Comcast internet modem, phone modem, wifi router all in one versus separate router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roark37, Mar 9, 2015.

1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Certainly true. Further, the OP never did respond to the triple play query, which was mentioned in the first post. In that event, none of these suggestions will work since they will need a telephony modem.

2. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I have this put off for another month anyway as I got Comcast to give me a large credit this month to get more time. The issue is I don't want the phone but they refuse so far to give me a deal on just cable/internet like I had before. I am willing to pay for the triple play deal price of 159 for just two but they claim although I don't have to connect phone I will be charged a $10 fee for it each month and that is the problem. Anyway I am not sure what I will do but I have a few more weeks anyway. I do plan to get the Doccix 3.0 modem soon and make that and a new router change anyway. But buying telephony modem that is compatible did not seem quite as easy to find as internet modem. If I did lease telephony modem only from Comcast does that device broadcast hotspot or anything else like their all in one that is a privacy risk? Because I want no part of that. Comcast tells me that the telephony modem can be added simply by connecting to any existing cable outlet and will not impact cable or internet at all. Is that actually true? Thanks again.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if you lease the one from comcast it will broadcast a hotspot but if you demand they shut off the wifi hotspot they will but it will take some effort i can tell you that. if it were me i would 100% tell them to shut it off. regardless YOU are paying for your bandwidth why should anyone else be able to use that bandwidth YOU pay for unless you allow them to? and yes you can add a telephony later if you want. as well there are aftermarket telephony modems available also if you did still want to go aftermarket.

4. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Motorola Company was purchased by Google some time ago but Google decided to sell off the Modem manufacturing division so it is now Arris/Motorola.

What was said just a little above is that the DOCSIS 3.0 is only part of the specifications that are important. As was said above it is recommended to get at least an (8X4) modem and a highly recommended one is the Arris/Motorola SURFboard SB6141 as you have mentioned. The difference is the potential speed the modem can accommodate. If at some future time you would want to move to a faster speed the speed will be limited by the modem and not what you pay. Only the Arris/Motorola SURFboard SB6183 (16X4) is recommended above the 6141 as far as the Arris/Motorola are concerned. The (8X4) can handle speeds around 300mb/s and the (16X4) can handle over 680mb/s (theoretical). DOCSIS 3.0 is 8X faster than DOCSIS 2.0.

In case one may think they would not want or need that fast consider that cable is on the neighborhood line and if it is a time when others are downloading movies etc. then the available bandwidth is limited so by having a (16X4) one should have a better go at things during those times. Just something to keep in mind. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

After getting your new router just try the DOCSIS 2.0 modem that you currently own and see how it goes. You can easily obtain a faster modem in the future but the prices are maintaining at or above full retail for these two mentioned above.

Lastly - multiply the cost of leasing/renting the equipment from Comcast and see how soon the lease/rent price exceeds the actual cost of owning your own.

Best wishes

5. prius04

It's difficult because there is really only one that is worth buying; the Arris TM822. It's not cheap (~$135) and you have to make sure you get the Comcast model (TM822G/CT) or they won't be able to provision it.

In any event, if you decide to rent a telephony wireless gateway from Comcast, see if you can get the Cisco 3941T. It's relatively new and is probably the best Comcast offers; 24x4 modem and dual-band wireless with excellent range according to reports (the Cisco 3939 is also supposed to be decent). I would steer well clear of the Arris TG862G since I was renting one and the wireless range was pathetic.

Of course, you can always rent a telephony modem from Comcast and use your own separate router (maybe the best bet if you make extensive use of WiFi).

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

A vanilla modem or telephony modem will lack the WiFi components and therefore it won't be able to support such a hotspot. Your devices will be interfacing with your router instead of the modem, which eliminates other concerns.

If you intend to lease a new modem or telephony modem, make sure that is what you actually get (and they don't give you an all in one unit instead).

7. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Okay I am a little unclear on the answers. Assuming I get a new Doccix 3 internet modem and new router and then may also get a separate telephony modem for the phone. The separate telephony modem does not broadcast a wifi hotspot like the all in one, correct? And it makes no difference if that separate telephony modem I own or lease from Comcast, also correct? That is what I thought and it seems most of the answers are saying that but just want to be sure. And Comcast told me over the phone that adding a separate telephony modem could be added to any cable outlet in the house and I specifically asked about it being in a different room(and floor) from the internet modem & router and was told that is fine as it is completely separate. Is that actually true as I did not think the separate telephony modem has any contact or interaction with the router at all and would not even know what the wifi is. Do I have that right? Comcast said separate telephony modem only need to simply connect to the cable outlet and once activated with I think a call to Comcast then ready to go. Is it actually that easy? I currently have the old fashioned Verizon phone service(not Fios) but can all the phones I currently use, even the hard wired one like in the kitchen attached to wall also be used with the Comcast phone service? Thanks again for all the help.

8. TheWindBringeth

A telephony modem (or all-in-one) can be connected to existing telephone wiring so that hard wired phones around the house will work. That involves isolating your home telephone wiring from your current provider then connecting the telephony modem (or all-in-one) to your wiring. Some DIYers research what needs to be done and complete the work themselves. However, it is typically recommended that a professional perform such work. Especially if there is an alarm system and/or other special equipment connected to the phone lines.

If you want phone service and a telephony modem, I'd suggest: try to lease the telephony modem from Comcast, have them do the installation for you including hooking it up to your telephone wiring, and use it for awhile. If any issues crop up you'll have Comcast to fall back on. If somewhere down the road you want to buy your own, it will drop into a wiring environment that has been proven.

You'll have to ask Comcast if keeping your existing telephone number is an option, and decide whether or not that is what you want to do.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  9. zfactor

as long as you do not use the one given by comcast it will not broadcast the open wifi

10. TheWindBringeth

I don't think "the one from Comcast" is helpful, because it is non-specific and we're talking about different types of devices. A modem is just a modem, and doesn't support WiFi at all. A telephony modem is just a telephony modem, and doesn't support WiFi at all. OP could acquire a modem, or a telephony modem, from Comcast and not have to worry about the open WiFi.

Unfortunately, some people use the word modem when talking about combo devices that include an integrated modem. Lets try very hard not to do that.

Based on what I've been reading and hearing, I think Comcast is still making modems and telephony modems available to customers in at least some locations(1). If you really want to be sure of what you can and will get, you should go to the local office and ask them what they have available. If they have what you want, walk out with it. To avoid "mailed me the wrong one"... "had the wrong one in the truck"... "limited supply" problems.

(1) Has anyone checked with their local office recently and found modems and/or telephony modems were unavailable?

11. zfactor

sorry i was speaking of the all in one device. i should have specified that i was responding quickly on my phone. ill then answer it this way if you obtain something from comcast directly that has the wifi built in whether an all in one or just the wifi / router you will have the extra ssid being broadcasted. if you get just their modem and use your own device for wifi then no you will not have the extra ssid.

12. prius04

Based upon the reports I have read and my own experience, it appears to vary widely.

Re my local office: If you walk in and request a "rental modem for HSI", they're going to shove an Arris TG862G in your face; it doesn't seem to matter in the least whether or not you have Xfinity Voice and/or don't need wireless because you plan to use your own router (or plan to use ethernet exclusively). If you insist on one of the newer devices, like the Cisco DPC3939, they will tell you they only provide that device to X1 customers. Ask for the newest device, the Cisco DPC3941T, and the rep won't have any idea what you're talking about or, depending on the rep, will tell you the device has yet to be released (which is just plain false).

Having written the foregoing, I believe any Comcast customer who has Xfinity Voice should be able to get an Arris TM822G, which I believe is pretty much a TG862G sans wireless.

13. zfactor

i can tell you for sure that one problem is many will tell you they dont have them because they want to sell you the full service. i know a manager locally at a comcast store and was told this first hand. this and as prius said many have zero idea what you are talking about. heck even with verizon when i call tech support i usually tell them what i need them to do right off the bat (i know how their systems work). then they say wow nice to have someone we dont have to troubleshoot lol.

14. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

:( Contrary to other reports mentioned earlier in this thread, according to ExtremeTech these “xfinitywifi” hotspots (at least in the Houston, Texas area) allow "two one-hour sessions per month to anyone, or unlimited access to other Comcast customers."

So you were right, zfactor - my apologies! So that just emphasizes my belief and recommendation to buy your own and don't use any provided by or rented from your ISP.

If you need another reason, see At least 700,000 routers ISPs gave to customers vulnerable to hacking.

15. peterr3

peterr3 Registered Member

I read the whole thread. I picked up where it was said,"Comcast does not support bridge."
    I need help here. I used to click on bridge mode at the Comcast gateway's router which is also a modem.
    I then called Comcast for a signal because clicking bridge mode alone seemed to never work by itself. Then after the refresh signal I could use my own router.
    Well the old router is no good anymore so I am getting a new one. I have been using their gateway with modem and router.
    It has been a couple of years but I found my setup infiltrated when I entered 10.0.0.1 - the password was by passed and my key was visible. Even after setting it up again, the key is visible if you get by the password. I think Comcast can see my side or my key.
    Either that or I was hacked.
    So my question is, if I get my pwn router, click enable bridge on the Comcast router will they still send a signal to allow me to enable bridge and use my own new router? Or did you mean they just won't assist with bridge.
    I need the gateway because I have the phone,TV,and PC . With the triple play I cannot just use a modem - I need the RJ45 for the phone to go from digital to analog.
    BTW, my old router did not support bridge but it still worked so if I get a new one do I need bridge now or will it still work as the old one used to do?
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.