clone drive wont boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wasbear, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasbear

wasbear Registered Member

i got a new sata hard drive and cloned my old hard drive to it it seemed to work fine removed old hard drive next day new drive wont boot put in old drive comp boots fine also tried cloneing from rescue disk same thing am i missing something why would it work day one but next day wont boot i ran all the tests i could on new sata drive and test say its ok. old drive is 34gig
    new drive is 320 gig

2. Lobo93065

Lobo93065 Registered Member

I am having a similar problem...

I tried Acronis True Image 10.0 to clone my 200GB drive to a 400GB
    drive. Both drives are SATA, and the OS is XP sp2. Using either
    automatic or manual methods, I cannot get any sort of image on the
    drive, even though True IMage appears to go through the motions of
    cloning.

I have verified that XP recognizes the drive -- I can create a
    formatted partition within XP.

When I run the clone program, it deletes the new partition. When it is
    all done and I reboot (without moving the new drive into boot
    position), the drive does not show up on the drive list.

I have tried to boot from it, and it will not boot. I suspect it has
    been blanked and that is all that has happened.

Any ideas what I can do with Acronis to resolve this?

Thanks,

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Normal rule on cloning is to:

Make the clone. Do not let the machine reboot.

Remove the old drive either physically or removing data cable.

Boot up new clone drive without the old one.

After the first successful boot the old one can be reconnected for whatever purpose you want. The problem that this addresses is that a clone is exactly that, a clone and the OS gets confused by seeing identical partition signatures if both identical drives are in the machine at first bootup.

4. Lobo93065

Thanks, but after True Image says it is okay to shutdown, I connect the cloned drive to the cable of my original boot drive. I get an startup message like "Error, unable to locate operating system." BIOS recognizes the drive, but that's it.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

But did disconnect the original drive during the restart. Windows gets confused if you didn't do that. See this link for an explanation Multi-Booting with Windows in an Extended Partition.

6. Lobo93065

Yes, I did that.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Lobo93065,

Your reported problem doesn't appear to be related to retained Disk ID's caused by initially booting into Windows with both drives connected.

Have you tried repeating the clone operation from within the TI bootable rescue CD environment?

Regards

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wasbear,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists with the latest build, please clarify if you received any error message upon booting from the cloned drive. Could you please tell us what operating system you use?

In addition, please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lobo93065,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please describe the actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step? Please also clarify the exact error message you received when tried to boot your computer from the cloned hard drive.

Please also try to clone the drive when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD crated with the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home as Menorcaman suggested. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue still persists, please created Acronis Report the way described in the above post and then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.