Clone disk problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SDPCMCE, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDPCMCE

SDPCMCE Registered Member

Hello,

I just bought True Image 10 Home.

I face a problem with the clone disk function.

My system : Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition

One system disk (Internal SATA 320 Gb) (Source disk)

One disk empty to back up the system disk (Internal SATA 320 Gb) (target disk)

I follow exactly the process required by True Image.
    My system reboot several times.
    A special Acronis window opens several times but at the end of the process my PC reboots and becomes ready as usual (Acronis True Image does not restart) but there is nothing on the back up disk. It remains empty.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2007. The problem is the same as the protection is on or off.

My True Image build is 4871. I have tried to load the last one (4942) but it does not work. The link to access the load does not work (IE can't find the page)

What can I do to solve the problem ? I mainly bought True Image to make a sytem clone disk...

Thanks a lot

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Make the bootable True Image Rescue CD and use it to do the Clone process.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you registered your product on the Acronis web site? Once you are registered, you can logon and download the current build of TI 10.

If your browser can't find the Acronis web site, www.acronis.com, you have another problem.

You have two identical drives. Why do you want to clone the first to the second? The second drive can only be used for one backup that way, and you will have to open the case and disconnect the drive after each cloning to prevent Windows from seeing it.

It makes far more sense to use the second disk to store images of the first drive. Since images are of only the used portion of the drive and compressed, you could probably store several images and easily keep your backup up-to-date.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SDPCMCE,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that, as jmk94903 pointed, there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.