Cloneing a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by qsawlopo, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qsawlopo

qsawlopo Registered Member

My hard drive has 4 bad sectors and I am worried that it is going to fail completely some time soon. It was making a terrible noise until I ran checkdisk and found the four bad sectors. Now it no longer makes the terrible noise but I worry it will still fail soon anyway. What I want to know is will Acronis True Image 8.0 let me copy one hard drive to another then remove my old drive and just use my new one. I intend to add a second hard drive internally to do this. Then remove my old one and run off my new drive. I have a compaq Presario 6000 machine. P4 windows xp xp2. If compaq had given me a windows disk with my computer I would just install a hard drive and rebuilt my system but alas all I have is cab files on my soon to be dead hard drive If your program will not do this then do you know of any that will. Thank you your time and attention.

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Acronis TrueImage should work just fine in this scenario. Since you're running WinXP, just make sure that you remove the old drive before attempting to boot into Windows after the clone takes place.

3. qsawlopo

qsawlopo Registered Member

Can I upgrade to a larger hard drive and how would I do it at the same time. Thanks

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Sure. You can clone to a larger hard drive.

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you have ALL of the cab files, then those should be the Windows installation files. Burn them to CD just in case they are. Approximately what total size are all the cab files?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello qsawlopo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You will be able to clone one hard disk to another one without any problems using the "Clone Disk" wizard. If you choose Automatic mode the partitions to be copied will be resized proportionally on the new hard drive. Manual mode allows you to resize partitions on the new hard drive in the way you need. Please don't forget to unplug the old drive before booting Windows with the new one.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

I Am A Current Compaq User Also (7000T Series) Compaq Presario Computers Come With A 3 Or 4 CD Set Of Quick Restore CD'S That Can be Used To restore Your Computer,Even If you replace Your Hard Drive, The CD's Include The Operating System, Are OEM Windows Discs, If You No Longer Have The Disks, All You Have To Do Is, E-Mail Compaq And Supply Your Computer Model And Serial Number And ASk What you Need Or This Site Is Where You Can Buy The Quick Restore CD'S, Just input Your Compaq Serial Number

https://www.orderz.com/qrcons/page1.asp

You will only have available quick restore cd's for the operating system that came with your presario computer

When you Then restore Using The Compaq CD'S After Your new Drive Is Installed,You Can continue Using Acronis True Image To Save A Fresh Backup image

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, but using those CDs to restore to a new hard drive loses all the data, program settings, Internet setup, programs installed since the system was purchased, all Windows updates, etc. Data can be saved before removing the hard drive, but all the programs and updates will have to be reintstalled and reconfigured.

By cloning the old drive to a new one, all the programs, updates, antivirus updates will be preserved as well as all the data and settings. That's a huge saving in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.