Comments, questions, suggestions

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Re: v4 very nice - Thanks ESET

V4 updates from a different location with beta update files and thus does not recognize other usernames/passwords.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I see err so what do I do know.

3. Marcos

Try uninstalling v4 and installing it from scratch.

4. Dark Shadow

As I thought thank you.One other Note to Admin and Modes marcos etc,I see some other post are starting up with simliar topics and being we are talking about V4 here,May I suggest maybe merging them seems kinda crazy multiple post for same product v4 Beta.PS just a suggestion though.

5. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Re: What about HIPS?

Do you mean not in this build or not at all in this version?

6. Marcin_K

Marcin_K Registered Member

The Bat! Antispam Integration

Hi,

Any plans on incorporating antispam funcionality to The Bat! along with v4 final release?

7. Marcos

Perhaps we could have one thread where you could express your opinions about the beta and the issues you find would be discussed in separate threads?

8. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Re: What about HIPS?

All in this version.

9. Dark Shadow

BTW updates all ok now @ default user name/password thanks

10. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

What is System status module?

11. SuicidePunk

SuicidePunk Registered Member

Thanks guys for the new version, it's just great.
    Well, But am i dreaming or nod has hooked my SSDT ??:cautious:

I thought nod was not as the other blind AV hookers. :doubt:
    i used to see this in nod
    nod.gif

and now...
    nod-hook.gif

I think that nod will finish like all other AV, hooking all the SSDT, IDT.... just like malaware dose ...
    - Hooking plays on OS stability
    - Disturb other software
    - Slowdown the machine
    - Confuse user: example
    If i am searching for malaware/rootkit on X machine, then i open an antirootkit, seeing SSDT hooked by a malaware + Security software:: then what are rootkit hooks ??
    HOOKS ARE BAD :thumbd:
    i think that hooks are added to improve self defense...
    Hook hater here, if only we can decide on NOT installing hook/ self defense v4 would be just great.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  12. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Any GOOD new firewall improvementso_O?

Has the firewall been improved?

I occasionally have issues from the current V3 version. Sometimes I have to disable/re-enable a SHARED folder before it can be accessed from another PC in the house. For example, I get the shared folder working. The week goes by, files have been added, and removed randomly. Then I get on my latop, it attempts to access this shared folder. It denies it persmission until I turn the sharing off on that folder, and then allow sharing on that same folder. I indeed narrowed it down to ESET Smart Security when I temporarily uninstalled it, and the issue never happened.

Is there more SIMPLICITY MODE for a HOME network user? Something like, allow all access on your home/local network activities?

If not, I suggest such a mode.

I know about the trusted zone setup, but it's just more simple for an inexperience PC user to click, ALLOW ALL HOME NETWORK ACTIVITIES.

I often recommend ESET to all my clients, as I am a PC Technician.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I agree with you . I don't like the Self-Defence in the new version . Got only problems with it and have always had problems with Self Defences . In 2006 , after several years of using Panda , I ditched it because of problem between their Self-Defence and Windows . When testing , I have almost always had problem with Kaspersky's SelfDefence . I kind a hate such Self-Defences and products that do hooks .Hope ESET will change something till the final version .

14. Dark Shadow

Here is something just started to appear window security center warning Nod32 3.0 is not currently turned on but it is running system tray.I guess this could be as its still registed in security center as V3 perhaps.

Attached Files:

15. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Re: Any GOOD new firewall improvementso_O?

Hello,

There are several new options in the firewall, as well as several new modes of operation, such as Learning Mode.

Whether the new beta version addresses the specific issues you reported, though, is something that will likely require your participation to investigate.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. sxe

sxe Registered Member

Is Eset v4, have a version updater? or still manual update and download the whole file again?

Kindly add Parental Control.

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Kindly do not.

18. dorgane

dorgane Guest

and no parental control...

For Sysinspector
    there is (on right menu) "export..." but it is *.xml file.

For user newbies why don't add "export in zip file" ?
    or " export zip file and attachement in mail" for directly send at the support ?

thank you.

19. stratoc

stratoc Guest

yup, it's getting bigger again.

20. Eagle2000

Eagle2000 Registered Member

So far so Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
    Very nice work ESET.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The lack of self defense is what has me running Kaspersky more often than not. NOD32 has failed me before due to its lack of it. No, it can't detect everything, but when it misses something and that something shuts it down and proceeds to run wild, then you might as well be running nothing. If the way they are implementing it is bad, then by all means I hope they find a better way, but better self defense is something ESET products must have if I am to continue using them.

I am liking the beta 4 so far. We'll see how things progress.

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

When that thing goes on running wild , you will not care about your antivirus (if it is working or not) because it has already failed . If the antivirus missed a threat no matter if the self-defence will be able to shut the AV down or not , the threat will be missed => resulting in information loss/damage/theft <= this is what will matter .

I will have a trojan + working AV or a trojan + destroyed AV - it will be the same and this doesn't matter

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

will give eset another shot when i get home today on my test machine. i used to love nod 2.x then 3.0 just had way to many issues so i swithced away from eset altogether. hopefully this is as good as it seems though i do NOT like the looks of the way it hooks

24. demonio

demonio Registered Member

Bagle kills ekrn.exe in nod32 v4 in less than 8 seconds:p

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I believe it is because v3 is still registered to the Security Center. I got the same thing, and when I reset the repository, it shows nothing is installed at all. So it does not appear that v4 registers with the Security Center. I'm sure this will be fixed in later builds, but it is definitely broken now.

A quick update on this, now the Security Center shows everything is working correctly. I had it open and all of a sudden everything went green. Strange it would correct itself after several hours...

Another update, after looking more closely, it show version 3.0 is up to date, not version 4.0. So in any case, it is not working correctly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.