CommandLineScanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mr.X, Feb 15, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

In Win 10, all kernel mode drivers have to be Microsoft signed.

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

No, I had never had cmdScanner installed on this system prior. This was a fresh install of the driver. Extracted, copied cmdscanner.ini and cmdscanner.log to C:\Windows first then followed up by right-clicking the cmdscanner.inf and choosing Install. No issues with installation or logging here on latest Windows 10 with current updates.

Correct, the tray tool does not auto-start by default. Bouncer has a proper installation program that deals with everything, but unfortunately the other drivers do not have installation programs and must be done manually. The main initial users of Florian's drivers have been academics such as educational use within US-CERT over the past year or so, many forensics guys/gals, but also custom built drivers specifically for organizations.

3. WildByDesign

Correct, these are all Microsoft signed and SHA256 signatures since leaving beta stage.

4. guest

guest Guest

To have a better overview, all Excubits-tools can be extracted to C:\Program Files\Excubits\
    Now it looks like this:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Excubits\MemProtect\
    C:\Program Files\Excubits\MZWwriteScanner\
    C:\Program Files\Excubits\CommandLineScanner\
    They are digitally signed from MS ("Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher")

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For autorun, I just create a shortcut and drop it into ths startup folder. Works fine. I do love the way MS has hidden the startup folder

6. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

It doesn't matter who the initial users were. Without documentation explaining the product, these sorts of things are unexpected behaviors - unless a user happens to be a mind reader. Those initial users needed a set of instructions.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Lockdown

Is there a boot-time logging option ?

8. Lockdown

More changes coming. It's like a perpetual game of "hide-and-seek" with WaaS.

9. Peter2150

Hi Jeff

You know how you really have to get your mind wrapped around Appguard. Well guess what. Same thing is true for Florians drivers. Whole new experience. BUT once yu figure it out. Wowser.

10. Lockdown

It's installed. It's working. It's logging. The whitelist is already created. All I need it for is logging - for some testing purposes - like Herr Napster. That initial "no instructions" thingy is a pain - and the install quirk requiring a specific order. Oh well, it's typical dumb stuff that we all run into sooner or later.

LOL... after getting it all sorted out, it might not even give me the results that I am looking for... :argh:

11. Peter2150

Jeff this is the reason you do what you do.

12. WildByDesign

See this portion of the readme.txt file:

13. Lockdown

Yes, I saw it after I posted. Many thanks @WildByDesign .

Actually, Florian's driver does capture boot-time. :thumb: Using Dbg just gives extended infos.

14. WildByDesign

@Lockdown You're welcome, my pleasure. I personally have not used the kernel Dbg to view extended logging information prior but I do recall Florian mentioning to me a while back that it was added to each of his drivers. Do you know if there are any tutorials that I could follow to get started with DbgView for viewing this additional kernel level logging? Thanks!

15. Lockdown

There's stuff scattered online. Using most of it is sort of like I had to do here today with CLS -- slug your way through the mountains to get to the other side.

16. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Wow back in the day when windows always crashed /I used that to see what driver was causing the problem. It has been so long ago, not sure I I remember how to use it anymore.

17. mWave

mWave Guest

I doubt this product can block that because you can bypass static analysis from it very easily and unless it is monitoring API calls it cannot identify the process hollowing attack unless it's for x86 only and uses kernel-mode patching but even then I doubt it'll block dynamic forking.

I can always test it for you on my host/VM and let you know if it was able to block it though.

18. boredog

boredog Registered Member

19. Lockdown

Please PM me a download link when finished.

Fork something more interesting - like TabTip.exe or TaskMgr.exe.

20. Lockdown

Here's the long version of Excubits cmdScanner command lines that should be whitelisted (it will eliminate any cmdScanner lags):

I give the full arguments so you can see for yourself what is happening.

In the form below these command lines will not appear in the Log in the Demo version only.

With the paid product, I assume the cmdScannerDemo will change to cmdScanner - but seeing as the product is a bit unpredictable, perhaps not...

*C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe>*C:\Windows\notepad.exe C:\Windows\cmdScanner.ini*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe>*C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c net start cmdScanner*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe>*C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c net stop cmdScanner*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" restart-driver*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" edit-inifile*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" installmode-on*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" start-driver*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*C:\Windows\notepad.exe C:\Windows\cmdScanner.log*
    *C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe>*C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c sc query cmdScanner*
    *C:\Windows\explorer.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Tray.exe"*
    *C:\Windows\explorer.exe>*"C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE" C:\Windows\cmdscanner.ini*
    *C:\Windows\explorer.exe>*"C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE" C:\Windows\cmdscanner.log*
    *C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" restart-driver*
    *C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" edit-inifile*
    *C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" installmode-on*
    *C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe>*"C:\Program Files\Excubits\cmdScannerDemo\Admin Tool.exe" start-driver*
    *C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe>*C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E}*
    *C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe>*\??\C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe 0xffffffff -ForceV1*
    *C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe>*net start cmdScanner*
    *C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe>*net stop cmdScanner*
    *C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe>*sc query cmdScanner*
    *C:\Windows\SysWOW64\net.exe>*C:\Windows\system32\net1 stop cmdScanner*

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  21. Lockdown

I discovered that during uninstall the catalog remnants must also be deleted before reinstalling.

Florian says that all the processes that show up under Tray.exe in the Task Manager are the result of way he designed the product.

22. co22

co22 Registered Member

not tested this driver for very long time but are you added $ in the beginning of each rules?
    that's make them silent,also note that if you added priority rules sign: ! ,that rules must be top of other rules
    Tray.exe in all other driver have same bad behavior.that's eat system resource and slow down system.i think after each event that loged
    it try re-read and re-write complete log file again.

23. Lockdown

See above.

24. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I got an email from Excubits a few ago:

Fight fileless attacks with Command Line Scanning:

25. WildByDesign

Thanks for pointing to this link, good read. It's good to see that Bouncer (and cmdScanner) can easily mitigate this recent fileless attack which Kaspersky had blogged about. I can see several ways in which Bouncer can mitigate this but also good to see that monitoring and blocking command lines can also provide solid protection. Personally, I whitelist only some common command lines while logging (and blocking) anything out of the ordinary. I assume that MemProtect would also block this. MZWriteScanner, not so much though due to the lack of MZ/PE header.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.