cluster size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by f123, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f123

f123 Guest

Am using True Image 6 server. Is it possible to prevent this program from converting the cluster size from 2K to 4K? The original image file was created in a FAT32 with 2K cluster but the restored image defaults to 4K cluster.

TIA,
    F.

2. me75006

me75006 Registered Member

are you restoring to a drive size which is larger than the drive from which the image was created ? ie: you created an image from a 15mb drive and are now restoring to a 40 mb drive.

3. f123

f123 Guest

Same partition/same size. Have not encountered any problem with Drive Image 5. Actually, Acronis will show that it is going to convert the 2K cluster to 4K cluster prior to restoring the image file. There is NO option to undo this from the Acronis menu.

F.

4. f123

f123 Guest

Encounted identical problem with TI 7 server, build 613. The original image file was created with a FAT32 2K cluster partition. After restoring this image file to the same partition, the partition became a FAT32 4K cluster. Just prior to restoring the image file, TI 7 indicated that it is going to convert the 2K cluster partition to 4K. There is NO option to keep the original cluster size of 2K.

The purpose of an imaging software is to restore the data, without ANY modification. TI SHOULD NOT automatically converts everything to the default 4K cluster! I have e-mailed this problem to Acronis support, but have not received any feedback. Perhaps others on this board can provide an alternate solution.

Drive Image 5 may be slower, but it does what it is supposed to do, IMAGED and RESTORED data...without altering the cluster size.

5. f123

f123 Guest

Received a response for Acronis. TI automatically sets the "optimum" cluster size when restoring the image file to save hard disc space.

That sounds fine, but some users want to run the partition other than the recommended setting. In my case, my WXP C primary partition is only 699MB. Therefore, the use of 2K cluster will provide less cluster waste than the DEFAULT 4K cluster. Acronis should include an option during the recovery process to allow the user to override the recommended cluster size.

F.

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Send them an email clearly requesting it. Product Manager missed the boat on a lot of things.

7. f123

f123 Guest

I did. Just received a response indicating that the company MAY incorporate this feature in future version. Funny how this major problem was overlooked all these years.

8. kds2012

kds2012 Guest

Re: cluster size & TI

Hey I can't believe someone else has this same problem w/ Acronis True Image... It drove me nuts that TI ALWAYS RESIZED my clusters. I've weeded my XP Home C:\ partition down to a lean & mean 375 MB. Even with a lot of software & a large pagefile, I still only need a 750 MB partition. So, I figure a 2K, or even 1K cluster size is what I want... I can set this w/ Partition Expert, & True Image will save the cluster size I have chosen, but it always gets Restored to 4K! I have written Acronis, but no word yet (as of 11-04). I KNOW a smaller cluster size would save me several MB of wasted disk space, because I directly compared it to a 4K configuration. That's all just venting.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: cluster size & TI

Hello all,

We do have an enhancement to make an option to set the cluster size manually. It will be included in the future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.