Cloned a drive with bad sectors. Now the duplicate thinks it has bad sectors too.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jeff7, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

It's mind-numbing to read through this thread. Just when I think there's an easy solution (e.g., PM8.01) my hopes are dashed when it is pointed out that PM8 will retest bad sectors on FAT32 only. FAT32?! Who cares about fat32! NTFS is the fair of the day. Looks like the only reasonable thing to do at the moment is to RESIZE during restore when setting up a new hard drive. Could we all get on the same page? I've got a headache.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I was following another thread on cloning and it was noted that a freeware imaging program in the link below could change drive letters in the XP registry to correct boot problems on a cloned drive. I found out that savepart also resets bad clusters on the cloned drive. I emailed the developer and he said that this would work on a cloned NTFS partition.

http://www.partition-saving.com/

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tachyon42,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that at this moment we do not consider this behavior of Acronis True Image as a "bug". Please have a look at this post for details.

Please also note that it is impossible to resize partitions when restoring an image of a whole hard disk, there is no way to avoid restoring bad sectors in such a case. It is only possible to eliminate the bad sectors by restoring the partitions separately with resizing.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.