Comet Cursor Counting Down

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Pretender, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,52985,00.html

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I read the article from Wired on Comet Cursor. They can moan and groan all they like about Lavasoft but the bottom line is they were not forthright, not honest about everything their software did. They were not forthcoming and now they're paying the price for their stupidity. It's too late for them now. They can never recoup what they have lost. This appears to be an act of gross negligence on their part. I wonder though. Can "legitimately" losing $20 million be used as a tax write-off? I'm suspicious because I once worked for a company that worked hard at spinning their wheels so they could write-off large amounts of money through loss of business. All they had to do was look like they had tried hard. Their investors wanted to write-off their losses on their taxes. (They were foreign investors but all related to each other.) I suspect the (Comet Cursor) company will very quietly fold in the near future.

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

What a great article! I seldom allow myself to derive pleasure from other people's misfortune, but I'll make an exception this time.

"Boo-Hoo-Hoo, everone hates us. AW-Boo-Hoo-Hoo. We're not that bad really, waaaaaaaa-hhaaaaaaaa. Its not fair! sniff-sniff HONK-HONK. We lost $20 million and can't get off the black-list!"

funny sh!t.

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Never mind that, Uni - there's an incoming call from Henry Kissinger!  He desparately needs help from someone like you, with even greater diplomatic skills than he's got!

5. snowman

snowman Guest

after reading the comments made by both of the owners of comet..it appears as nothing more than a pile of garbage...........

they blame the low settings in internet explorer for forced downloads of comet.....then pretend to be ever so nice by saying where the settings can be found.....but absolutely fail to mention "the correct" place in the settings of internet explorer that once properly set will prevent  comet from being forcefully installed.......... further  mis-leading they mention the term "low" settings......what hogwash!   the entire referance to internet explorer was mis-leading......most users would have no idea where to look or what to look for..........an the owners sure  didn't tell them.

they talk about company financial loss.....perhaps it would be interesting to see their personal financial standing......enron went bankrupt...but the big players still had several hundred million dollars.....so what were the salaries of the owners of comet....

the owners further admit to re-directing traffic (users) to websites that comet makes money from....they further admit to "profiling" users of comet for services etc...........is the ip address of users logged?
        oh an how nice that the owners of comet provides an un-installer for the comet cursor.....considering the fact that comet was in many cases forcefully installed to begin with without the permission or knowledge of the computer owner.....somehow the un-installer does not appear as a real gift.  
        but of course the owners of comet want an opportunity to explain...dud.....it took from 1998 to 2002 for the owners to decide they needed to offer an explanation...during all those years why didn't the owners of comet feel the public deserved an explanation ?  only when it servers their personal goals do the owners of comet offer their version of an explanation.......an explanation that only proves that comet is what comet is an comet does what comet does.

snowman

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Sometimes I think we're wasting our breath.  The vast majority of users wouldn't acknowledge software as a threat even if it broke into their houses at night and poisoned their cheese and milk.  (sigh)

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

What's even funnier is how they could have gone through $20 million bucks, only got back $200 thousand - and stayed in business for more than five minutes to start with!

I'm quite sure there's a 'logical' explanation for that, though (<g>) . Perhaps they applied for and got a 'non-profit' status for tax purposes? Pete

8. Pretender

I'd like to think that all of their mistakes were honest mistakes, but.........and to top it off..........I was one of those that had the comet cursor software forced on an old computer I had and internet explorer was not being used. Oh welllllllllll
    :-/ :oops: :'( :eek:

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

To put it bluntly, I barf on Comet.

10. Bouch

Bouch Registered Member

Well, I see that Unicron is still experiencing problems candidly sharing his true feelings on issues. This fellow Rosen must really think that we're just a bunch of gullible hicks to feed us a crock like that and expect us to give it any credibility at all. I'm right behind Detox in the barf line ... something else that will likely stretch from sea to sea.  

11. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

I BROUGHT  Comet Cursor 's FOR EVERY ONE =)

looky there neat come on guys hey why is every one runing and  diving threw bushes as i approch them?

12. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lollllllllllllllll

13. Pretender

hmmmmmmmmmmmmo_Oo_Oo_O??

:rolleyes: came across this after trying to help someone on another site:

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/8/lev3/57/pid/538/qid/221627

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.