Comments, questions, suggestions

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi nodyforever !

sxe asks about date . ESET never announced to the public a sticky date re. v4 commercial release . However one can have opinion when this may happen - in 2009 :D In 1H of 2009 as written on the web-sites . But this could be March , April , June and even February or May. And as everything could happen and something might go wrong , it might even be not 1H of 2009 . So , nothing absolute ;)

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The training department reminded me that installation videos for ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 can be viewed at http://www.eset.com/training/.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. stevenz

stevenz Registered Member

hello again
    i fully uninstalled v3 ess.
    i installed ess v4.
    stopped half way through install,and computer blue screened.
    rebooted.
    orange tray icon.
    real time file protection disabled.
    checked box in settings.
    rebooted.
    same thing.
    tried default username password.
    wouldn't update.
    tried my original username password.
    wouldn't update.
    had to uninstall v4.
    what a hassle that was.
    any ideas what may be wrong?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, remove v3 completely (you can use MSI cleanup from Microsoft or Revo uninstaller in case of problems with uninstallation). BSOD can also be caused by problematic NIC drivers, the best would be to get a complete memory dump when a BSOD occurs.

V4 can only be updated from a specific server using the built-in username and password. Other credentials won't work because v4 beta doesn't update from the same location as v3 does.

5. stevenz

stevenz Registered Member

hello Marcos
    thank you for your reply.
    i used revo uninstaller to uninstall essv3.
    i even used a registry cleaner to remove all traces of v3.
    I tried using v4 with the username/password it installs with,but no update.
    i then used my v3 username password.
    still no update.
    when i went to uninstall v4 ,ess uninstaller on program menu said no application is installed.
    i looked in revo uninstaller,no entry for it .
    i like using ess and hope i can sort this out.
    thank you.

6. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Hello,

I agree totally

Most Regards,
    NF

7. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi:

I don't know if this has been requested here but I have certainly added it on the V.3 forum: PLEASE add support for Opera's M2 Mail client !!!
    There is a lot of people using it, it's a great mail client with a lot of features that has been recently improved on Opera's v.10 alpha and will continue to grow.

8. rekun

rekun Registered Member

So guys, this is all good. The new nice gui, better self-defense and improved firewall. BUT is it just me, or haven't NOD32 had any technical virus detection improvements since version 2.7 were the addition of rootkit detection were a new feature.

When there are new releases of Kaspersky, Norton, AVG or whatever they all come with detection improvements. NOD32 is missing these, and therefore it is lacking in detecting viruses compared to some of the others o_O This is the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF AN AV, so I recommend you will include some of these features in version 4. You can't relay on signatures more, now less then ever. Maybe some kind of improved Heusteric or HIPS or something(you will know, you are working with it)

Anyway, I still use your AV, because it's simple and light, so don't destroy this

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not sure what you mean, new detections are added all the time, and ESET's heuristics are arguably one of the best.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This statement is completely wrong. How come v3/v4 detects more than v2 then? Improvements are made to the engine and advanced heuristics module which enables us to react immediately without waiting 1-2 years for a brand new version. Actually a lot of significant heuristic improvents have been made recently and distributed to all version users.

11. rekun

rekun Registered Member

sorry about that statement then o_O seems like i wasn't right informed then.

12. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

Hello,
    ESS4 Very much it was pleasant, I am very happy, thanks Eset :thumb:

But is, not the big problem,UAC Blocks eset GUI!!!
    Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP1-beta SP2
    1.Custom scan...
    -Scanning of operative memory:Malware The started from a name ADMINESTRATOR-It is not found out, in operative memory

-boot sector -It is not checked, there are no rights

I think from for shortages of the rights, there can be problems, with a finding and removal Malware
    http://smages.com/i/88/4a/884a6ced9de39db6049e64a682371097.png

2.When it is started Eset GUI. Automatically, it is checked, operative memory, shortage of the rights
    about
    http://smages.com/i/69/7b/697b0fdda18796be98f40877aadcd5ad.png
    --------------------------------
    P.S
    It is clear. That threats, will neutralise, other modules, functions

I switch off UAC (Strictly, it is forbidden, it to do),- works correctly
    Or
    The started From a name-Administrator- Eset GUI -works correctly
    -------------------------------
    I want the best research SysInspector, 32 bit areas Windows, in 64 bit Windows

Now the good.
    But I want, hundred percentage disclosing of the crimes, all modules. Malware the processed: Protector, Crypter, packed

If it is chosen: potentially unwanted applications, potentially unsafe applications
    The most part malware, uses it, for concealment

Excuse, I use the automatic translator. It can be not clear.

I from Moscow:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  13. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

It would be nice if you add a warning message in ESS "Removable Media Blocked by ESS" or something like that when removable media is being blocked and the option is enabled by the admin. without the user knowing -or not- because as of now, when a CD is not allowed to start by ESS there is no warning and I believe it should be.

14. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Very good work. Always improving, especially the heuristics are doing very good. That is, without making tons of false positives, which is very good. Though the signature detection is not very good, when used along with advanced heuristics the results are great. Keep up the good work and I wish you'll be able to make heuristics even better.:thumb:

15. nodyforever

Hello,

Sugestions:

I would like the animated icon was not simply turn on the eye contour, but do something more useful for example to fill the eye in concordance with the scan is being done? I think it would be more useful ....

2. I would also like the tab "Watch Activity Monitor" could see the samples of virus sent, received and confirmed as also submit the false positives that user sent to the laboratory of ESET presenting all these data together in a graph can show the same results a global level.

no more matter of time ...

Most Reagds,

NF

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think this can't happen because the way ESET Virus Labs works now . They don't inform the end user of the results of the samples submitted . Placing such an option in the program(s) itself means any end user will have some kind of access to the information ESET have and we will be able to see how they have or haven't dealed with a file sent . In cases where a FP has been sent but NOT fixed for more than a week (for example) , the end will have a confirmation they have actually received the sample but haven't dealed with it. The same applies to sample that has been received but for some reason hasn't been added to NOD32/ESS database . Yes , it can be malicious , it could have already been analysed , but detection NOT added . This will open a big whole between ESET and their users who will ask why this or that was still not added (but ESET got it) or why a FP wasn't fixed . ESET won't appreciated this . Additionally , hackers and malware writers will also be able to look in the Lab if some information appears to the public (in forums , for example) .

17. ok i am being really nit picking im trying this out now instead of just the nod beta. i think the GUI ON ESSv4 beta when installed on WINDOWSXP is really old looking as well as the light baby blue tray icon looks dated. i hope its made a little more appealing like the Nod 32 v4 beta is and i know this is probably not the final packaging of this great product which even though my license on nod 32v3 is good till july but when ESSV4 comes out of Beta I am UPGRADING pronto. thank you for all the hard work involved in getting this Application just right and putting up with comments like mine.

18. nodyforever

Never thought of that precious.

you have a different perspective to the my perspective is valid?

19. Handries

Handries Registered Member

Leak Test

Now that I have read all of the positive comments about this new beta release, I have taken the plunge and installed it this morning, and so far everything seems to be working OK.

One added bonus I found is that this release blocks the Gibson's "Leak Test" from making an outbound connection when the filtering mode on the firewall is set on: "Automatic mode with exceptions" and I defined this in the rule settings, which was not possible with ESS version 3.
    My thanks to the developers for making this rule possible.

20. ottomatik

ottomatik Registered Member

Where's the love for the new SysRescue bootable CD? This is my favorite new feature. One suggestion I have for it is that the most recent definitions be included on the CD when you are creating it, rather than having to download them once booted to the CD. Also, I guess that it is asking a little much of typical end users to download/install Windows AIK to be able to create the disc, but I guess this feature isn't really geared towards the typical end user.

As others have said, keep the bloat down so I can keep selling your products and I'll be happy.

21. Johnny812

Johnny812 Registered Member

I'm loving the 4 beta so far....would love to test a newer release soon (hint, hint)

I posted this in the v3 section....but I personally would LOVE to see this added in v4:

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I would love to see some sort of an visual in/out activity meter. (similar to zone alarm, filezilla, etc?)

I would love to see something like this:

- general "Eye" icon is a dark desaturated green.

- the outer ring of the eye icon lights bright green with incoming traffic

- the inner iris/pupil of the eye turns red with outgoing traffic

with the more activity in each, the brighter the colours flash (on a five grade colour scale). what ya think?

22. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Improve firewall, fails alot of leak tests.

23. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

i hope eset will improve the "External Applications"
    so i can add more than one application and install software just like in windows but into the SysRescue build instead

i need one that supports adding cdkey so i can add my Acronis Disk Director and Acronis True Image into the SysRescue build

keep up the good work and if this is added SysRescue will be awesome and a great tool for File Backup & Virus Cleanup

24. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

Hello,
    What's this new module "System Status Module"?

25. dorgane

dorgane Guest

it is windows update.
    Eset check if you make system update

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.