Clone not working on Dell Vostro 1500

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dicks0, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dicks0

dicks0 Registered Member

Hi,

I hope someone can help me here. I'm using version 11 and had originally tried to clone the built in drive to the external drive. It failed, the clone was not bootable, the PC kept rebooting.

I then read that the target drive should be in the computer and the source outside - I cleaned the new drive of all the partitions and swapped them.

Then, with the CD, did a clone. Settings were automatic and the partitions were adjusted automatically to a larger size.

After that there was a reboot and then I saw the Dell diagnostic application and not Vista. I have no clue what is going wrong here but I've already spent hours trying to clone my old drive to the new one.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. I do not have a Vista recovery CD as the Vista OS is on the source HDD.

Thanks

DickS

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dicks0,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please note that clone made from internal drive to external will not boot. It's necessary to clone drive from internal drive to internal. Also, we would suggest you to perform complete disk backup and recovery instead of cloning, following this sequence:

1. Create complete backup of your source drive (Operations -> Backup -> My Computer -> Disks and Partitions) and save it to external drive

2. Replace your internal drive with new one

3. Boot your PC from bootable CD with our program and follow to Operations -> Recovery, then recover your image to the new drive on your PC (you will be able to resize each partition during the recovery if you choose partitions one by one).

Detailed information about Acronis True Image Home product can be found in User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.