cloning vs. imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by smoberly, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoberly

smoberly Registered Member

Okay, I have a newbie quesiton....getting ready to download Acronis....just purchased a 120 gig external drive....I have been looking on this forum....I see references to cloning and to imaging.....what is the difference? Thanks.

2. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

just search google for "cloning vs imaging"

you would have found, for example, this page:
    http://www.thejournal.com/thefocus/10.cfm

Normal backups are usually done on a file-by-file basis to a removable media such as tape. Backup done on a file-by-file basis is called "cloning." While this term is not normally applied to tape backups, you can see that a tape backup is essentially a clone, albeit one that is not readily accessible. Each file on the system being backed up is copied to another system or directly to media such as tape, a CD-R or DVD-R. Depending on the software, the clone can be compressed or uncompressed. Backup done sector by sector from the system's hard disk is called "imaging." In this case the file boundaries are totally ignored, it simply copies the drive byte by byte to another drive or media. With cloning you can typically specify some portion of the hard disk (certain folders and files) to backup. With imaging this is not the case, because the drive (or partition) is totally copied. This means incremental backups, where files that have changed from the last full backup, can be copied. Such incremental changes are not normally supported in imaging.

3. smoberly

smoberly Registered Member

thank you!

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello smoberly,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Besides the links given to you above I can recommend that you read the following question in our FAQ
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#9c

Briefly, when you create an image you obtain a file (or several files) that contain the information concerning you disk or partition. You may store this file on any media such as HDD, CD, DVD, Iomega REV drives etc.

When you clone your hard disk you should clone it only to another hard disk and you obtain the copy of your old drive rather than a single file. This option is usually used to transfer system from a smaller disk to a larger one.

I also would recommend you to read the User's Guide before you perform any actions.

If you have any further questions please feel free to aks them either in this forum or via e-mail support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.