Cloning Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tgpayne, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgpayne

tgpayne Registered Member

My PC has a C & D hard drive. C drive is full so I cloned it to a larger, new drive. To do so, I removed D and connected new drive. Then I cloned C to the new drive. I removed old C drive and connected new C drive it its place. I then reconnected D to its original spot. The clone process was successful and I now have a higher capacity C drive. However I cannot see D drive.

This is a PII 233mgz Gateway PC, if that matters. The new drive is a 40gig WD HD.

I used the free home trial version of Acronis True Image.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thom

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I presume these are PATA drives with ribbon cable connectors. Is the new C drive jumpered in the same way as the old C drive ? Master with slave is a usual setting. The jumper on the second drive should not have been changed.

Xpilot

3. tgpayne

Yes, they are ribbon cable connectors. The new C drive is connected in the same manner as the old C Drive. I did not do anything to the D drive except remove it and then replace it after I cloned the new drive.

Thanks,

Thom

PS Could I have damaged the cable?

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You need to check the jumper on the C drive, not just its position on the cable.

5. tgpayne

The jumper on the C drive is where?

thanks,

Thom

6. TheWeaz

The same place as the cable plugs in; in the end of the drive.

7. tgpayne

Is it the small male connectors with the plastic piece on it? Should it be in the middle? Sorry to be so technically deficient, but I'm learning.

Thanks,

Thom

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Between the 40 pin connector and the smaller power connector. It is a small strap and you will probably have to use eyebrow tweezers to change it's position.
    on the body of the drive is a label which shows how the jumper should be placed. Have a look at the old C drive first.

Xpilot

9. TheWeaz

WD drives usually have a sticker on the top showing different jumper settings. You want Master with Slave.

10. tgpayne

Yes, I see it. 5 rows of 2 prongs each and a plastic piece is on the middle 2 prongs. I take it the new drive should duplicate that.

Thanks,

Thom

11. TheWeaz

I may have missed this, but both drives are on the same ribbon, correct? If so, check the sticker on the top of the drive for the Master with Slave setting.

12. tgpayne

ok, will do. Thanks for all your help,

Thom

13. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Not necessarily ... different brands may have different configurations for where the Master and Slave jumper positions should be. And be extra careful with Western Digital drives. The jumper position is different for Master only or Master with Slave. Is your D drive on the same ribbon cable as the C drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.