Cloned a new hard drive - where's my old one?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blastoff, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastoff

blastoff Registered Member

Like it says. Had success cloning, or copying from my old 40GB to my new 100GB, now running on the new 100GB, which is part of what I want, but now I can't see the old drive, which I would also like. The missing drive is recognized by BIOS and even is listed withing Windows Device Manager as "working properly" and "enabled," but does not appear in Explorer, or anywhere else, or in DOS. This should be the E: drive, after the D: CD drive.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Blastoff

Welcome to Wilders

It looks as either if you had [if you used the new layout option] Ti to delete your you old HDD when you had it preform the Clone to your new HDD. or your jumpers are set incorrectly.

If you old HDD was deleted go to My Computer>right click Manged>left click Disk Management> left click, find your disk right click and reformat it.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  3. LibertyZ

LibertyZ Registered Member

If a HD is not recognized in My Computer and is recognized in Device Manager and then you reformat it, won't reformatting erase the data on the drive?

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Yes, you will lose everything by reformatting, but you already have everything on the newly cloned drive.

5. blastoff

blastoff Registered Member

Not sure if I needed to reformat or not, but I did. Still didn't work.

BUT ...

After doing so, I noticed that there is an option to "change drive letter and paths," and there was apparently no drive letter assigned. So I assigned it E:, and presto, got the drive. And that MAY have been all that needed to be done.

And as Ralphie mentioned, while I lost the data on that drive, I had already cloned it onto my new C: drive. Probably would have been optimal, safety wise, to have that data on both drives (my original intent), but it appears all is well.

Thanks to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.