Cloning of hard drive...plz help!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gilgalad, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilgalad

gilgalad Registered Member

Hi all,

I have True Image 9.0, and i need your answer before I start what I want to do.

I have an old 20 GB hard drive labelled C:\ , which is very old and on which windows xp is installed. Then I have a recent 80 GB hard drive, labelled D:\

I want to clone my C: hard drive on a partition that I will make on the D:\ hard drive. But my question is: after I have done this operation, will the computer start correctly? Do I have to make the new partition bootable, or does True Image do everything?

Can anyone explain me the exact prcedure, from the beginning to the end?

Thanks a lot!

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

When you clone a disk, all the information is copied from one disk to the other. Consequently, unless you have a partiton on C drive, your newly created partition on D drive will be wiped out during the cloning process. If you have Disk Director or Partition Magic, after the cloning, you could create a partition on D Drive.
    The alternative would be to create your partition on D drive, and call it E (say). Then create an image of C drive on E, and finally restore the image to D.

The steps are as follows:-

1. Create your partition on D (if you have not got Disk Director nor PM)
    2. Create recoverable CD by launching TrueImage, select Tools and then Create Bootable Rescue Media. Create your Rescue disk.
    3. Then, while still in TI Windows, select Backup (the initial screen) and follow the steps, selecting Disk 1 as source and E as target. Name the file or use the default one, and so on.
    4. After the image has been created, reboot and tap the relevant key to change the booting order to CD-Rom. Mine is F8.
    5. Insert your Recovery Disk, press Enter and wait until the menu is displayed.
    Select Recovery and go through the procedure of restoring your image to D drive.
    6. Once completed, switch off the computer, disconnect C Drive, make D drive master using the jumper, connect it as per C configuration and boot.
    7. Once Windows has loaded and everything appears in order, (Windows might ask that you reboot because it has found new hardware), connect the old C drive and if it is not recognised then go into Disk Management and reassign the letter.
    8. This last step is very important.Delete the information on the old C before rebooting again as two copies of Windows do not like competing during a boot.

3. gilgalad

gilgalad Registered Member

Yea thx...but do I have to set the E: partition as active or primary??

4. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

No, it does not need to be. It can be a logical one.

5. DMD31842

DMD31842 Registered Member

I am also a new user and cannot seem to grasp how to make a complete backup of my hard drive so I can restore if the computer crashes. Wouldn't it be best to store the image on a CD? If so, can someone walk me through the whole process? With simple language if possible? Thanks. David

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gilgalad,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The easiest way to implement, what you have described in your post is to use Disk Clone Wizard of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. It can be accessed by selecting `Operations` -> `Clone Disk`. The wizard will guide you through the process of migrating your data from one HDD to another. After the process is completed, you can shutdown your PC, safely disconnect your former one and boot your computer without a glance.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.