Collusion for Chrome extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by m00nbl00d, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I haven't tried it. I just found it seconds ago. I figured someone would like to know about it.

-https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ganlifbpkcplnldliibcbegplfmcfigp/details

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll give Collusion another look when it's more refined and allows for white lists.

Okay, this Collusion isn't a port of the other Collusion and so may be worth looking at. It's by the disconnect guy.

Edit:
    My hasty assessment is that it's better than the Moz one that we discussed some weeks ago. I've uninstalled that one and don't know if it's been improved.

Edit:
    But I couldn't find the export as text option.
    And I couldn't "printscreen" the easy way. I'll try with a time delay.
    I pulled the stuff apart to reduce overlaps.
    It's less CPU-intensive than the Fx one, IMO.
    And removing the sidebar lets you spread things out better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thanks for sharing!

On a side note, there are actually two built-in features in Chromium/Chrome, that users may find useful to also help figure out third-party connections.

chrome://net-internals/#dns and chrome://net-internals/#events

Open them both, if you'd like, then open a website. For instance, try -https://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-exactly-do-you-get-with-windows-8-pro/4817

You should see communications (among others) to domains, in chrome://net-internals/#dns, like:

adlog.com.com IPV4 error: -105 (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
    bs.serving-sys.com IPV4 error: -105 (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)

I'm blocking those, which is why it results in that error message.

-edit-

It seems that Collusion uses an internal/local database of known trackers, so it may be limited to what it knows. Not sure if it may use regular expressions? I still haven't tried, so no idea; I'm still experimenting with Nimi Cleanser. :D

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I never thought of that! But could it be ~/Default/Extensions/ganlifbpkcplnldliibcbegplfmcfigp/1.3.0_0/trackers.json ?

I will take a look at the Chrome internal pages as well. Previously, I just relied on about:cache.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My guess is that the internal database is used for classifying by color-coding but doesn't limit the connections shown.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just tried it.

it now blocks trackers but not enough of them.

oh, it identifies a whole bunch of things but it is very generous about what it leaves unblocked.

it's a nice tool for information but for blocking it's better to use Ghostery or something similar.

7. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

I'm still using Disconnect... Collusion sounds like a great idea but I think it's going to take a while to grow feature wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.