Close Message Handling and Ad-Watch Failure

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

As I understand Close Message Handling's security "concept", it is a tool to alert a user of potential unauthorized closure of key/critical security programs...along with other possibilities.

Here's what happens when I provide Close Message Handling on Lavasoft's Ad-Watch which is the memory resident spyware/adware blocker of AdAware6 Plus/Pro.

1. Three consecutive HID's appear as various modules start to close on Ad-Watch termination. Each require HID confirmation.
    2. Then the MS error alert appears stating that Ad-Watch encountered an error and has to close. I confirm.
    3. A fatal exception error box then appears. I confirm that.
    4. Another HID box follows and I confirm.
    5. Another HID box follows and I confirm.
    6. After #5, the HID will not close...just sits there. Each time I click OK, it beeps and nothing else happens. I cannot X it out or get rid of it.
    7. A reboot of the computer appears to be the only next step.

Okay. I tried this on 2 other security type programs and the same sequence of events occur. I don't mind the multiple HIDs at the beginning, but the error box and fatal exceptions cause me to have to reboot. Thus far the only Close Message Handling "security" application that seems to work smoothly is on PG itself....at least on my block of security programs.

Any help/guidance on this would be appreciated.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes, as has already been said in the past, Close Message Handling is in a "beta" style stage of development. Whilst it works fine with many applications, there are some which it doesn't work well or at all with.

The reason it works fine with Process Guard is because that is a 100% WIN32 API application with no 3rd party libraries clogging it up. A lot of Delphi/Visual Basic programs have LOTS of windows which Process Guard is protecting and it causes issues with these style apps. When I was testing ADAware today I noticed a window name which appeared to be one that is commonly used in Delphi, so it doesn't surprise me it is having problems.

Hopefully in a future build these small incompatibility issues with CMH will be able to be fixed.

-Jason-

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I have made some changes to procguard.dll (which provides the protection) and it has made Adaware a lot more stable, should also make other VB/Delphi apps MORE stable with CMH enabled too.

This might make it into a small release this week.

-Jason-

4. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Should Ad-Watch be added to the protected app list ?
    If so the what settings should be enabled for it ?
    I have Ad-Watch but I totally disable it from startup when installing PG then after it's setup I re-enable Ad-Watch and haven't seen a need to add it to the PG protection list.
    I haven't seen any problems with Ad-Watch being able to log registry changes.
    Thanks
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.