cloning software RAID 0 under Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rjmnyc, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjmnyc

rjmnyc Registered Member

Hi

I have a Windows 2000 server with two hard drives using software RAID 0.
    I want to replace my drives with three larger ones and insall a hardware RAID controller. Can Acronis image software RAID 0 under Windows 2000?

Thanks

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

If you are moving to a new RAID controller, the image would not boot due to not having the right controller drivers installed. But you would still have the image on hand for retrieving your data.

3. rjmnyc

rjmnyc Registered Member

Hello and thanks for responding.

I think it might be possible to install the RAID driver in Windows prior to making the image. This way Windows should be able to boot. Your response gives me the impression that Acronis CAN create an image of a Windows software array. Is this correct?

Thanks

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but any volume that Windows can see should be "imagable".

if you physically install the RAID card and attach drive(s) and create an array, then boot to Windows on the old drive, then you can install the driver in your current OS.

However, there may also be another issue with moving to a controller, which is that the controller may use a few sectors of the drive for storing the array and partition data. This can sometimes cause an inability to restore an image taken from different hardware. This is one of the reasons why they always say: back up your data before attempting. ;)

Since you're apparently working with dynamic discs in Windows on your current setup, there may well be issues with trying to restore that volume to a RAID card.

I'd strongly recommend doing a fresh install on the new controller, it may well save you time and frustration, and will certainly be the optimal choice.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rjmnyc,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

As I have understood you are talking about the Windows dynamic disks.

Well, then please be aware that Windows dynamic disks are supported only by server versions of Acronis True Image: Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows and Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 8.0.

Please read more in section 3.5 of Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows User's Guide and this FAQ article.

rjmnyc is correct in his statement that there may be a driver issue after you will restore your image to the new RAID array and then try to boot into Windows.

Here is the main scheme of transferring the operating system to a different hardware:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Create an image of the prepared Windows;

- Restore this image to the desired location;

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending of the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

I also recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows or free trial version of Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 8.0 to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you will be satisfied with the work of the trial version of the software then please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.