rules, etc.

12. cprtech

Yes, that did cross my mind. The only thing I can think of is that the "Alert frequency level" was increased, and then a different parent app was trying to launch nero, thereby triggering the alert. Not sure what else could have done it.

The one other anomoly that annoyed me with this release which I saw in the last is that I was alerted for the exact same rule on an app that I had already created for it earlier - same protocol, local ports, remote ports, parent apps, direction, and the checksum of the app or parent app had not changed either.

13. seething

seething Registered Member

Check your logs and see if nero access was denied.
    Another thing untick nero check in msconfig.

14. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Comodo 2.4: Anyone else having problems?

My computer woes started shortly after installing the newest version of Comodo. Version 2.3 has been very stable on my computer, but I am not certain about V2.4.

My problems started with email issues. 1st I lost the ability to send emails, but could still receive. Later in the day I couldn't send or receive emails. I was also having problems getting cetain websites to load. Theb I finally lost all internet connectivity.

I ran a program called Winsock repair and seem to be functionig fine for now. I am curious though if anyone else has experienced similar issues?

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: Comodo 2.4: Anyone else having problems?

I haven't had any problems with 2.4. I don't know if it means anything, but on the morning we were expecting the upgrade to be released I checked a few times during the morning and updater said "no updates available". The last time it said that for me was about 11:30AM, and then when I checked at 12:35PM, it automatically went into download and the installation was done in a few minutes. No problems. About 3:00PM I checked the forum and no body was able to get their upgrade until much later, I assume because the servers were overloaded, and then some people had issues. Could it be that installations later in the day were slightly corrupted from the server problem? What if you were to re-install your CPF again now that the problems have been resolved? I'm only giving an uneducated guess, but would it be worth a try?

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Due to PM I have installed to check.

(this is from a clean install of Comodo 2.4.16.174)

Nero is a certified application within Comodo, so no alert and internet access will be given if the option "Do not show alerts for the applications certified by Comodo" is enabled/checked. Disabling this option does cause Comodo to alert to access attempt by Nero (V6 on this setup), blocking the attempt does in fact block the access. Changing parent application for startup of Nero does give another alert, selecting to block this simply creates another rule, and the access is blocked.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Did you have "component control" enabled? If a new component is added then you will be prompted again to allow the same application access (even with already created rules) due to the new component.
    Check the popup for "unknown components" warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.