Comments For Wilders Ransomware Testors

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by itman, May 11, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

What I am seeing lately is a rash of RDP ransomware infections. Next time you test a third party stand alone solution, enable RDP on your test rig. Make sure RDP ports are open. Test how the solution performs against RDP ransomware.

I note this because most people have RDP disabled on their PCs but many corps. and SMBs have it enabled.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Are they trying to guess UN/PW when attacking or is there any unpatched vulnerability being exploited?

3. itman

itman Registered Member

I so far have seen posts by people getting nailed by Spora and most recently AES-IN by RDP attacks. Also recent Cerber variants. These attacks have bypassed some conventional AV anti-ransomware protections; files were encrypted. Hence my curiosity of how effective the stand-alone anti-ransomware solutions are against brute force RDP attacks.

Again this only applies to situation where RDP is being legitimately enabled by the user.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If brute force is conducted, then setting up proper lockout policy would probably thwart or at least slow down this attacks. Shouldn't that be one of first thing that admin should set when enabling RDP access?

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes it is. People nailed appeared to be somewhat clueless as to how to properly secure for RDP access.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Case in point:
    https://www.scmagazine.com/cyberatt...e-to-order-for-chosen-victims/article/656613/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.