Clone Disk Major Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SteveH2, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveH2

SteveH2 Registered Member

Using Home Ver 10, Vista 32 - Added an additional SATA 1Tb hard drive all going well BIOS recognised new drive etc. Followed cloning instructions again all well until it asked for reboot to lock C:. After this the system ran through its normal startup until just before loading windows and just hung. Eventually after no change rebooted and now the new 1TB hard disk shows as formatted at 32MB.

I then ran the Acronis rescue disk from boot and recloned which reported that it had completed with errors. Now the 1TB disk seems formatted at 32MB.

The original source disk had two partions and it looks like it has just copied the first portion a backup portion of a 500MB disk. All reformatting attempts now show the 1TB disk abeing 32MB

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Boot with the bootable Rescue CD, look for the Add New Disk feature and use that feature on the 1Tb drive. For safety disconnect the original hd when doing it.

3. SteveH2

SteveH2 Registered Member

Thanks this has got the disk back to being recognised as 1TB but still wont clone. I think the problem has something to do with the first portion on the original disk as it has a section of 11MB reserved for a rescue disk.(This PC was bought from a well known vendor and didn't come with the Vista disks so I presume this portion of the hard drive is for restoring windows?) The remaining 470M is then the normal operating system. On the first clone I noticed that it was trying to make the first section the bootable and leaving the remaining unallocated. I attempted a manual clone and both portions were active (yellow) but still wont boot.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SteveH2,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

To overcome the issue create full drive backup (do not include service partition) and restore it using Acronis bootable disc. After restore download Windows Vista Recovery disc ISO image and create bootable disc using third-party burning software.

Then boot from the created disc and repair BCD, the issue should be resolved.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.