Cold-Imaging Competition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Aaron Here, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup its a shame companies act like this even if it was the trial you are a potential customer. and for that matter they dont know if you will end up buying one or maybe a hundred copies.... any company in business today imo need to treat every customer with the utmost time and care especially with today's economy and their need to survive as software is a very (imo) competitive business to be in. this is my experience of late with macrium as well and its a shame since both sp and macrium have a great program.

so far for me i think the best service has come from terabyte as they have answered every email very timely and always have a answer and if not they always get back to me. i was even offered a free version of aip from one of the reps for them in the usa if i would do a small review and test out the product to which i have the review and test results for them ready.... well that was almost a month ago and now i never heard back...not cool.

2. layman

layman Registered Member

I used to have a gorgeous, custom made Velocity Micro machine on which I had problems with corrupted disk images. Through careful monitoring, I discovered that the problem was dropped bits. I ran diagnostics on the machine for days on end without a failure of any type occurring, but I could turn around and copy a large file on the machine only to find it missing a single bit. It was a nightmare and I finally had to ditch the computer. Since disk diagnostics were perfectly clean, I suspected a bad mother board or bad memory, even though diagnostics turned up no problems with these either. I had a hunch that memory was the culprit and that somehow cache memory was masking the problem from the diagnostics. For my money, non-parity memory is a bad risk. Though memory nowadays is generally reliable, the problems that occur with the rare exception are almost impossible to trouble-shoot.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@layman,

yeah, it still could be RAM or another hardware issue, I suppose, but IFW is the only imaging app that has given me such serious problems on this machine. I can't justify replacing RAM in an effort to get just one app to work properly, especially when I have other solutions that do the job perfectly. Besides, the RAM I'm using is really difficult to replace with anything currently available that matches its outstanding specs.

4. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

wat0114, the RAM you have, has a lifetime warranty? If you can find a way to prove that something is wrong, you can very easily replace it. Bad RAM can get even more bad as the time goes on, so if I were you, I'd try to fix it immediaetly.

Sorry for the off-topic.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yeah, and the OT wandering is really my fault. Sorry :oops: I bought the pc used off my brother, and the company he bought it from (Voodoo PC) was recently bought by HP, although that should probably not be cause to void the warranty. I'm not so sure he has the original sales receipt any more. I have a copy he gave me.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sadly the hdd and mobo i was using in the system i was storing my images on died on me. so i have to start testing all over again. i will get to work on this once again and apologize for the delay work has been so crazy i have yet to get a chance to fix the machine i was using for testing. the motherboard had a nasty failure and took the hdd and ram it seems with it.. which sucks... luckily everything was under warranty so im now going to rebuild once i get the parts back in..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.