Cloning w DiscWizard on Fujitsu Deskpower C600

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by YAPEL, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YAPEL

YAPEL Registered Member

I was helping a friend to upgrade the HDD of the above computer with a higher capacity and RPM. We chose to use the Disk Clone function of the Seagate DiscWizard, which is basically a simple version of ATI-10.

The OS is XP Home SP2. However, the format is FAT32. The original HDD is a WD 40GB.

We first cloned with a new Seagate 7200.10 160GB drive. Upon swopping in the new drive as the system drive, the system showed "NTLDR Missing, ...". [We subsequently used this HDD to clone on a Dell Dimension 8200 (also XP Home, but NTFS formatted), and did not encountered any problem.]

We next cloned with a good used Seagate 7200.9 80GB drive. And the same problem occurred.

We had verified that the jumper position was the same as the original HDD (in this case CS).

Unfortunately, the legacy FDD was faulty and we were not able to try out some of the methods proposed in some earlier forum threads (like copying NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI over to C:/).

We have yet to clone with the DiscWizard bootable media (all above clonings were done under Windows).

Meantime, we like to know if any member of this forum has similar encounter, and if a specific fix is available.

Thank you in advance.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Just some ideas - I haven't tried any of this so I don't know if it will work.

1. Use the bootable media for the Clone.
    2. Make a backup Image first then Restore that Image to the new drive, if Disc Wizard allows this.
    3. Make a partition on the new drive equal to the size of the old drive and then try the Restore of the Image. If it works, you can always expand the partition afterwards.

3. YAPEL

YAPEL Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt response.

I will certainly try out your (1).
    I need to check if DiscWizaard support your (2). As my existing HDD is rather full, does it mean that I need a third HDD for the image, and then to restore into the second (clone) HDD?
    I should also mention that I had tried both "As-is" and "proportional" in the earlier clonings, but they gave the same result.

Regards.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

For #2, yes, a third hard drive will simplify things, but with a little more work you don't have to. Make the Image and put it on the new drive, then copy the Image back to the old drive. Swap the drives and do the Restore.

Actually I think True Image (and maybe DiscWizard) can actually do the Backup Image on to the drive it is backing up. Again I have not tried this, but I'm pretty sure I've read this in the forum.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I am working on a new cloning guide which is currently a "work in progress". You are welcome to download the "as is" copy. I believe it could help if you followed its illustrations. Suggest that any diagnostic or hidden partition be replaced in the same exact size.

http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/clone1.pdf

Note also the Help Guide on Upgrading to larger drive pdf link link below in my signature. This guide illustrates how to create a replacement disk when restoring from a full disk image.

Both guides use the same format and similar illustrations except you can choose either the new cloning guide or the Partition Restore with Resizing guide.

Any comments about the Cloning guide would be appreciated via a private message which can be done by clicking my login name.

To answer a previous question--yes you can create a backup of C and store it on C (temporarily). However, you cannot restore C from a backup stored on C.

6. YAPEL

YAPEL Registered Member

Thank all for the pointers.

Will try out and report back in due course.

Cheers!

7. YAPEL

YAPEL Registered Member

We managed to make it work following the good advices from all.

For sharing, this was what we have done:

1. Create disk image on a USB third drive

2. Swop the original drive (40GB) with the new drive (80GB)

3. Boot with DiscWizard bootable media with USB third drive connected

4. Restore image from third drive into the new drive

5. Disconnect third drive and boot normally with new drive as boot drive

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.