CNET....Go Away!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! Yeah, there's that. ;)

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And there's a direct download link just below.
    It's obscured by that popup in your screenshot, but it's there.
    Mrk

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I was in CNET web site and clicked Download. The computer immediately went nuts. First time since 1997. :p

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There are two big problems with a large download site like download.com in my opinion.

Firstly, they have way to many programs on there. It would be much better if they only listed programs which are really good at what they do, rather than having tens of programs which do the same thing.

A good example of the ridiculously large amount of downloads they have is that I just did a search for "registry cleaner" at download.com , and got 390 results! Now, I'm not advocating the use of registry cleaners - I just thought this would be a good item to do a search for.

Secondly, I think there is a need to have more download categories, e.g. a category just for driver update software, and it would be good to keep signature updates for security software seperate from programs themselves, so you can actullay browse just the security software rather than having it hidden amongts lots of definition updates.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As already stated here, I think that software companies should have their own download page to sell their stuff instead of farming it out to download sites. o_O

7. roger_m

But having download sites make it easier to find software.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They earn more money and use less resources as well.

9. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I'm gonna avoid CrapNet like the plague from now on. Yesterday I made the mistake of downloading PolyEdit Lite from there and it installed something called StrongVault Web Backup. There were options to opt out of some toolbar they're pushing, but no opt out at all for StrongVault, or not obvious anyway, I might have missed it. I spent all afternoon trying to uninstall the stupid thing and clean up after it. Finally got rid of it with Revo. I doubt they'll be in business much longer at this rate.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry to hear that :thumbd:

Though they have done this for quite a while now, so it might take a bit longer than we think. Since I guess that the majority of the Cnet users, don't know about it, don't really care, or simply don't want to use anything else unfortunately :(

11. roger_m

You should have used the Direct Download Link.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha :D The big question is how many uses it? How many does even know that it exists? :)

No offense roger_m I didn't laugh at you but at your funny comment, it's like:

""Oh i'm so sorry to hear that. You see if you don't want PUPs/PUAs you should have used the direct download link it's a shame that you didn't figure that out."" :thumb:

13. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I'll be different - and hope that Cnet doesn't go away!

I enjoy reading many of the user comments on various programs – I find many of the 'rants' by disgruntled users rather hilarious. What other download site can you visit and have a laugh at the same time?

As for their installers with crapware – I think that Cnet is an excellent 'training' site for those who are click happy! If a user continually ends up installing stuff they never wanted – surely, sooner or later, they will wake up to the fact that they need to actually LOOK at what they are allowing to be installed!
    And if they don't? - well too bad! – those who don't wish to learn – won't!

In any case, I don't see what all the fuss is about – all us Wilders people know what Cnet is about don't we?
    None of us are click happy – right? :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  14. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I'm well aware of what I sould and should not click, if you read some of my replies, then you can clearly see why I started the thread.

Its the concern for others that I'm worried about.

I'm sure you know of someone that isn't well aware Ma, Pa, Grandmother, Grandfather, Aunt, Friend, etc., that can make the mistake of downloading the wrong thing.

This is why I think CNET should consider everyone, instead of just considering the well aware.

15. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I understand what you're saying – my point is that the net is one very big 'learning' experience.

Many of your 'Ma, Pa, Grandmother, Grandfather, Aunt, Friend, etc' will probably do a search for a particular program – and simply select the first site they see – and download without the slightest knowledge of the site.
    At least CNET is reasonably 'safe' and you're unlikely to get malware with the download.

And remember – these same people likely accept the 'bloatware' that comes with the purchase of a new computer – so some addon 'toolbar', whatever, that may come with a CNET installer may, or may not be of some use – and in any case, can be easily uninstalled. (and that too, is a good learning experience!) ;)

16. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I don't trust CNET at all- especially following the most recent scandal.
    They've proven that their integrity is for sale and following that, why would anyone trust them ?
    Luckily, there have been and still are various websites where software can be reviewed and downloaded without the BS.

CNET, in it's present incarnation, is irrelevant and even dangerous. I hope they go out of business or are bought out by someone or some company who believes in honest reporting.

Maybe, too much to hope for.

17. roger_m

Well they usually do, which is good in theory. But, it quite common to have advertising on download pages, and with some of the pictures adds having a download button - it is quite easy for a less experienced user to end up downloading the product being advertised, not the one they really want.

For example - and this is a text add:
    This is on the home page of rarsoft.com - home of the WinRAR achiver. There are two download links below the above text, which link to Uniblue to download SpeedUpMyPC. Even though it says it is an add, one could very easily confusie it with being the download link for WinRAR.

18. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Not really sure how you managed to install StrongVault from cnet download because I had a go and despite my best efforts I couldn't manage it.

First time I declined everything except for PolyEdit. Declining was easy because there were big buttons with Decline written on them. Ignoring the toolbar was easy too because half of the window was dedicated to saying a toolbar would be installed and so I unticked the tickboxes.

Second time I accepted everything and installed along with PolyEdit , iminent, mixidjtoolbar and wajam. All the programmes uninstalled without problem. I never managed to find StrongVault though.

Are you sure it came with the PolyEdit lite download?

19. wannabetechie

wannabetechie Registered Member

What do you think about Wajam? I just installed it in hopes it would enable me to open a zip file and can't get it to work. I'm so computer challenged I can't even open a zip file! Sucks. Can you help me? I'm using Windows 7. Thanks Wannabetechie

20. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

For a zip file I would recommend 7Zip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.