Cloning Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Geezer, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I read it and I don't disagree with he or you. Good info.

I'm only pointing out that if you choose not to follow the conventional wisdom or happen to inadvertently or purposefully restart with both the original source and new clone drive connected (as could easily happen with older TI8 builds) then XP will change the disk signature of the non-master whether you want it to or not. Agreed you don't get to choose the letter that way but the OS automatically resolves the conflict at least in a gross sense.

Obviously, for those of us who have tinkered with cloning, we learn not to run both simultaneously. The manuals are not so clear on this so the uninitiated either seem confused (as I was) or they end up with corruption (which I did).

Happy cloning to all.

2. The Geezer

The Geezer Registered Member

Sorry it took me so long to post back, I had a few problems along the way.

Cutting a long story short(ish), I wanted to shrink my OS partition down before cloning - I did that with P Magic, but suffered a failure error on reboot - leading to an unbootable PC :doubt: .

Fortunately, via a combination of a PE Boot Disk I made beforehand and Seatools I was able to establish the source of my problem - 7 bad sectors on the OS drive to be partition shrunk and then cloned :eek: . I repaired with Seatools, was able to reboot as normal and was then able to clone like a charm.

I unplugged the old drive, switched the new drive to primary master via CSel rejumpering and plugged in a nice new Seagate slave too for good measure. Was able to boot first time and PC performance considerably improved by changing out the old hdd.

Finally, after booting up, I plugged the old hdd into my external enclosure and crossed my fingers as I started it up through the firewire connection. It was mounted as a new drive letter and I was able to format and repartition for use as data storage for unimportant crap.

Good software this True Image ;) .

3. dld

dld Registered Member

Glad to see everything got sorted out. Thanks for posting back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.