Cloned W764 disk will not logon to W2k Server

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by tfboles, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfboles

tfboles Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm using Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite (English)

I cloned my W7 64 disk to move it to another machine.
    Machine 2 is essentially identical to No 1.
    All went well except I'll need to reauthorize some software licenses.

Problem is, when I go to log on to my W2k Server the username/password is rejected. I can't get to my files.

If I put the disk back in the original box it works fine.
    I have done it several ways with the same results. the latest was a restored disk image from DVD. Prior to that was a one touch copy. Prior to that, another copy option.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks

By the way, I ran sysprep. No change. Also, tried it on an XP machine just for sport. No problems.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Sounds like a win7 problem - not a Paragon one.

You would probably get the same if you performed exactly the same cloning opertaion with any other cloning software.

3. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Thank you SIW2,

I agree, there isn't anything done to the OS during the direct copy or the backup and restore operation. Are these computers in a domain? There could be a conflict with the other machine since the copied OS would have the same computer name and domain information, so I would try renaming it or removing and re-adding it to the domain.

4. tfboles

Thanks for your input. I agree it is not likely a paragon issue.
    I have gotten past the issue for now but unfortunately I don't know how I did it.
    There are many differences in the network settings in W7 ( or apparent changes) and I suspect it is my ingorance of these settings that is causing the problem.
    Thanks again

5. tfboles

I'm not past the issue...... I merely created another, different one.

Can anyone tell me how to change the SID with Paragon?
    The literature i reviewed before purchase indicated that could be done with paragon premium 10. I can not find it in the menues or help.
    I am thinking that this could a factor in my problem.

6. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Our software does include an SID changer, however it only supports windows 2000. You can use sysprep for this, however it is not likely that you will need it. The tool developed by Mark Russinovich which was part of sysinternals (he wrote all of these tools) has been decommissioned because it is typically no longer necessary to change the machine SID, see this post on his blog about it.

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.