Clone Disk Operation Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The JAB Sr., Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The JAB Sr.

The JAB Sr. Registered Member

I am attempting to Clone a Windows XP Pro (SP2) system residing on an old 40GB Maxtor D540X-4D drive (with two partitions [C:OpSys/NTFS] and [D: Data/FAT32]) onto a new unpartitioned 80GB Western Digital EIDE Caviar SE WD800JB drive, using True Image 9.0 Home (Trial Version). The drives are connected as Master/Slave respectively on the same IDE ATA/133 cable. Each drive is jumpered as Cable Select. The system BIOS specifies Auto Detect and LBA for the new WD device. (I have made no other BIOS configuration changes for either drive.) Both the system BIOS and the Windows Device Manager recognize and report the correct drive geometry for the new WD drive.

However, when I initiate an Automatic mode Clone Disk operation, using all of the standard defaults, it consistently fails. (It fails in Manual mode also.) Under Windows the operation seems to begin normally. Soon it issues the message: "Locking Partition C:". Soon thereafter it issues a "Warning: Operation Cancelled" message and initiates a reboot sequence. Under DOS(?), TI takes some time "Analysing Partitions [###...###] 100%", then Issues the message: "Error: Disk not found". After pressing 'any' key, a reboot into Windows is initiated. Back in WinXP, the two disks appear to be in the same state as when the whole process started.

My questions are: 1) What is my precise problem?, 2) Is that problem in the Windows or the DOS(?) portion of the process?, 3) What can I do to correct the error and get a disk cloned?, and 4) Could there be significant differences in the way the Windows and DOS(?) portions of TI interpret the Cable Select disk configuration?

Also, there appears to be an error in the True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide. On page 74, in paragraph 2, under Section "B.1.3 Installation modes, jumpers", it states "...BIOS will deem as <<master>> the disk that is connected to the IDE cable closer to the motherboard than the other one." If that is/was ever true, it is not true for my system now. Indeed my IDE
    ATA/133 cable documentation clearly states that the Blue End Connector is the <<Motherboard>> connection, the Grey Middle Connector is the <<Slave>> Drive connection, and the Black End Connector (farthest from the motherboard) is the <<Master>> Drive connection. If my Cable, my system BIOS, Windows, and I are all wrong about this, it may be the simple reason for my Disk Cloning failure. However, while my cable documentation and I could easily be wrong about this, I do not believe that the BIOS and Windows would be misreading the Master/Slave relationship between my two Cable Selected drives.

2. bottom

bottom Registered Member

don't think this problem is jumper/master/slave related
    as Your windows installation is (hopefully) running flawlessly...

From "Read Before Posting"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317
    >...
    >Please include in your request the build number of the product,
    >which you can find in the Help -> About dialog
    >(it should be a 3- or 4-digit number), version of your operating system
    >and Acronis Report file: Please download Acronis Report utility,
    >http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe
    >run it and create a report.
    >Please note that the default name of this file is "report.txt" and it is saved on your desktop.

bottom

3. The JAB Sr.

The JAB Sr. Registered Member

The additional information requested is...

The ATI Build Number: 3677 (Downloaded yesterday).
    My OpSys: Windows XP Pro (SP2) ...with all current maintenance applied.

The Acronis Report File has been created, uploaded, and is attached to this post.

Attached Files:

4. bottom

bottom Registered Member

the problem seems to be
    > "Locking Partition C:". Soon thereafter it issues a "Warning: Operation Cancelled"

everything happening after that could just be consecutive faults

could be some virus scanner or background service that prevents TI from locking partition c

> (It fails in Manual mode also.)
    if by this You mean that You already tried to use the rescue cd to start cloning from there
    then it seems to be a compatibility problem

with the report.txt file acronis support should be able to help You
    or You could try "quiet acpi=off noapic" mentioned in
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

bottom

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello The JAB, Sr.,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please be aware that Acronis True Image is capable of performing the disk cloning in two different ways:

1. The disk cloning can be started from within Windows.

In this case computer is rebooted into the so-called "native mode" with all Windows drivers, but no applications other than Acronis True Image running. However, as bottom has already mentioned above, the disk cloning is still being initialized from within Windows and so problems may arise if some third-party software interferes with Acronis True Image not allowing it to do a disk clone.

2. The disk cloning can be performed when computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for a wide variety of modern hardware devices. By running the disk cloning in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment one can exclude the possibility of any third-party software interfering with Acronis True Image as no operating system or any other applications are running in this case. However, Bootable Rescue CD made with the free trial version of Acronis True Image only allows you to restore backups, so the above is not an option in your case.

According to the above, we recommend that in the first place you try to temporarily disable any third-party software that may require an "exclusive" access to the hard drive such as any antivirus\antispyware applications, other backup software, disk and partition managing programs, etc.

If that does not help then please check each partition of the source hard drive by Windows utilty: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging, try to perform the disk cloning once more and see the result.

If checking the hard drives and updating the drivers does not help either then please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Provide the exact text of the error messages that appear upon the attempt to perform the disk cloning;

- Let us know when these error messages appear exactly.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Provide the collected files and information in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.