Closing Port 1025

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Rainwalker, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Thanks, TAS. :)

Based on what these ports are being used for (at least on my PC), why would I want to close them? o_O Don't I want Automatic Updates?

2. Louise

Louise Guest

So can you close/stealth port 1025 with Norton Internet Security? Or does it not need to be closed. (I also have Norton AntiVirus)

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

just as a side note, closing a port with a firewall is not the same than closing a port with WWDC.

A firewall "closes" a port by denying access to it from the outside, but the port is still really in the state open.
    WWDC disables the service listenning on it and so, really close it.

:)

regards,

gkweb.

4. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I thought the Automatic Updates would be useful too but then wouldn't Manually Updating be better? I don't know if Microsoft always knows what is good for our machines. There might be a lot of compatibilty annoyances to deal with by accepting the download of a service fix or update before checking what is said about them.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

It sounds like a better approach in my situation would be to go to Services and simply shut down Automatic Updates. Right?

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Precisely why I don't allow Auto *anything*... I like to look at MS's WU Patches/Fixes first, then decide if it's for me. Too many times I have seen such fixes/patches that in no way apply to me at all, so I don't install.

My AV/AT/anything, I check/update manually, I like to see it done, and then confirmed by my own eyes.

Even scanning, I start manually, never do an auto one, and I patiently sit there watching it, however, I only do those every 4-6 weeks, as I am confident in the RTM attributes of my AV/AT combo. :)

But, that's just me, I am a control freak. :D

Thanks for the input Steverio :)

Daisey, of course mate, it's entirely up to the individual regarding updating anything.

Cheers, TAS

7. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have exactly the same approach as yourself, I have automatic updates switched off, I always, when I can, like to be in control of what goes onto my system as well.

THE MUL

8. Dazed_and_Confused

I can understand that approach. But it's not for me. I enjoy automation, and in general the finer things in life. :D

P.S. I also hate camping, especially without my hair dryer, microwave, and Air Conditioning... :cool:

9. steverio

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the mul
    I have exactly the same approach as yourself, I have automatic updates switched off, I always, when I can, like to be in control of what goes onto my system as well.

Thinking about this...The Automatic Updates has the option to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". But you probably already know that? I thought it was maybe an area between the acceptance of unforeseen downloads and turning off automatic updates completely. That way you could still be able to either check an available update out first before downloading it or deselect it, if you wanted to. Just another thought. But...just like TAS said it's entirely up to you.

P.S. About campers: If we all made the right choices, then we all must be Happy Campers! :D

10. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes. That's exactly what I do. :) I have them automatically downloaded, but I choose which ones to install. For example, the little AutoUpdate icon in my system tray has been bugging the heck out of me the last couple of weeks trying to convince me to upgrade to SP2. :mad: From what I've read here, I'm going to hold off for a while... :rolleyes:

11. steverio

Hmm...I don't recall the AU systray icon popping up and bugging me about something that I decided to not download. I did check the box to "Don't notify me about these updates again" though so the selected file would be hidden until I changed my mind.

About SP2...I just received my CD from Microsoft today. I'm impressed that MS only took 6 working days to get here!:eek: Now I'm not prepared yet to install it. I am apprehensive about the compatibility issues that I've been reading about. I have many apps on my machine to think about. I need to do more research and maybe I'll see some more input from users here that have crossed over to SP2. :doubt:

12. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello Steverio. :)

Not sure. I've attached a pic of how I have my autoupdate configured. When an udpate is downloaded, an icon appears in my system tray, and a message occassionally appears telling me an update is avaliable. No big deal,m since I'm eventually going to install it. Just waiting for the right moment... ;)

Attached Files:

13. Dazed_and_Confused

Maybe I missed it or didn't understand the response to my earlier question, but regarding Port 1025 (or I guess any port for that matter that is used for a specific purpose), why would I want to close it? Am I to assume there is a security risk leaving it open (or allowing Windows Update to leave it open)? Can someone hack into my PC through that open port? :doubt:

Attached Files:

• PE.gif
      PE.gif
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
  14. steverio

Good Morning D&C...

Just a misunderstanding...I was referring to the next option you could check just below the one you have checked. It's the "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". It operates in a different manner. The one you have selected doesn't give you a choice to not download a particular file right away. It just asks you when its all finished downloading the files in the background if you want to install all or part of them. :)

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello, Steverio. :)

I thought that might be the case. I selected that option since I always install all critical updates. And it only automatically downloads critical ones. All of the non-critical ones I have to manually download, which is OK by me, because I rarely install those.

16. pesla21

pesla21 Guest

Swp&Clr, thank you for your help , i followed the instruction you posted here and managed to close most ports which were listening, this is such a very educational forum and i am so happy i found it. i just have another question , what is "tcpip6.sys"? it keep on asking if it should allowed in the system can i can allow it? at the moment i have blocked it with my sygate firewall. any suggestion will be highly appreciated

17. annonomous

annonomous Guest

well, this is an old thread, but seeing as i just looked at it for help, others might, so here was my solution....port 1025 was being used by windows updates, to continously check for new available updates, so, simply disable automatic updates, nis 2005 now shows port 1025 as "stealth" (closed an invisible) whereas before it was open

18. Gadget

Gadget Guest

If you get a lil tool called 'XP-AntiSpy' and check off "no automatic updates" it will close port 1025 for you. I tested at Shields Up before I did this and the port was open, now, after having checked that feature off within the program and testing again, it is now closed. :)

19. Joby1Kenobe

Joby1Kenobe Registered Member

I wish I could figure out what you meant! I tried the XP-Antispy program and there was NO difference. My port 1025 is still wide open. Can anyone tell me how to turn it offo_O PLEASE!! :) I'm running Zone Alarm Pro and nothing I do seems to make a difference. I have set both the Internet and Trusted zones to maximum protection, to no avail. ANY help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

20. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Have you determined which service/application is listening on that port? Once you have done that, determine if it one that you use/require. If not, you could stop/disable the service. Keep in mind that your firewall, if properly configured, will be protecting this service and it will not be exposed to the Internet.

Regards,

CrazyM

21. Joby1Kenobe

No! Windows Task Manager does not tell me what service is using the port. Also, Shields Up tells me it's wide open. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Joby

22. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Task Manager will not, but if you are using Port Explorer it will. If you are not using PE at the command prompt try "netstat -ano" without the quotes. It will show ports in use and the associated PID which you can match up with the list in Task Manager.

In a previous post you mention using ZA Pro, check your rules, do you have Internet Server enabled for anything?

Regards,

CrazyM

23. Joby1Kenobe

Thanks, CrazyM, that last suggestion/question did the trick! Now ShieldsUp says I passed! Thanks, again! :D :cool:

Joby

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  24. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Glad to hear you have it sorted out :)

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.