Cloning a disk with Pargon Dirve Backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by whschul, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whschul

whschul Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a unhappy acronis 2012 user :( and desperate to get it off my system, and put something better in its place. I link cloning the disk in its entirety so that if a problem occurs and can just switch the drives and be on my way. Does paragon have the ability to do this.. And are folks generally happy. I worry about trying to get rid of all the HAL drivers from the system left over, but will cross that bridge in the near future. Any comments or anything that could help me in this transition would be helpful...

Thanks,

2. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Hello and welcome to the Paragon Backup forum. I too am a former Acronis user and you willl find more than a few of us have migrated to Paragon. I am using the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite. Very nice and a great price.

Paragon does have the ability to copy partitions or disks for you, in addition to full backup functionality, though it won't do archive integrity checks on file level backups (archive integrity only works with full partition backups).

I am delighted with the product and had occasion to do a full restore when one of my RAID0 drives on C:\ went south. No problems at all. I had 85 GB restored within 25 minutes and the restoration was flawless.

The user interface is not the friendliest, but the product appears to be very solid and I am very happy with it. I recommend it.

Good luck ridding yourself of the registry corruption caused by Acronis. Without Richard Virtue's help, I would still have a crippled computer. He too has migrated here and is under the handle "Arvy". I am sure that he would be happy to direct you to his detailed instructions for hacking your registry and avoiding the BDODs and other malfunctions caused by trying to remove or upgrade ATIH2012.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

3. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Yes, of course I'd be happy to help with those OS-corrupting Acronis "leftovers" in any way I can. I'm starting a new thread here on that particular subject as it may be helpful to other Acronis -> Paragon converts as well. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=316447 whenever you're ready.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. whschul

OK, so let me see if I understand a little.

Step 1. Run the uninstall from the add and remove.

Then look for the UpperFilters and the other entried
    and I see this in one of then...
    PartMgr
    SiRemFil
    fltsrv for example...

So Do I just get rid of the fltsrv or delete all the entried in this..o_O

Sorry for being a difficult, but get ready to take the attempt at this..

Once I clean the system, I think I am off to paragon,,.,,,

5. whschul

Also, I have 2011 installed on a system , are there any similar instructions for
    that as well.,

Thanks,

6. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

One thing at a time, please. ATIH 2011's registry entries are quite different from ATIH 2012's. And SiRemFil has nothing to do with either of them. AFAIK, it's a Silicon Image driver for their SATA controllers.

Yes, uninstall normally first. After that, what I've posted regarding ATIH 2012 and what it does to your registry is as clear and precise as I am capable of writing it. If any of the steps are not clear to you, then please don't do it. Note in particular the step that says:

7. whschul

Free at last , Free at last.. Geez, now my CF card readers
    are working again ( via USB) and all the other stuff.. So I removed it
    from the Window 7 machine correctly. Now i Got to see if the
    2011 I can get rid of from the XP machine...

So now, in your opion, which of the paragon should I use to make
    a complete clone of the entire disk so in case one gets corrupted, I
    can just put the other one in and reboot the system.

Many thanks for the instructions, they worked like a charm...

Yea.....
    :D

8. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Great! Glad it solved the problem for you.

I know that Paragon's Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite does cloning 'cuz I use it myself, but it may be more than you actually need. You can check the complete features lists for each of their current products on their web pages.

P.S.: It's very difficult to guess the precise results of switching back and forth between ATIH 2012 and ATIH2011. In the forward direction, it should properly replace the old Acronis drivers with the new ones, but even that doesn't always work according to some end user reports. In the reverse direction, it's anybody's guess. I can only tell you ATIH 2011 used to use snapman.sys directly as a device class filter service. The new fltsrv.sys driver was introduced in ATIH 2012 as an intermediary loader so that snapman.sys is still there, but not as a direct device class filter. Or that's the theory at least. It's almost impossible to guess what kind of mess all of the version switching operations may actually have produced in your XP machine's registry. You could try asking in the Acronis forums, but I wouldn't be very hopeful there either. Your best bet might be "upgrading" to ATIH 2012 again (if you can) and then removing it in the same way as your other machine.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.