Cloning

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rbos52, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbos52

rbos52 Registered Member

can anyone explain the procedure for cloning all material, from one harddrive to another. I have a maxtor 30 gig, and want to clone everything on maxtor to a western digital 120 gig.
    PLEASE HELP:::::

Rbos52 :oops:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Quick question... Do you have any product already for disk imaging or cloning, or are you looking for recommendations for products that do this? (You see, if you already have one of the Acronis products, this thread can be moved to that forum section, but if you are looking for alternatives, we can move it somewhere else for broader attention.)

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi rbos52,

Since you have a Maxtor drive, you should be able to use MaxBlast 3 For Windows (freeware):

"MaxBlast 3 is a one-step, ATA/IDE hard drive installation utility. MaxBlast 3 makes hard drive installations and upgrades hassle-free for novices and professionals alike by automatically identifying, partitioning, and formatting any IDE hard drive, making it data-ready in about one minute. This version of MaxBlast is used on systems with already existing Windows installations to copy all your data to the new hard drive in order to use it as a boot drive, or additional storage drive. If you're building a new system, the MaxBlast bootable floppy or CD versions are recommended.

Easy to use Windows interface

Compatible with Windows 95, 95B, 98, Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

Breaks the 528 MB, 2.1 GB, 4.2 GB, 8.4 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and 137 GB capacity barriers.

Supports both FAT32 and NTFS drive partitions.

Supports up to four ATA devices in the same system.

The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive.

Fast ATA and Serial ATA compatible.

The installation tutorial option allows you to view the installation process before physically installing your Maxtor ATA hard drive.

Note: There must be at least one Maxtor ATA Disk Drive installed in the system for MaxBlast 3 to run."

Nick

4. Cynheidre

Cynheidre Registered Member

If you have Windows XP Professional then Automated System Recovery may suit your needs.
    I've not really experimented with this as I generally use Norton Ghost for imaging and backup purposes.

5. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

For simply cloning disk-to-disk, I've used the floppy-based programs from both Maxtor and Western Digital. Both worked flawlessly - even allowing scaling the size of partitions when cloning to larger-capacity HDs.

For imaging/restoring program as a security tool, I use Terabyte 'Image for D
    OS'.

Hope this helps!

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I've used Acronis True Image 8.0 to both clone and resize a partition, very smooth...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.