Cloning...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LakeFront, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LakeFront

LakeFront Registered Member

hi:
    i am using true image 10, with xp pro. i am having problems cloning my existing 80gb hard disk. i purchased another 80 gb hd and installed it as a basic slave disk. i used the acronis clone in auto mode and followed all instructions, but i can't seem to boot from the new target disk when i set it to master. moreover, when i reconfigure it to slave again and use the original as master, the target is empty, i.e., nothing was cloned.
    do i first have to use the sysprep utility, i.e., and use options -nosidgen -mini ?
    moreover, in event something goes wrong, will i still be able to boot from the original source disk?
    thanks in advance...
    steve b.
    ---

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use TI10 but in general:

You do not need the sysprep utility, it is for attempting to move from one hardware box to a different one and will help fix up drivers for different PCI devices.

Do your clone from the bootable rescue CD. There have been posts saying this method works when trying from within Windows doesn't.

Be sure you remove your original drive from the system before attempting your first boot with the clone. Since the new drive is exactly the same as the original, Windows can get confused about what is where. After you have done the first successful boot you can put the original back in as a slave, or do whatever you wish with it.

The contents of the original should not be altered in the cloning process unless you marked the box that causes the original disk to be wiped.

3. LakeFront

thanks for the response. unfortunately i'm having a heck of a time getting this thing off the ground.
    i created a bootable rescue media on cd-rom using acronis and it completed successfully, BUT, after changing the boot sequence to boot from cd-rom, it refuses to boot, i.e., keeps asking me to click F2 and modify setup ( but i did that, and the cd-rom is 1st in line... ) arggh!!!
    no errors were reported when i created the bootable rescue cd.
    thanks again...
    ---

4. LakeFront

hello seekforever:
    everything is fine now. turns out i had a mix up with the boot sequence of my 2 internal cd-rom drives.
    your solution was on the money!
    cheers...
    steve b.
    ---

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad you got it working!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.