CloudFogger, Dropbox, Skydrive .....

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by aladdin, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

CloudFogger, Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive and Others

Secure File Encryption
    for Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive and Others

You love the cloud? With Cloudfogger you don't have to worry
    about your privacy, your provider or lost devices any more.
    Cloudfogger secures your files and you're in control, no matter where you keep your files.

With Cloudfogger you keep control over who has access to your data.

http://www.cloudfogger.com/en/home/index.aspx

I am testing it right now and it seems to be excellent!

Best regards,

KOR!

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Does it slow down or inconvenience the use of Dropbox or whichever cloud program you are using with it?

3. aladdin

Hi Pagenn,

On reboot is creates a virtual drive X (default) or whatever drive you want it to be and decrypts for you the files you have stored in cloud, which in my case is Dropbox, so that you can use the decrypted files in your computer.

The reboot process doesn't take longer, however setting up the virtual drive X and decrypting all the files takes about 30 to 60 seconds, based on the amount of files you have encrypted with CloudFogger.

To give you an example, I have both RoboForm and Sticky Password programs, which starts with computer reboot. Both of them will tell me that files directory is not found for 30 seconds, and afterwards it will find the files once they are decrypted in drive X. Of course, the file location should be changed to drive X.

So for both, RoboForm and Sticky Password, I decided not to encrypt the files as they are already encrypted and already password protected.

I have been using it for 15 days now and I am very happy with it.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Thanks for the report, but I'm still a little unclear. Is it mainly to encrypt small specific files, or would it work well if I applied it to all my dropbox contents?

For example, I like to keep my primary work files (~1gb worth of documents, spreadsheets, pdfs, etc.) in dropbox. I'd like some extra security for them, but I don't want to encrypt them in a rar-archive, for example, because making changes to such a file would be inconvenient (I just want to sync-copy them from one folder to another to update files I've changed or added), and also then dropbox would have to re-upload the whole 1 gb archive rather than just the one document inside it that had changed. Would CloudFogger solve this problem?

I personally use KeePass 2 for password storage (with KeeFox plugin for Firefox to auto-fill passwords), and I also keep my password file in dropbox. In addition to an easy (quick to type) password, I use a key file that is not in dropbox. To open the password file you have to type in a password and the key file has to be present. That way my password file would be almost impossible to crack even if someone hacked my dropbox account (unless they also obtained my key file from another source), yet I don't have to give up the convenience of a quick type-in password. Key files are worth looking into if Roboform and/or Sticky Password support them.

5. aladdin

CloudFogger creates a sub-directory in the Dropbox folder. Any files and/or sub-directories (lots of files within) you want to be sent to Dropbox encrypted, then you move them to the CloudFogger sub-directory in Dropbox. They will be now encrypted and sent to Dropbox as encrypted files.

What CloudFogger will do now, it will show you these files as unencrypted in Drive X, called the CloudFogger. From now on if you want to work on these files, you work in Drive X, called the CloudFogger. If you make any change, it will then encrypt and sent to Dropbox.

For example, if you have a word document called, "example.doc". You make changes in Drive X, called the CloudFogger. Once you made the changes and closed the file, "example.doc" it will be automatically encrypted and sent to Dropbox.

Keep your password file in Dropbox and don't move it to the CloudFogger sub-directory in Dropbox. If you want to you can now move the key file in the CloudFogger sub-directory in Dropbox. If anyone hacked your Dropbox, they cannot open the key file as it will be encrypted by CloudFogger.

Best regards,

KOR!

6. aladdin

Dear pagenn,

Yes CloudFogger will solve this problem. Each and every file is separately encrypted and sent to Dropbox. I have 5gb in Dropbox and have no problem. Dropbox is same as before, but the individual files are now sent to Dropbox as encrypted files.

Do you have Dropbox?

Best regards,

KOR!

7. aladdin

Yes, it is mainly to encrypt small specific files and you don't have to apply it to all your Dropbox contents for it to work well.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi this IMO is an excellent option, check out Ste Gibsons (GRC) review @http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-351.mp3
    At present you can get 25G free with skydrive.... this becomes very attractive if you can easily and totally securely encrypt your data before storing it in the cloud(especially Microsofts cloud :eek: :rolleyes:)

9. aladdin

Dear popcorn,

1. You don't get 25GB, you only get 7GB.

2. I don't know if Microsoft knows about syncing through the LAN.

Best regards,

KOR!

10. popcorn

long time since Ive been called dear lol

can't say today... havent checked, but last wk if you signed up to skydrive they gave you 7G plus an extra 18G

and I dont think SkyDrive supports syncing through the LAN I still use DropBox (pre internet encrypted) for this and SkyDrive (also pre internet encrypted) for static files.

11. aladdin

New sign ups are only 7GB. You have to pay $10 per year for extra 20GB, thus making a total of 27GB. Pretty cheap though!

Can you give a link about syncing through the LAN?

Best regards,

KOR!

12. x942

x942 Guest

I use google Drive + TrueCrypt/LUKS Volumes.

I only use it for backups so I don't mind the long upload times as I only do it about once per month and downloads are pretty fast (1GB file takes ~1 hour). I paid 2.49/month for 25GB of storage (Which gives me and additional 25GB for gmail too).

I only use google drive for one reason. Android. I use Android for my phones (company) and this helps Sync everything perfectly.

I use a multi-level scheme for my data:

1) Non-Personal/Shared - No encryption; just posted on google drive - I do this with stuff like Docs that I need other to collaborate on and don't contain any sensitive information.

2) Persona0/Work - Encrypted with GPG - This is used for semi-sensitive documents (That still need to shared).

3) Private - CCrypt/Steghide/GPG Private key - Private information that only I want to access, but still want the convience of uploading/download smaller files.

4) Paranoid - TrueCrypt Volume W/ 64 Char. Password + Keyfile - Backups off my HDD of personal files and keepass database backup. I encrypted the Keepass database with Ccrypt as well just to be extra safe.

I Only use one LUKS volume and that's for uploading/downloading from/to Android as there is no truecrypt there yet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  13. popcorn

EDIT-
    With Google pushing there new cloud service Google Drive MicroSoft responded by dropping from 25G to 7G, but if you are a hotmail/windows live user already you can upgrade to 25G http://yazhuang.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/grab-your-25g-free-skydrive-space.html -as I previously posted not sure if they are still offering this.

Here you go... syncing through the LAN courtesy of Dropbox -https://www.dropbox.com/help/137

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  14. aladdin

Dear popcorn,

I know that Dropbox uses LAN syncing. I was asking about SkyDrive of Microsoft.

Best regards,

KOR!

15. aladdin

Out of interest, just tried it and it doesn't work for already users. Only 7GB, any upgrade you have to buy it.

Best regards,

KOR!

16. popcorn

I suspected it was a time limited offer, I guess I was inadvertently lucky :eek:
    also suspect your quite correct in that Skydrive doesnt offer LAN synching, as previously posted I am only using Skydrive for synching static files to the cloud ie photos, music etc, all pre internet encrypted via cloud fogger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.