Comments, questions, suggestions

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Nov 18, 2008.

1. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Hookers suck!

2. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Just installed it, so I've only got GUI feedback. If you're going to insist on having menu animations by default, make them as fast as possible. The new systray icon is rather awful. :eek:

3. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i agree with you eset have to make a option for disable self-defence on and off

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello, in my opiniom Self-Defense is necessary for every security software. When I tested v3 on one sample, it hadn't got problem to disable it. Now, with new module, v4 worked on. It has been very simple "to shoot down" whole protection before.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That would be a fair solution, Kaspersky offers it. As long a it could not be done with a script, defeating the purpose of having it at all.

6. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Do you want integrate Kaspersky, Symantec, etc. to ESET Smart Security? I see this just like that. :mad:

Success of ESET's solutions must be based on unique, not copying other ideas.

7. SuicidePunk

SuicidePunk Registered Member

Ok what about using a spécial app for that ?, i mean just use a HIPS with your AV.
    Many years with only nod32 av + firefox+ adblock, and NOT a single infection, my PC is runing smoothly, no conflict with other applications, and no BSOD.
    And believe if someone is targeting you, with or without your HIPS you will be infected...

8. xxJackxx

Why use a special app to compensate for a weakness in your security app? There are too many competitors that offer self defense. If ESET wants to remain competitive it has to happen. If there are a large number of people that don't want it, an option to disable should be sufficient for anyone.

9. proactivelover

i vote +1

10. SuicidePunk

SuicidePunk Registered Member

It is NOT a weakness but a design, remember ESET was renowned by its lightness, effective heuristique, and always not a bloated FAT security program that slowdown a computer and disturb other application.. just like a malaware does ...

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes please a disable option..

12. proactivelover

in scaning skip file option is very usefull
    because if scanner take too much time in scan a compress file user can easily skip file

13. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

+1 vote

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Re: Any GOOD new firewall improvementso_O?

Hello,

The version (program component) updater is built into NOD32 v2.50, NOD32 v2.70, ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0, ESET Smart Security v4.0 and the beta test versions of ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0 and ESET Smart Security v4.0.

If you have a list of web sites you would like to block, you can import them from a text file in the Advanced Setup. Here's how to do this, step-by-step:

1. Open the graphic user interface and press F5 to open the Advanced Setup window
    2. In the left navigation pane, go to Antivirus and Antispyware -> Web Access Protection -> HTTP, HTTPS -> Address Management. In the right pane, HTTP address management will appear.
    3. In the HTTP address management pane, select List of blocked addresses/masks from the drop-down list.
    4. In the lower right corner of the window, click on the downward pointing triangle on the Add...▼ button and From File. The Open window will appear.
    5. Browse to the location of your list of web sites to block and select it.

You can also whitelist sites from this location in the program so that the user will only be able to access specific sites listed in the program.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. jhuk

jhuk Banned

I installed this Beta over my full build on Vista Ult 64 SP2.

I have had slow web due to DNS issue with Virgin Media (now a totally crap ISP unlike the good old Telewest Blueyonder service) for days so cannot comment on slow surfing if caused by Eset like some other users report.

I do not like the washed out Tray Icon, its needs brightened up same as the r and orange versions of it, it was fine the darker blue it used to be

I cannot close Windows Mail after a Mail is caught by ESET AntiSpam (fine if none is caught).

I am having issues with Updates both Auto and Manual, changing user/pass to my own does not fix so changed them back to Beta User/Pass.

I have finally learned MS are full of crap about using your Firewall to turn of Network Discovery and Sharing as it can only work if you use the Windows Firewall (so no idea why they even put that info in the Network Section).

EDIT : (Adding from my other post to keep all my issues in 1 place).

Ok it was not the best idea to test this Beta on same night my ISP was having their normal DNS issues due to oversubscription etc (Virgin Media, used to be no1 ISP Telewest Blueyonder but now a total joke).

Anyhow back to issue, I assumed the next day was still DNS issues as I could hardly use the web but downloads were full 20meg speed and I was trying to load dozens of sites (inc this very site) at less than 14kbit modem speeds from the 1990's and even some of them would not load.

Two days later I think enough is enough so try using OpenDNS, it makes no difference so I think it cannot be my normal crap ISP DNS issues and I read some have slow browsing issue with this Beta.

I ignored the above initially because I had tried to surf with all 3 aspects of ESET disabled using the Tray Icon and it made no difference but here is the weird part.

Ok I decided to uncheck HTTP Scanning and my browsing is back to full speed, nearly all sites open and load 100% instantly.

It works if I leave that 1 setting unchecked, no matter if all 3 aspects of ESET are enabled or disabled it works.

I think not much testing went out on this before public got invited to test added to the other bugs I and others are getting.

We need another new build FAST.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  16. proactivelover

i am fan of this option
    shutdown PC when complete scan

17. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

In Web Access Protection - List of Blocked Addresses - please allow each address in the list to be conditional on the currently logged in user and the time of day and day of week (e.g. block bebo.com if user = "amy" and time = between 00:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday).

Alternatively allow a certain address dependent on logged in user and time of day & day of week.

It would also be useful if firewall rules could be dependent on currently logged in user and time of day & day of week.

According to the list of known issues on this page it seems that you have had a similar idea for the firewall:

"# Filtering of http addresses according to user missing
    # FW filter according to user/time missing"

18. xxJackxx

It is not my intent to argue about this all day, but I consider it a weakness when I have been infected before because of it. This entire subject came up because someone determined v4 already hooks the system as part of its self defense, and if this is correct, I have not found it to slow things down in the least, and I have had no stability issues yet. Plus, if an option to disable is given, it makes the discussion of this particular subject pointless, so my 2 cents is include it with a disable option. That should leave nobody unhappy. Malware is evolving, and products must do more. If the concern is for the "lightness" of the product, I think they are still doing a fine job there.

19. zfactor

doesnt seem to heavy to me, scanning is pretty fastit does use more ram than before. web browsing imo is faster with kis2009 or nis2009 than with the new version 4. i have had firefox hang more than a few times on a few web pages. the same pages do not hang with either of the other mentioned.

the new gui is pretty nice i personally miss the good old 2.xx gui myself but i guess everyone is going this way now.

i am seeing spikes of 50% cpu for a min or two or longer at times.

i would really like a self defense option to be available.

and vista security center is not seeing ess v4 as being turned on.

ess flagged a couple of files i know for sure are NOT virus' so im not sure if this new engine has better or worse hueristics?? have they been changed. a quick scan with ess3 did not flag 3 files ess4 did??

ill report more as i can if eset can get this one right like what i was hoping ess3 would have been i will switch back over. i have been a nod user for so many years with the older versions but ess3 just didnt do it for me. for those i know that are using suites like kis2009 a freind of mine for instance HAS TO USE parental controls for his daughter. this would be a great feature for those people to be able to have and maybe have a "custom" option during instal so those that dont want it dont have to install it. i would also like to see a suite that allows turning things off if i want to for a while without screeming at me to turn them back on i.e. kaspersky..

20. Nerius

Nerius Registered Member

Just installed beta4. Ugly interface. Specially new icon. Too bright colors.
    Please change back to old 3.0 GUI, or give an option to choose between another colors atleast. Well i prefer the old one.

My network speed really got much slower with v4. I had around 600mbit. Down to 200Mbit with v4 installed. (Firewall in Interactive mode)
    (i have 1gb/s lan)

Otherwise seems fine and like a good work. Seems to be working just fine atleast for now.

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As usual, please send those files in a password protected archive to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url in the subject.

22. zfactor

will do today when i get back home.

i agree about the colors

23. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Hello,

Suggestion

Possible Update offline database virus ESS/EAV v4

MOst Regards,
    NF

24. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

This feature won't be added because of ESET's policy.

25. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

I read somewhere that they where thinking about the possibility to do it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.