Cloud powered Reputation

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by chrisf8657, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Registered Member

Honestly,

I think this feature could use some work. Norton's Cloud service provides alot more information on processes, allows submitting a report (favorable/unfavorable,etc).

Other feature is HIPS. Like quite a few others here, I also feel a default set of rules we can see, edit and selectively enable/disable would be a good idea.

ESET needs to take some hints from other products.

Just my .02

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET is not going to simply copycat other products but will make the best of the techniques that are used in the ESET's products and extend them even further by module updates.

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Excellent approach!

4. toxinon12345

I read this in a white paper:

i think that is a smart way of using the cloud: to improve the lab efficiency for a increase in detection rates and low false positives.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Without going into too much detail or getting into things that might be trade secret information, how much of the time is ESS spending on a typical install uploading files from a user's machine back to ESET? Are there settings to stop this during gaming or peak hours when someone does not want to tie up the bandwidth?

6. toxinon12345

ESET doesnt upload files without asking you. That is the default setting.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

You have to remember that Symantec has been collecting information on this kind of stuff from millions of machines for many, many, many months. I went to a pre-launch presentation on SEP 12.1 and their cloud functionality - and you can't underestimate the power of all those installed machines providing information realtime.

ESET may be a major player in eastern europe, but throughout the rest of the world, the market share is growing still from a very small minority position - I would rather they do the basics of the system and do them well, then grow those features as Marcos explained than try to roll out a fully featured and less well developed feature set.

8. toxinon12345

Will ESS/EAV collect samples based on reputation?

I noticed that in Panda products.

9. piranha

piranha Registered Member

it seems to be affirmative.

the tools is named Cloud-Powered Reputation in v5 RC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.