CNET logic?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by swisscoms, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

CNET test the new Tiny 3 and Sygate Pro 5 firewall. Reading the Sygate review which they gave an 8 out 10 they complain it does not match the Tiny offering for features. In the Tiny review they complain about a confusing lack of features and give it a 7 out of 10. Now that's logic! :D

2. controler

controler Guest

Hi swisscoms

That is why you should come to Wilders Forums for info and not CNET
    We give a fair and balanced report here ;)

3. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Hi controller, yes, you are right about Wilder's. An excellent source of information and great people to converse with. I forgot to post the the link to CNET by the way. Here it is, http://www.cnet.com/software/0-352108-8-20017782-1.html?tag=ld Regards, Peter.

4. root

root Registered Member

I used to rely heavily on information from CNET and ZDNet both. Over the years though, I have noticed that the have become so much like the paper magazines. They employ less than professional professionals to give mediocre reports on products, heavily influenced by factors such as money from advertising, looks, popularity, and needless frills. They would undoubtably vote McDonalds as best hamburger and not even include such products as Steak and Shake and Fudruckers.
    Needless to say, I no longer have ZDNet or CNET bookmarked.
    ZoneAlarm has undoubtably become the McDonalds of Firewalls. :D
    Sorry Checkout. :-*

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

LOL

6. GA

GA Registered Member

I think you misinterpreted that review a little. It complained of a lack of preconfigured settings and confusing questions such as "spawning" etc. The logic of the review does not seem to be off. I have been using TPF3 for a while now, and it is the most secure firewall (because of the sandbox) that I have used. I have also used the older tiny firewall as well as, sygate, sygate pro, za, za pro, kerio, outpost and outpost pro. Tiny 3 is more difficult to use, but with my system, it is the most stable of the bunch.GA ;)

7. GA

GA Registered Member

Sites like CNET and ZDNET can be valuable to one when it comes time to purchase software or equipment. Their pros may or may not give a true representation of a product, but the many, many reviews sent in by users who purchased or use products can be valuable. I recently used user reviews from those two sites as a basis for purchasing a digital camera and was very pleased with the results.
    If you ask 5 different people which firewall they like best (provided they know what a firewall is) you may get 5 different answers; and they are all right for themselves. But when you have hundreds or thousands of people picking a certain firewall, you may be tempted to try that one for yourself, to see if you will be one of the crowd or go your own way.GA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.