Comet Cursor is back for more.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Mike_Healan, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Last time, Lavasoft ignored them. Just before I quit, I strongly urged them to deal with them this time, but I have a feeling they won't.

I think CC needs to be put through the wringer again. I have my doubts about whether LS is gonna do it, and I don't know enough about it not to make a mess of it. Any takers?

This would be as good a time as any to grill them if anyone has questions for them if nothing else.

http://www.lavasoft.nu/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=87

2. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi,

AdAware takes care of Comet Cursor !

Rgds,

JacK

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Yes Jack it does, but that's not really the point.
    These guys are showing up at LS pretending they really don't know why they are being targeted. After all they are nice guys, with a nice product and don't quite understand why LS won't remove them from the list !
    Yeah right ;)
    They are trying to sweetalk themselves out of targeting the same way Iamabile did with NewNet, another parasite !

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, it is a forum where anyone can post,.

But do you think there's a real danger that Lavasoft will change their attitude, and declare that Comet Cursor have mended their ways and are now suddenly the best thing since sliced bread?

5. MickeyTheMan

I sure hope not !
    But then again, look at what happen with NewNet !
    This one may not call home, but a program that writes in your registry just for the sake of sending you to a web page deserves to be targeted for that fact alone !
    It's sneaky and installed by some of the worst snake around. Have you seen the NewNet's list of partners ? It's scary !

A topic had been started on Comet Cursor over 2 months ago, and no one from LS ever took part in it.
    Will they this time ? Your guess is as good as mine.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I haven't been involved or keeping up, but maybe Lavasoft is just ignoring them because it's not worth arguing when they know that Comet Cursor is fulla (insert explicative of choise here)?

7. TonyKlein

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but if the Lavasoft team give in to CC, their credibility will be gone forever.

The news will spread like wildfire, and they'll have real trouble selling their products.

I hope they realize that.

8. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

So what's the next best package to Adaware? Is there one, and is it time to switch, or get GRC to restart its original anti-spyware program?

9. TonyKlein

Spybot - Search & Destroy: http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html

But let's not switch just yet.

I use the two in tandem, and they sure make a great team.

10. Mike_Healan

Comet Cursor has been scum for years. CC is the reason I'm in this community in the first place. My first week on the internet, I was confronted with a ZoneAlarm prompt asking for permission to let My Comet Cursor phone home.
    That said, what if they have changed? They claims that it no longer installs without prompting, regardless of security. That was my biggest gripe with it. They still have a GUID, but if they can change the installation they can remove the GUID.
    They could be blowing smoke about wanting to change, but what if they're not? What is the purpose of our movement if not to get these companies to realize that people won't tolerate spyware, and for them to stop producing it? If they're willing to make changes to their software to come off the target lists, let's tell them what they'll need to change.
    Remember DLExpert? V 0.92 had spyware. After complaints, the spyware was removed and the product is now freeware, not adware/spyware. Ask for a download manager recommendation on any of these message boards and that one will likely be mentioned, even though most of us know it used to be spyware.

11. MickeyTheMan

Scums ? Oh Yeah, there are plenty around. Just looking at my Spyblocker's log once in a while tells me the whole story !

12. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Mike, please forgive my ignorance in this area of spyware and all. Could you explain to me what exactly comet cursor should do and change in order to be an acceptable site and not as it has been portrayed in the past (even though the protrayal of bad site in the past seems quite justified to me)? bob

Please explain it where someone with little knowledge could understand.

13. snowy

snowy Guest

By Mickey The Man:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scums ? Oh Yeah, there are plenty around. Just looking at my Spyblocker's log once in a while tells me the whole story !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mickey

Ever so true.......glad to see others are noticing this to....
    appearantly both the intelligence and capability of privacy advocates is being greatly under-estimated......

as everyone already knows.......a snake can shed its skin...but it can't change it's nature.....an remains a snake.

as for comet cursor......seeking a discussion platform could well be seen as an act of desperation...........
    just try explaining to a minor child what a unique identifier is.

snowman

14. snowy

snowy Guest

Just a thought.......has anyone considered if just perhaps there are legal reasons why comet cursor can not be forcefully installed.........an just maybe its a nothing more than comet cursor protecting itself from liability?? There are lots of new laws of recent.

15. snowman

snowman Guest

say folks...I made a few new rules....an just want to touch base with someone here to make certain the problem is on my end..........I can not access the link Mike posted....was able to do so yesterday but not today....can everyone else get to that site ?

thanks

snowman

16. MickeyTheMan

The problem is not at your end.
    Site is down again. There as been a lot of that in the past few months ! ;)

17. Mike_Healan

The lavasoft.nu server seems to be AWOL at the moment. It does that every now and then.

Pretender,

CC claims to be something to make pretty mouse cursors on affiliate web sites. For billing purposes, the copy of CC the user is running must send them the URL of the affiliate site.

They need to lose the GUID, period. Considering that the software sends them the URLs of partner sites the user lands on, a GUID is a very bad idea. They need to make absolutely sure that there is no way to identify a particular copy of CC. Considering that they are considered spyware by almost everyone, this is not unreasonable.

They claim they've fixed the autoinstall. If they can make it a "Click here to download Comet Cursor" sort of thing, where there is no possibility of "accidently" installing it, that answers my biggest gripe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on their side by any means, but I'm in this to stop spyware. If we can get another company to change its ways and be rid of another piece of spyware, let's do it.

DLExpert stopped using spyware. Transponder/VX2 is still around, but it's basically dead. Conducent disappeared mysteriously. Gator is being sued by some of the largest richest corporations on Earth and has been ordered to stop serving ads on their web sites.

As bad as it is for technological innovation, the courts are forcing the file swappers out of business, and then how will the spyware companies distribute themselves without the hundreds of millions of downloads of KaZaa?

I think we're winning. Let's knock over another one while we have the chance.

18. snowy

snowy Guest

Mickey

thank you , sir......was wondering what I had did to prevent it from loading LOL

snowman

19. snowy

snowy Guest

Mike

on a personal note I have always felt you to be a fair minded person........an I can well understand where you are coming from on cc.....
    however..some points of question...will cc distroy all the former information it leeched from un-knowing victims.....if their claim to turning a new leaf is sincere that would be the first order of business.....an sworn statements to this effect published publically.
    what safety measures will be in the "new" comet cursor to prevent children from downloading and installing it?
    but perhaps more important.....what degree of mercy did comet cursor show its victims all these years.........an from their own actions let them be judged.
    second chance..did comet cursor give their victims a second chance? repent and be holy on the part of comet cursor reminds me of a snake laying in the snow nearly frozen....carry it home..place it near the warm fireplace..feed it tenderly.......an as soon as it regains its strenght it will bite you.
    far better to let nature take its course.

respectfully
    snowman

20. snowy

snowy Guest

good golly miss molly......what about all those "bad" comet cursors still out there.......they are not going to just "puff" and disappear in a cloud of smoke.....
    so..okay..comet cursor issues a "new" comet cursor....an the "old" comet cursor continues doing its dasterly deed but now comsumers have no way of removing it once comet cursor is no longer targeted........new leaf huh....or new skin on an old snake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.