Clone Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RMedure, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMedure

RMedure Guest

Currently have a RAID1 SATA setup with a Promise controller. Planning to change to PERC320 SCSI controller and drives and ditch the SATA hardware. So the plan is to:
    Leave SATA hardware alone at first
    Install SCSI hardware
    Install drivers's etc...
    Build SCSI array
    Backup SATA drive(s) -- just in case
    Clone from SATA logical drive to SCSI logical drive
    Remove SATA hardware
    Delete SATA related software (array manager, drivers, etc ...)

Besides the standard response I've found on this forum (i.e., use system prep, run fdsik /mbr, etc ...) can anybody tell me if this should work?

2. RMedure

RMedure Guest

I probably should have mentioned ...

OS is Windows XP Pro, all the latest updates and service packs

Backup storage is on a network drive, but probably not relevant if doing clone instead of backup/restore.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: I probably should have mentioned ...

Hello RMedure,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Since Acronis True Image 8.0 does not allow you to clone over the network, the only way possible is to create an image and then restore it to a desired location.

Please also note that there is no point in installing the appropriate drivers to a destination system, since anyway all the data will be overwritten with the data from the image archive.

Here is the basic scheme of transferring the operating system to a different hardware:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Create an image of the prepared Windows;

- Restore this image to the desired location;

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending of the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. rmedure

rmedure Registered Member

You completely misunderstood. The SATA controller and drives AND the new SCSI controller and drives are on the same machine (at least temporarily while I perform the cloning operation). Assuming all goes well, I'll remove and dispose of the SATA controller and drives.

5. rmedure

rmedure Registered Member

Clone Success

The cloning process worked just fine. In fact, I'm currently working off the cloned system right now.

And it booted off the new storage hardware first try. I'm definately buying this software. I plan to use it for future regular backup to the network drive ... and I know I'll have to use the restore function at least once when I some time later decide to switch my SCSI storage from RAID1 to RAID0.

Thanks Acronis!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.